Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 11:35 AM

366 posts, read 452,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
The implication that 40 year old men from the 30's were somehow sympathetic to any of these behaviors is the height of ignorance.
You didn't see any of them murdering people who stole things or murdering people just for being different. They wouldn't kill gays, they'd lock them in an asylum. (Which isn't as brutal as murdering them because they valued human life) They were didn't respect women sure, but they believed in Chivalry and treating them nicely and like gentleman. Seeing them abused like that would outrage the man from the 1930s who was raised with a sense of respect for others even if he doesn't always treat them equally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unihills View Post
It's probably a lot easier to talk about from here in the states than to actually do it in Northern Iraq or Syria. From what little I know, were I over there, I'd be leaving if I could, or laying mighty low. Standing up to ISIL or whatever you want to call it is likely a losing proposition in many ways.
I actually meant the rest of the Muslim World. But I'd love to see one of those ISIS goons come to me unarmed. I don't fear them.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:37 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBR View Post
You didn't see any of them murdering people who stole things or murdering people just for being different. They wouldn't kill gays, they'd lock them in an asylum. (Which isn't as brutal as murdering them because they valued human life) They were didn't respect women sure, but they believed in Chivalry and treating them nicely and like gentleman. Seeing them abused like that would outrage the man from the 1930s who was raised with a sense of respect for others even if he doesn't always treat them equally.
I'm sure I could find some certain folks around in the 1930s who weren't that nice... Let me think, for a second.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I'm sure I could find some certain folks around in the 1930s who weren't that nice... Let me think, for a second.
I'm sure you could. But there's not as many as there are radical muslims. You can bet that, especially in America at the time. For every Al Capone and mobster you have 100+ radicals strapping on C4.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:43 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times
Quote:
You seriously think no black or gay man was killed in the 30's just for being who they were? It wasn't all sunshine and lollipops back then either.

Old 09-05-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
You seriously think no black or gay man was killed in the 30's just for being who they were? It wasn't all sunshine and lollipops back then either.
Sure it's not. But they're not killing 10-100,000 people every day like the radicals. You're seriously comparing a little xenophobia with a group on par with Hitler/Stalin/Pol Pot.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
As an american I'm less concerned with radical muslims as I can radical white conservative americans.
Are you scared of Westboro Baptist Church protesting your house? They're the most radical group in the US and they're not even the remote big scary.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:08 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Who said it was?

Old 09-05-2014, 12:10 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
As an american I'm less concerned with radical muslims as I can radical white conservative americans.
Tell me, what about me concerns you?

After all, I am self professed conservative, and since skin color is actually irrelevant, you can pretend I'm white or black, if it helps you find the answer to the question above.

Tell me what threat I pose to your future. Be precise.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:10 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,524,172 times
Quote:
Sure it's not. But they're not killing 10-100,000 people every day like the radicals. You're seriously comparing a little xenophobia with a group on par with Hitler/Stalin/Pol Pot.
You're comparing an average conservative person from 1930s(Where? In the US only or anywhere in the world?) to an extremist that's a small percentage of any population today. An average conservative Muslim of today to an average conservative man from the 1930s compared might be fairly similar in some ways, but probably weren't going to go out and kill any one though their views on something like gays or women might be more conservative than most modern liberal societies. People I know from Syria or Egypt today look at ISIS the same as most Americans do, as a bunch of bloodthirsty nutjobs...

You should just be comparing extremists to extremists then, but there's always been people butchering other people at some place in the world. There were Japanese soldiers were chopping off heads all over Asia in the 1930s, now look at Japan. Latin America was violent in the 1930s with revolutions and dictatorships and now it's violent with crime. Anti-Semitism in Europe peaked by the 1930s into the 1940s as the climax of years of anti-Jewish violence in Europe. Lynch mobs were still active around the US in the 30s, and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies