Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2014, 04:00 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
I have a hunch the OP has never been to Canada or Europe.
Sounds like he's never been to AMERICA either or he surely would not have posted such a stupidly inane piece of garbage! You cannot take one step in the U.S. without being confronted with some aspect of government oversight be it state or federal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 04:07 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,347,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
That is what free humans do anyway. Do you voluntarily obey laws that you think are immoral? If you do, then I applaud your unwavering allegiance to a fictional entity that only serves those in power.
The statist mindset is strong on this forum.

The fear of the unknown is so ingrained that it reminds me of a child needing a lucky blanket to sleep with or else the closet monster will get her.

1. There is no closet monster.
2. Even if there was a closet monster that lucky blanket isn't going to fight off the beast.

But alas, grab that blanky!

Old 09-04-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It was Thunder Bay.

Are you sure they don't scan your license when you show it? Same thing.

This was 1980 so it was old school tech. We were in Vancouver for a hockey tournament some years back but still in the modern era-probably around '07. They asked for my ID and scanned it into their computer. So they have a picture of my ID with the purchase. I figured it was the same policy with new technology.

I know I didn't like it and that's never happened in the US.
I get asked for my Canadian photo ID driver's license when buying booze at WALMART EVERY SINGLE time in Florida and I'm 68 years old.

I get asked for my photo ID driver's license in every single one of your airports when attempting to purchase an alcohol beverage at a restaurant.

You really got to get out more!

Old 09-04-2014, 04:45 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,965,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
What argument? It's reality. We have ugly, murderous ghettos in the middle of most big cities. We have widespread poverty of Appalachia and the South. And we allow it to continue, don't we?
Again, explain what "allow" means.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
I don't think you get it. Obama can't stop shootings in Chicago or anywhere else.
It's the failed social system that will forever haunt American public life that causes them.
Harmonious development is the only sustainable option for this and any other society.
The "bolded" is a myth.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
That's cost of "doing business" as a society. The American low-taxing system will shortly prove unsustainable.
No, that's the cost of immoral, greedy, rapacious government.

It is unsustainable.

The only sustainable system is free enterprise and minimalist government.

Old 09-04-2014, 04:57 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
It was Thunder Bay.

Are you sure they don't scan your license when you show it? Same thing.

This was 1980 so it was old school tech. We were in Vancouver for a hockey tournament some years back but still in the modern era-probably around '07. They asked for my ID and scanned it into their computer. So they have a picture of my ID with the purchase. I figured it was the same policy with new technology.

I know I didn't like it and that's never happened in the US.
They never ask me for my license at the liquor store. I pick a bottle of rum or vodka, and pay for it at the cash register. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Here's a thought for you. I'm 68 years old and am required to show ID at Walmart in Fla to prove I'm old enough to buy booze. In American Airports I'm required to show my I/D in restaurants and cafes before I can be served alchohol. How's your American Butt handle that?

Now let's move along to being thrown in jail for collecting rainwater on your own land.

Oregon Man Sentenced to 30 Days in Jail -- for Collecting Rainwater on His Property | CNS News

And then we can discuss EBT cards and food supplements to the extent that fully 50% of your population are reliant upon gover't handouts to freak'n feed themselves:

We've Crossed The Tipping Point; Most Americans Now Receive Government Benefits - Forbes

Let's also take a moment to consider Bush/Obamaphones for single baby mommies with multiple kiddies from multiple daddies:

Welfare Recipients

Tax rates compared across a few of the countries you've chosen to disparage:

BBC News - Which country has the highest tax rate?

My goodness that link shows Canada being 2% LOWER than you morons and still getting Universal Healthcare in the bargain.

Individual income tax rates table | KPMG | GLOBAL

Gee this one shows individual income tax rate in Canada being a full ten percent lower.

Now in summation; you make a broad brush statement of OTHER countries being reliant upon government largesse or oversight and you're the freak'n nation that has had this chit in place for decades: Foodstamps, EBT cards, Medicare, Medicaid, the VA, Obama phones, TAX deductions for everything from mortgage payments to dental expenses. NSA snooping in your private lives, Patriot ACT allowing for full abrogation of any of your rights to habeus corpus on the whim of any one of three government entities deeming you someone of interest YOU can be thrown in jail INDEFINITELY under that little piece of legislation.

Most of us don't crow about our freedoms because if we did you would have very early on learned you're less free than many of those countries you're slanging as "used to and reliant upon gov't oversight".
Not to mention: we can marry whoever we want, visit any country we want (Cuba), buy any sized sugary drink we want, nibble a PopTart into the shape of a gun if we want, and have an abortion if we want, without being subjected to invasive vaginal ultrasounds.
Yeah, let's talk about freedoms!

Old 09-04-2014, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
They never ask me for my license at the liquor store. I pick a bottle of rum or vodka, and pay for it at the cash register. I have no idea what you're talking about.
That went the way of the dodo years ago. It was a feature to prevent underage from buying liquor. We used to approach a table like the old banks used to have with deposit and withdrawal slips and fill out a form listing our age, address and license number of car. After selecting our purchases we handed the slip over to the counter clerk while paying for our goods. Now it's just a simple guess-and-by-golly age verification based upon the counter people visually assessing your age.

However; the TSA or some such in the U.S. has forced policy upon all alcohol providers within international airports to verify by demanding photo ID .. My wife at 66 years of age got such a kick out of the server in the Carrabas Restaruant in Tampa Int'l demanding to see her I/D. I swear she was going to adopt the kid. He explained it was a FEDERAL regulation to demand EVERYONE'S ID before serving an alcoholic beverage.

Walmart apparently has some policy in effect also as we were required to show ID there as well in Polk County Florida.

Old 09-04-2014, 05:20 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
And how many of those oh-so-sure-they-are-superior Europeans have been to the US and know its vast diversity of life? Almost none. Some visit a big city or two, but grasp nothing.
Hi. I lived in Europe for 30-some years (two countries) and have lived in the US for well over a decade. I am not going to get into a generalities-based p.ssing match about the different models, but if you have a concrete example or area you wish to debate, by all means.

As for the "show ID to buy booze" example, well - where I grew up (Denmark) there was no drinking age. None. A nine-year-old could walk up and buy a bottle of booze if he had the money. (It's since been changed and you have to be sixteen to buy beer & wine, 18 to buy hard alcohol.) We drank like fish in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies