Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2014, 02:35 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
You do realize that for many people it is either take the job or go on unemployment or be homeless. It would be nice if life worked where you could leave one job and just find another job but many times it does not. If they leave that job someone else will take it.
People need to quit being greedy and job hopping all the time. Some people lack some real discipline and work ethic and think too much that if they leave job X they job Y will show up just like that providing so many wonderful things job X didn't. Everyone is always expecting to get bigger and better things without doing anything to earn/deserve them. They think it should just be given to them because they WANT it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 02:39 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
There is this thing called "self-employment" for those who have any marketable skill whatsoever that is an option...

Old 10-01-2014, 02:41 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,424,523 times
Ah, but they would have to see all those wonderful taxes that they don't care/realize that other businesses have to pay and they will learn about overhead...then complain that they can't afford to hire employees for min. wage because of said taxes and overhead not leaving them enough in profits to warrant their own business then

Old 10-01-2014, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
Ah, but they would have to see all those wonderful taxes that they don't care/realize that other businesses have to pay and they will learn about overhead...then complain that they can't afford to hire employees for min. wage because of said taxes and overhead not leaving them enough in profits to warrant their own business then
Yes, all of these mysterious, crazy, and unfair forces in the free market will teach them real quick if they try to actually be an employer instead of someone else's tool.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:42 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,523,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
EXACTLY!!!

All excellent points!
It blows my mind that anyone would consider working hard and getting ahead immoral. Seriously?

Old 10-01-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The problem you're having is that you're allowing yourself to be duped into a dumbed-down corruption of the liberal mindset, probably promulgated by too much time in the right-wing echo chamber that most right-wingers spend their time in. One effectively way of defending immoral selfishness is to mischaracterize what you support and what others condemn within that which you support, as you've done here.

The failures of your rationalizing include that there is any aspect of this that pertains to what people want. A moral society is about how society behaves, not what you individually want or do not want. Until you can develop the capacity to understand the situation in a more substantive manner, you'll be unable to recognize that failure, and recognizing that failure is the first step toward recognizing the others.

So do that, without working against that which society does to ensure that everyone has access to work that allows them to pay their own way and secure their own futures. Stop using your own selfish wants to rationalization obstruction of that which makes up for excessive injustice in the society from which you derive your livelihood. Stop attacking people who you know nothing about because you hate them because their existence interferes with your ability to afford NFL Sunday Ticket.

Exploiting this economy's opportunity to earn income comes with responsibilities to society itself. So we're back to your being blinded by what you want so much that you refuse to allow yourself to see the whole picture - the gain for you, from your engagement with our society's economy, which you do see, and the obligation on you, from your engagement with our society's economy, which you blind yourself to.

Your citizenship is much more than just a contract. If you don't like the terms, then you can leave. Good luck finding a place to accept you as a self-centered, antisocial citizen.

Stop lying to yourself. What is yours is your income after tax. That's the contract of citizenship - imposed even on non-citizens by the way. You're not Lord of the Manor. You're not God. You're a member of a collective group, the citizens of the state and nation. That's all. The only stealing in this context is the refusal to abide by society's precepts regarding taxation, as society determines it, even if you think you deserve more net income than what society determines you get from your gross income.

Then stop objecting to jobs bills and other measures to ensure that more people have access to the ability to pay their own way and secure their own future. Stop stacking the deck against the poor.

A comment for which the only reasonable interpretation is a scurrilous, immorally vindictive intent to cause harm to people you think aren't behaving the way you want them to behave. Who the heck do you think you are? If you want to address what you consider to be lack of effort and bad choices then do so without it benefiting you personally, financially, and without it adversely impacting the ability for anyone - anyone - who does put forth effort and makes the best choices available to them, to access the means to pay their own way and secure their own futures. Your perspective's actual innate laziness is no justification for its vindictiveness toward the perceived laziness of others.

Whether you like it or not, the economy is an artifact of society - not your own personal tool to extract comfort and luxury - and government is the means by which society exercises its ownership of the economy. If you want to have anything to do with the economy, like earning income, "like it or not" you will play by society's rules rather than your own.
I'm not the one who can't see the forest for the trees here and I'm not the one lying to myself. It is selfish to want to take what others have earned. What the rich have left after taxes is theirs. They pay many times over the amount of taxes that the bottom pays. The problem with our system isn't that the rich don't pay enough. It's that the bottom doesn't pay enough. We have too many people who do not pay into the system living off of the system.

This post is garbage and not worth the time to pick apart. Keep telling yourself this crap. It won't make it true. Each of us has a responsibility to take care of ourselves and no one owes us anything. It's up to each of us to make our own way in life. Demanding that others pay your way is pure selfishness. If you want more, then get an education, develop skills, develop a product everyone wants, start your own business, make your own fortune.

The people I know who are successful have worked very hard to get where they are and they do not deserve to have it taken away by some lazy low life who thinks they are owed something because they are jealous of their success and too lazy to do it themselves.

I don't begrudge anyone what they worked hard to achieve. I congratulate them. They're setting an example for others who wish to achieve to follow. Personally, I'm not that ambitious but I know exactly why I'm not rich. It's because of the person who looks back from the mirror not anyone else.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 10-01-2014 at 04:58 PM..

Old 10-01-2014, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Yes, all of these mysterious, crazy, and unfair forces in the free market will teach them real quick if they try to actually be an employer instead of someone else's tool.

I'm always amazed that people who have never run a business seem to think they know so much about businesses and how they run when they don't have a clue. This is just selfish people trying to take what others have worked hard to achieve because they want to be lazy and have what those who work hard have.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEOhioBound View Post
People need to quit being greedy and job hopping all the time. Some people lack some real discipline and work ethic and think too much that if they leave job X they job Y will show up just like that providing so many wonderful things job X didn't. Everyone is always expecting to get bigger and better things without doing anything to earn/deserve them. They think it should just be given to them because they WANT it.
You NAILED the problem. We have too many people who think they deserve the best things in life just because they exist. That's not the way it works.

Old 10-01-2014, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I'm not the one who can't see the forest for the trees here and I'm not the one lying to myself. It is selfish to want to take what others have earned.

This post is garbage and not worth the time to pick apart. Keep telling yourself this crap. It won't make it true.
This thread will never end. There are those who cannot understand the most basic traits of humanity or the market in which they interact with. They cannot, will not, see that you receive precisely what you are worth to your fellow man. They cannot, will not, see that anyone can earn more by being worth more to their fellow man. They fail to realize that it all is rather quite simple. Have a skill, any skill at all, that is worth something of value to your fellow man and you will be rewarded for that skill. If an employer truly was underpaying you, you could offer that same service/labor as a business owner and make more. No one forces anyone to be an employee. And no one forces anyone to take a particular job. If you want to make x dollars an hour or whatever, you simply have to be worth x dollars an hour to someone else. Most people are not going to "overpay" as a form of charity. Everyone expects to get as much for their money as they can. They truly believe that because they are worth nothing to their fellow man, or very little, that that is the fault of the rest of humanity, not them of course.

Now I can throw them a bone, the international or global trade (and illegals in this country) do drive the "labor" rates down for non-skilled positions. However, unless we seal up the borders and do away with trade, that is just a sad fact of the times. America's lowest skilled have to compete with some very poor nations that live well below our standard of living. The only viable solution for minimum wage positions is to find alternative "jobs", services, or God forbid, self-employment which is worth more to your fellow man. It is sad, in a nation that does not bar people from being their own boss, that so many feel somehow obligated to work for someone else. Whenever you work for someone else, of course, that business will use some of that labor value to help their profits. The ONLY way to get full value on the market for one's skills is to offer them directly to the consumer.

Old 10-01-2014, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
This thread will never end. There are those who cannot understand the most basic traits of humanity or the market in which they interact with. They cannot, will not, see that you receive precisely what you are worth to your fellow man. They cannot, will not, see that anyone can earn more by being worth more to their fellow man. They fail to realize that it all is rather quite simple. Have a skill, any skill at all, that is worth something of value to your fellow man and you will be rewarded for that skill. If an employer truly was underpaying you, you could offer that same service/labor as a business owner and make more. No one forces anyone to be an employee. And no one forces anyone to take a particular job. If you want to make x dollars an hour or whatever, you simply have to be worth x dollars an hour to someone else. Most people are not going to "overpay" as a form of charity. Everyone expects to get as much for their money as they can. They truly believe that because they are worth nothing to their fellow man, or very little, that that is the fault of the rest of humanity, not them of course.

Now I can throw them a bone, the international or global trade (and illegals in this country) do drive the "labor" rates down for non-skilled positions. However, unless we seal up the borders and do away with trade, that is just a sad fact of the times. America's lowest skilled have to compete with some very poor nations that live well below our standard of living. The only viable solution for minimum wage positions is to find alternative "jobs", services, or God forbid, self-employment which is worth more to your fellow man. It is sad, in a nation that does not bar people from being their own boss, that so many feel somehow obligated to work for someone else. Whenever you work for someone else, of course, that business will use some of that labor value to help their profits. The ONLY way to get full value on the market for one's skills is to offer them directly to the consumer.
Yup. If you want more, make yourself more valuable. Jobs don't pay what we think they should pay. They pay what the market will bear and as long as there's someone willing to work cheaper either you accept the lower wages or you end up out of work and that person takes the job. It's not personal at all. In fact, it's quite impersonal. Employers pay what they have to to get employees. Unless everyone refuses to take the job, wages don't go up.

I'll tell you this though. If retail does ever go to $15/hour, I'm getting me a part time job. I can barely afford to live on what I make now. If min wage goes to $15/hour, I won't be able to afford anything. I wonder what all the people who want minimum wage increased to $15/hour will think when degreed people go after the jobs they want because everything costs more and so we need a second job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies