Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 06:08 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

Come back when you grow up.
It's amazing how that works... my son and I have a political discussion about once a year and it's an amazing transformation to watch.

I ask his views at 18 as he went off to college. They changed more and more with each life event. From graduating college, to getting married... and now... as a soon to be dad...

We all thought at 18 we could, "change-the-world" for the better. Now.. at my age... I'll feel fortunate to become worm dirt without it being any worse...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 06:15 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jas182 View Post
In the UK the National Health Service is a god send! It's free, and everyone is equal (though imo non-UK citizens should pay insurance!)! I've watched some American TV programs on the internet and I got quite angry that Walter White had to think about funding to help his cancer. In a British perspective it seems absolutely absurd! Only the rich will get a brilliant health service, while the middle classes have to scrape the barrel to get a health service and the poor just have to die! How is this fair? what happened to compassion in America? I thought America was a Christian nation? I thought America was the land of the Liberty? To me, it just seems like the Government doesn't care about the people, and just it's money making self!
Now I can understand why non-citizens should have to pay insurance. But that aside, America is apparently the richest nation on earth - So why are Americas poorest suffering? Please, help me understand why so many Americans are so opposed to the NHS?
Why would you think Americans hate a Universal Single Payer system? Actually, the opposite is true.

Old 09-02-2014, 06:46 AM

2,173 posts, read 2,581,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Why would you think Americans hate a Universal Single Payer system? Actually, the opposite is true.
Then How come you don't have one?

Old 09-02-2014, 06:56 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Because the American people don't run the Country, American money does.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Because the American people don't run the Country, American money does.
So your saying America is corrupt? If so, then I agree!

Old 09-02-2014, 07:05 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,167,635 times
As I understand it, in the UK and Canada, the healthcare is clinic based. In the US, it's more hospital based, which is much more expensive to dispense. For an NHS system to work in the US, we'd need to create more healthcare clinics.

I think that in the cities, there needs to be reasonably priced clinics that are open 24/7 so that the emergency rooms could focus on trauma care.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:06 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,747,294 times
Quote:
Through taxes. But not through expensive and independent companies like in America, where they can rip Americans off through unfair insurance while many Americans can't afford it! At the end of the day, Heath Insurance corporations don't care about the poor man living on the streets, they only care about making themselves more money! Money making and healthcare shouldn't be mixed together!
So why not let foreigners have it too?

Old 09-02-2014, 07:08 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Read it again because it answers the question quite well:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
You have roughly 63 million people right? We have roughly 313 million. We have 43% who pay no federal income tax. So we have roughly 143 million who pay no taxes. HHHmmm... bet you wouldn't have "free" health insurance either if you were dealing with those numbers. Honestly... if we had say a 85 to 90% tax payment record, where 85% of ALL Americans were paying I'd think that single payer should be considered.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:18 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,869,682 times
Quote:
Yeah I'm young! But rather than stating that, tell me if I'm wrong? If I am, then I've learned something!
Well, seeing as how you are so young, you probably don't have much firsthand experience with the NHS.

It's not without its fair share of scandals for one:

'Up To 13,000 Needless Deaths' In NHS Hospitals

The victims of the latest NHS scandal - Telegraph

Stafford Hospital scandal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/h...units.24376806

NHS “covered up” scandal at flagship centre for rape victims | The Bureau of Investigative Journalism

You can't offer the NHS as a viable alternative to the American system with the deficiencies in the NHS are as bad or worse than the US. By the way, it took me about five minutes to find those.

Also, the NHS isn't "free". It is paid for by taxes, so instead of paying for healthcare directly, the costs are merely hidden in various taxes.

Also, for all its faults the American healthcare system is a major leader in innovation. Most surgeries, treatments, medications, and medical equipment are developed in the US. If the healthcare system was fully nationalized that would take away the incentive for many companies to develop those products because the profit motive has been removed.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
You have roughly 63 million people right? We have roughly 313 million. We have 43% who pay no federal income tax. So we have roughly 143 million who pay no taxes. HHHmmm... bet you wouldn't have "free" health insurance either if you were dealing with those numbers. Honestly... if we had say a 85 to 90% tax payment record, where 85% of ALL Americans were paying I'd think that single payer should be considered.
Can I ask. What class isn't paying the 43% federal income tax? Or is it about state?
Also, why aren't 100% of people paying tax? It seems unfair that some are paying into the system, whereas other aren't!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies