Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2014, 12:06 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,902,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
You may want to check your facts. Coca, opium, and cannabis differ quite a bit as far as qualities and effects that they have on the individual.
So far he has no facts, but is long on emotion, oh well one cannot force another to learn.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:16 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,959,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
So far he has no facts, but is long on emotion, oh well one cannot force another to learn.

Seriously. The Mr. Mackey approach of "drugs are bad mmmkay" and that's all there is to it, isn't going to cut it with me. Are there drugs that are more dangerous than others? Sure. However; cannabis, while certainly not completely harmless, is a lot safer alternative than a lot of substances legal or otherwise.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:21 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,450,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Your ignorance is exposed. But I will try to help you understand markets.

1. There are different grades and they command different prices. High quality can easily cost double the price of medium quality.
True
Quote:
2. There are huge fluctuations in prices depending on the city. Both legal and street prices vary by more than 100% from city to city. Eventually, this will be less so.
Not in my experience
Quote:
3. Prices change quickly, especially in CO where new producers and outlets are coming on line every week.
While prices vary, new producers & outlets are not coming online every week
Quote:
The facts are that pot was $500 per ounce in Denver earlier this year. The price has come down a lot but is still much higher than street prices when normalizing for quality and location.
I've never seen prices anywhere near that high. I can ask. The dispensary's right up the street.

We're on the same page - I just haven't experienced these to date.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:37 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,707,557 times
Quote:
Prohibitionists can't be bothered with the facts.

I was thinking about the prohibition of alcohol, think about it from this stand point.. the prohibition of alcohol was a total failure!! we all know that, even fin will have to crow up to such a fact.. alcohol is way harder to produce than pot , takes up way more volume , is way heavier than pot, and yet they could not stop the flow of booze.. how the hell could they stop the flow of pot??? a plant that can be grown almost any where on the planet..

a case of beer, wine, or hard liquor is the equivalent to like two cubic feet, one can compress like 50 pounds of weed into that same two cubic feet.. case of Heineken $29, that same case pact full of high grade quality weed could go as much as 150 thousand..

one empty fifth bottle of alcohol could probably hold 10 thousand Percocet or other opiate pills, that same bottle could hold like 100 thousand hits of acid..

two cubic feet of cocaine 500 thousand dollars??? or more.. you get the picture, they will never be able to stop drugs..

not to mention the chemist and the teenagers keep coming up with new ways to get high.. the newest ones I heard about is smoking alcohol and poppy seeds off the buns!!! yep, if you did not know that?? fairies wear boots and you got to believe me I tell ya no lies..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQFmKPA-iAg

Last edited by cruxan; 09-03-2014 at 01:09 PM..

Old 09-03-2014, 12:49 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,162,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
When they set the tax rate so high, they set themselves up for failure. It isn't surprising. people will continue to keep their medical marijuana cards, grow their own or buy on the black market to avoid the heavy taxes.
We voted on a higher pot tax and I voted against it for exactly this reason. I don't smoke it and don't plan to, but if it's legal, make the prices reasonable to get rid of the black market.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:51 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,064,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
I was thinking about the prohibition of alcohol, think about it from this stand point.. the prohibition of alcohol was a total failure!! we all know that, even fin will have to crow up to such a fact.. alcohol is way harder to produce than pot , takes up way more volume , is way heavier than pot, and yet they could not stop the flow of booze.. how the hell could they stop the flow of pot??? a plant that can be grown almost any where on the planet..
Which means it should be, in it's legal form, cheap.

Old 09-03-2014, 12:58 PM

13,620 posts, read 12,707,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Which means it should be, in it's legal form, cheap.

the farmer in Mexico can grow like 2.2 pounds of weed for a $100.. that's like $3 an once.. mark it up to 50 to 75 an once, what a huge profit...

Old 09-03-2014, 01:00 PM

45,137 posts, read 26,317,877 times
I wonder if the o.p. has any data on the projections of collected tomato plant taxes?

Old 09-03-2014, 01:05 PM

20,328 posts, read 14,547,380 times
I laughed at this article when our local news first reported it on my FB feed. (A decidedly anti-pot news station by the by, always with the alarmist headlines.)

The money is not MISSING.

It's just that because of our TABOR type state tax laws here, if they make more tax revenue than projected, they have to refund it to all the taxpayers in the state. So it only makes sense that they'd set the benchmark high, not knowing what to expect. Then there's the fact that many communities in CO voted not to allow rec. shops to open up in their boundaries. It's not like the RMJ shops were EVERYWHERE. The state is sparsely populated except in a few bigger cities, and Colorado Springs is probably the second biggest after Denver...we have no rec shops. Not allowed here.

In Pueblo, where they did allow them, it was considerably more than just state tax on the product, the county and city also taxed it. And guess what? They made so much revenue that Pueblo county residents are expecting a refund.

So there is no failure to generate tax revenue and no missing money, just an overestimation on the part of the state, most likely a strategic one at that.

Old 09-03-2014, 01:14 PM

77,012 posts, read 47,481,489 times
Quote:
You may want to check your facts. Coca, opium, and cannabis differ quite a bit as far as qualities and effects that they have on the individual.
I replied to an argument which said a plant is a plant, be it pot, corn wheat, strawberry so I added a few more plants to the list, coca and opium poppy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.