Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 04:00 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
No one ever shoots to wound. You shoot until the threat stops.
I've never shot anyone so...

In any case, there's a such thing as shooting with the hope that you don't kill someone. I'll give the cops the benefit of the doubt.

That said, I'm glad he isn't dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2014, 04:23 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Probably should bring back the voter testing while we are at it as well as mental health checks for everyone that wants a drivers license.
1) Voter tests in any form are explicitly forbidden by the constitution.

2) The SCotUS has repeatedly ruled that regulations on firearms are legal.

3) Cars have a legit purpose besides just killing people. Your position is as laughable as it is stupid.

Old 09-02-2014, 04:38 PM

24,388 posts, read 23,044,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
Maybe he wanted to be shot in the head....bullet proof vest would not have
prevented that.

I agree if he was black he would have been shot dead. E.g.. Look at the guy wailing a knife at officers in North St. Louis. They shot him dead and IMO he was less of a threat than this guy aiming a gun at everyone.
>>>> You might also think about the homeless Arizona white man who was also wielding a knife when he was shot multiple times in the back and killed. I know, it never made your radar.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:03 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I've never shot anyone so...

In any case, there's a such thing as shooting with the hope that you don't kill someone. I'll give the cops the benefit of the doubt.

That said, I'm glad he isn't dead.
I'm glad his isn't dead as well. But him not being dead is direct result of the police missing what they were trained to aim for (chest area) which gives the best balance of target size and ease of stopping threat.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:05 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Kudos to the San Diego police for this one. They could've easily killed this guy and been justified in doing so (according to the law)...but they managed to wound him instead and i'm assuming that they intentionally shot to wound and not to kill.

Armed man shot, injured by San Diego police in Mission Bay - YouTube
It happens thousands of times a week.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It happens thousands of times a week.
My ass.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:14 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Police are trained to shoot for center mass, and to stop, never to wound nor to kill. For that matter, any well-trained civilian gun owner knows to do the same. The objective is to do whatever is necessary to end a lethal threat. Restraint, or lack thereof, is just not a part of the equation.

People often ask wonder why cops don't shoot guys in the knee, or shoot the gun out of their hand like the Lone Ranger used to do. Either the hand or knee are very small, very moving targets. No cop is trained to shoot for a small, moving target in response to a lethal threat. That's a good way to end up w/ a dead cop.

Only in the event that shots to center mass fail to stop (e.g. due to body armor) is the head shot attempted. "Two to the chest, one to the head" was the rule of the late "gunner's guru" Col. Jeff Cooper.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:33 PM

2,727 posts, read 2,832,514 times
A guy pulls a gun on cops and kudos to them for showing restraint? Fck that - you pull a gun on a cop, there is absolutely no further use for you in society. No second chances, no rehabilitation, no being housed on tax payers dime. Someone pulls a gun on a cop, that cop better be damn sure to 1000% end that threat

Old 09-03-2014, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeymags View Post
A guy pulls a gun on cops and kudos to them for showing restraint? Fck that - you pull a gun on a cop, there is absolutely no further use for you in society. No second chances, no rehabilitation, no being housed on tax payers dime. Someone pulls a gun on a cop, that cop better be damn sure to 1000% end that threat
Meh..all's well that ends well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies