Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 01:54 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Is Canada an option for transfer? I suspect you'd really like it here.
We may have some kind of a partnership or a subsidiary in Toronto, but we don't have an office there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 02:11 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
We may have some kind of a partnership or a subsidiary in Toronto, but we don't have an office there.
You'll just have to visit, then. Have you been to our fair city? I meet a lot of Americans at all the festivals. Most of them ask "Oh, I LOVE this place! How easy is it to move here? Do I have to speak French to get a job?"
Come on up, and I'll play host.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:45 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
You'll just have to visit, then. Have you been to our fair city? I meet a lot of Americans at all the festivals. Most of them ask "Oh, I LOVE this place! How easy is it to move here? Do I have to speak French to get a job?"
Come on up, and I'll play host.
I've been to Toronto and Vancouver, but not Montreal. Oddly enough, unless I moved there under the skilled worker program, I would likely be moving to Quebec (and by extension Montreal) under their investor/entrepreneur program. I would like to eventually start and run a mutual fund or possibly a bank, but I don't know if that is a business that Quebec would like or not.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:51 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
Quote:
Lol! Yes. Life in Canada is exactly like living in Nazi Germany.
Too funny!
Thanks for completely ignoring my point and creating a strawman

Old 09-04-2014, 02:57 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,354,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Of course we do have a choice. You can barter for products and avoid using public roads, service etcetera.
The question is why would you want to? Would your life be better this way?

Why? The government is comprised of people just like yourself? Do you have a problem with 'trust' in general?

No. Lol. There was never much of government assistance in Somalia or Afghanistan . Lol

I am afraid that it is not the government that you despise but the society. It is not the government that is telling you how to behave, it's the society. the government only "puts a face" on otherwise anonymous society. The government is just the enforcer.

Unfortunately for you, the society will not change for you or go away altogether so it only leaves you with an option of immigrating to a country without a strong government.
Somalia? Afghanistan? Syria ? Take your pick and send us a postcard.
I'm on my phone so I have to make this quick, but for me it comes down to the fact that initiating force is wrong and treating people's property as if it doesn't truly belong to them is no way for a society to function.

Old 09-04-2014, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Thanks for completely ignoring my point and creating a strawman
You didn't really have one. You keep comparing our democracy with Nazi Germany, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:01 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,635,426 times
Look at the portion of the US federal budget currently consumed by Medicare and Social Security. If that's not massive reliance on the government, then what is?

Old 09-04-2014, 03:06 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Ya for sure. The USA would rather spend their money on keeping millions locked up in jail. Fighting the never ending war on drugs, militarizing all the LEOs, watching most of the largest cities become urban wastelands, watching the ever growing divide between haves and havenots and an entire host of other problems created because of the default RWNJ position the country takes, instead of offering some sane solutions to what ails the country.

It will come eventually or get ready to become Mexico north.
Pretty much.

The right-wing goons want us to be a third world country. Just go to poor neighborhoods in all our big cities, then compare them to the slums in other developed countries.

Also, only a handful of U.S. cities top the "most livable" global cities rankings (SF and Boston are just about it...). Ironically, it is European, Canadian, and Australia cities at the top of those lists consistently.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Pretty much.

The right-wing goons want us to be a third world country. Just go to poor neighborhoods in all our big cities, then compare them to the slums in other developed countries.

Also, only a handful of U.S. cities top the "most livable" global cities rankings (SF and Boston are just about it...). Ironically, it is European, Canadian, and Australia cities at the top of those lists consistently.
But...but....we can't bring handguns to supermarkets or church. That wouldn't make them "most livable" by Republican standards.

Old 09-04-2014, 03:14 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'm on my phone so I have to make this quick, but for me it comes down to the fact that initiating force is wrong and treating people's property as if it doesn't truly belong to them is no way for a society to function.
Nobody is holding a gun to your head. You don't like living in a society and under society's rules then you can always leave for a better place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies