Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 05:25 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
If you eat I-phones.
Heh. I switch off the wife on food shopping, been doing it this way for five years.

We're paying much more for much less.

But yes, luxury electronics sure have dropped in price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 09:27 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Now this is just false! Manufacturing started going overseas in the '90s, and I don't remember Bill Clinton or Barack Obama doing one thing to stop it.
The first time I heard about it was in a speech or interview ( don't remember which ) by Al Gore in the 80's. He gave the people a heads up statement, saying that the economy was moving from manufacturing to a service economy, so make plans because there is noting you can do about it. I remember it well at the time because all the large machine shops Like Gardner Denver and Morris Borg Warner, that many people I knew work for, were closed or closing. I thought at the time that it was a crazy idea. But that didn't stop the progress of a policy that has been the most destructive policy to the American people in my life time.

I might add that neither party did anything to to change that direction. So common sense tells me that what was behind it was those that would profit from it and controlled the purse strings of both parties. That is when I realized that we had a government that was not going to act in the best interest of the people and the next 35 years proves the point. Now we are reduced to arguing about what a burger flipper should be paid.

Last edited by phma; 09-05-2014 at 09:42 AM..

Old 09-05-2014, 09:40 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
The truth is no matter the amount; working at lowest professions needed is always going to be at bottom.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:49 AM

20,342 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
Good for the workers. Livable wage FOR ALL!
Do you pay your low skilled workers a living wage?

Old 09-05-2014, 11:14 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Now this is just false! Manufacturing started going overseas in the '90s, and I don't remember Bill Clinton or Barack Obama doing one thing to stop it.
Try the 60's when we were flooded with "Made in Japan".

Old 09-05-2014, 11:27 AM

398 posts, read 698,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Yes...lets pay those burger flippers $31,200 a year...better yet, how about we give them stock options too, 4 weeks paid vacation, defined benefit pension plan.....lets reward these hard workers....who never did much in life to begin with, but they deserve it now.
I'm curious what you have done in your life to warrant the riches you feel you deserve. Cured cancer? Saved lives? Your nasty attitude tells me humanity may not benefit as much from your presence as it would from these food service workers who, yes, serve others for a living.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:46 AM

430 posts, read 379,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
IF I owned or ran a business you betcha I would. I am no better than they when it comes to being able to pay my bills...

Old 09-05-2014, 01:33 PM

20,342 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
IF I owned or ran a business you betcha I would. I am no better than they when it comes to being able to pay my bills...
There are plenty of people who share your generous feelings.

Why don't you collectively pool your resources, obtain loans, investment funding, etc and start your own livable wage-paying company.

The time is now. Seize it.

Old 09-05-2014, 01:34 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
No, I didn't pay them at all. I only promised to pay them. That's how I got myself up by the boot straps !!!

Actually I worked for some I just described and they seemed to be doing alright after I left the job. It's all about turn over for them. I learned one of life's lessons but I admit I was slow and easy to have faith in others.

Old 09-05-2014, 04:56 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
If fast food workers (why is it ALWAYS ff workers on this topic?) were full time, made a decent wage with benefits, AND were give more responsibilities, such as being senior employee, shift supervisors, leads, asst mgrs., etc. (you know...people who actually are invested in the company) this wouldn't be as big of an issue. This is the ONLY way anyone with a good job now got it, they worked their way up and took on more and more responsibility. It's not easy operating and ff place and I assure you there is more to do than stand their "flipping burgers" if you are actually part of the team. Or at least there could be. The way we structure work now is to put everyone in a little compartment (you are in charge of flipping, you are in charge of cleaning, you are in charge of batching out the registers, etc.) combined with making all those job short shift jobs (a crew of 40 sharing the workload of 8 full time people for example). No money, no benefits, no room for growth, no additional responsibilities (no more training even if you have a college degree). WE HAVE CHANGED THE WAY WE WORK AND STAFF AND RUN OUR BUSINESSES.

It's a pain to see people so flippantly saying "you don't deserve anything because you only flip burgers" because they are so incredibly ignorant. It's a trap WE CREATED, and some people are so blind they can't see it until it effects them or their kids or their grandkids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies