Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 07:32 AM

Location: On the "Left Coast", somewhere in "the Land of Fruits & Nuts"
8,852 posts, read 10,456,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
If ISIS needs to be defeated, I think it is good we'll have a coalition of nations to share at least some of the burden.
Especially if some of them, like France and Great Britain, have much more experience dealing with the "locals" in the ME than we do, going back to the Ottoman Empire and "Lawrence of Arabia".

Of course our wingnut friends would probably prefer the good old days of unilateral "cowboy diplomacy" that got us there in the first place (aka, "freedom fries" and "mission accomplished")!

Brookings Institute: France and the U.S. enjoy renewed alliance

Old 09-05-2014, 07:34 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,377 times
Quote:
If ISIS needs to be defeated, I think it is good we'll have a coalition of nations to share at least some of the burden.
10 countries will form the coalition and no boots on the ground according to Kerry.

I'm sure you are aware of the fact that coalitions don't necessarily mean putting boots on the ground. It also doesn't mean that X number of military will be sent to fight. It is nice that countries are willing to help the US, especially since IS is the creation of the US.

I can't wait to read about how they are going to get IS to a place where they are "manageable" (whatever that means). There isn't much left of the Iraqi army.

Afghanistan:

Participants in Operation Enduring Freedom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Iraq:

Iceland joined the "coalition of the willing" in Iraq. They sent two people.

Other countries allowed the US to use it's air space.

It also doesn't mean a country is committed until the matter is resolved. Some countries stayed less than a year, or at least a year, in Iraq and didn't see any casualties.

Go down to "List of Countries" in the coalition - Iraq.

Multi-National Force

Old 09-05-2014, 07:40 AM

4,412 posts, read 3,959,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mateo45 View Post
Especially if some of them, like France and Great Britain, have much more experience dealing with the "locals" in the ME than we do, going back to the Ottoman Empire and "Lawrence of Arabia".

Of course our wingnut friends would probably prefer the good old days of unilateral "cowboy diplomacy" that got us there in the first place (aka, "freedom fries" and "mission accomplished")!

Brookings Institute: France and the U.S. enjoy renewed alliance
We don't hear about it much in the abysmal US media, but France has been successfully fighting extremist in west Africa for a few years now and are basically the force keeping Christian militias from performing all out genocide on the muslims of the Central African Republic.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:41 AM

57,286 posts, read 26,206,502 times
UAE and Egypt already bombed some of the terrorists in Libya, the coalition worked quite well in Iraq War 1 maybe they can get it to work again.

Old 09-05-2014, 07:51 AM

3,406 posts, read 3,450,301 times
This is good/bad news.

Good that some countries see this problem and that it needs to be taken out.

Bad that this could centralize isis as the muslim worlds only power a us against the world thing which will make this ww3

Old 09-05-2014, 08:07 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,969,876 times
Quote:
LOL!!!

The "coalition" noise is just that. It's useless posturing.

Coalitions never defeat anyone. The just fall apart when the least committed drops out.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:50 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple8s View Post
10 countries will form the coalition and no boots on the ground according to Kerry.

I'm sure you are aware of the fact that coalitions don't necessarily mean putting boots on the ground. It also doesn't mean that X number of military will be sent to fight. It is nice that countries are willing to help the US, especially since IS is the creation of the US.

I can't wait to read about how they are going to get IS to a place where they are "manageable" (whatever that means). There isn't much left of the Iraqi army.

Afghanistan:

Participants in Operation Enduring Freedom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Iraq:

Iceland joined the "coalition of the willing" in Iraq. They sent two people.

Other countries allowed the US to use it's air space.

It also doesn't mean a country is committed until the matter is resolved. Some countries stayed less than a year, or at least a year, in Iraq and didn't see any casualties.

Go down to "List of Countries" in the coalition - Iraq.

Multi-National Force
I can't help a pessimist. You'll just have to watch and see how it folds out.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:55 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Although Europe has more stake in the outcome as they have allowed millions of potential terrorists into their countries Europe can't solve the problems in the ME either. The only coalition of consequence will be one of ME countries - especially Saudi Arabia that do more than sit on the sidelines and let the US and the "willing" do the job they need to do. I haven't seen a thing from the Saudis except the king telling the US we better act.

Old 09-05-2014, 08:59 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Coalition - the US spending its money and getting its people killed to the cheers of various nations who profit from the war while contributing very little.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:01 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Get your hand out of my pocket and go enlist.
Only if they could translate that thinking (share the burden) on the home front.

We should bring back the draft. If you don't have a job you are required to enlist. I'll bet a lot of people would find jobs then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies