Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2014, 07:25 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I'm no fan of the ultra liberal rag - but that interview captured the investigation. if you don't want to watch the video, suit yourself. but don't ask me to provide evidence and then shoot down a video when I post it, just because it's an interview posted somewhere you don't like. I respect what you're doing, but your argument is not very enlightened.
actually I did watch the 'interview' and was disgusted with the liberal lies

sorry but a fake interview with someone who has never even stepped foot in the country, or has no idea what is happening or not happening is just more of the madeup media that you sheeple believe in

might as well be watching alex jones and believing we never landed on the moon

again if you think there is waste here....then JOIN ME and help bringing our troops home and stopping the so-called waste......do you have the shorthairs to leave the triangle to come here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 07:30 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
I've worked in retail and food service and honestly it's not an easy peasy job. It might not require a lot of complex skills or an abundance of brain cells, but it's strenuous on the body, plus it involves working with customers, who can be really a pain in the a$$ a lot of times. On top of that you are usually required to work nights, weekends, holidays etc.

The argument I keep seeing is that these jobs are a step up to something better. However, my counter argument is (1) not everyone is management or trade school material what have you. And (2), looking at the job reports and trends, we are creating a lot of service/retail jobs and not too many skilled jobs. Imagine every retail/service employee went to trade school, will there be jobs for them all?

What is wrong with these people that ring up your coffee to be paid a wage that can afford them a place to live not in the ghetto, food on the table, utilities, a decent vehicle, entertainment and some money to put away. Why do these people have to work 2 or 3 part-time min-wage jobs, just to scrape by. Yes it's not rocket science, but it's still work. Honest work at that. I can tell you that I don't work as hard in my "cushy" office job as I did when I was serving tables in college. At least in the office I don't deal with customers, I can take a break when I want, go online etc.

Here's my math. Average McD's employee makes $7.62/hr (I saw on the news this morning). Lets say this person works 40 hours and then makes $304.80/week or $15,240/year (50 weeks). Taxes would be roughly $400 on this income, single. Expenses might look like this (I'm in Florida):

Rent/bills: $500/mos -$6000 for the year
Cell phone: $50/mos - $600 year
Health Insurance: $200/mos - $2400/yr
Car insurance: $50/mos - $600/yr
Clothes: $300/yr
Food: $100/mos - $300/yr
Gas: $80/mos - $960/yr
Car maintenance: $500/yr
Total: $11,660

This leaves roughly $280/mos for savings/entertainment. Maybe I'm missing some expenses, but these are mine. There is no way to raise a child on this income. Even if it's two earners, most of the expenses double and rent goes up for a bigger place. What if there is an emergency or you need to pay your insurance deductible, there is no thing left. Even upping this person's wage to just $12/hr would give them some room for emergencies/savings etc.

What I'm getting at is, are these peoples not deserving of vacations, children, savings, not having to scrape by. I mean they are putting in 40 hours of labor as well. And to the argument that they can't even get your order right - my argument is there is probably not a lot of motivation. I know I would put in more effort not to get the order wrong and not to get fired if I was making $12/hr vs. $7. Maybe not start out at $12/hr, but after a year or so employment and having proved yourself, why not make $12/hr? There are companies out there that pay these wages and still turn decent profits.
notes that in nyc
rent = 1000 for room share
2000 for studio
2500 for 1 bedroom
3000 for 2 bedroom
3500 for 3-4 bedroom
unless you hit the jackpot in the lottery and get rent controlled/sub apartments 60-70% of NYC are those types after time.

min wage is about 8 bucks
too many tourist and liberal rich people want to live here driving up prices.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:32 AM

2,253 posts, read 2,521,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually I did watch the 'interview' and was disgusted with the liberal lies

sorry but a fake interview with someone who has never even stepped foot in the country, or has no idea what is happening or not happening is just more of the madeup media that you sheeple believe in

might as well be watching alex jones and believing we never landed on the moon

again if you think there is waste here....then JOIN ME and help bringing our troops home and stopping the so-called waste......do you have the shorthairs to leave the triangle to come here
I guess you don't know about the show - these guys go everywhere. And I also guess you didn't watch the video, because they were filming IN Afghanistan the whole time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfM_ymGq9xY

sheeple, Alex Jones. Got any new ones? Why is that your knee jerk response? again, really just not very enlightened. Sorry. I provided evidence, you don't even watch it and label me ridiculous things because I dare question how TRILLIONS of our tax dollars have been spent? who is the sheeple now?

Old 09-06-2014, 07:36 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
I guess you don't know about the show - these guys go everywhere. And I also guess you didn't watch the video, because they were filming IN Afghanistan the whole time.

sheeple, Alex Jones. Got any new ones? Why is that your knee jerk response? again, really just not very enlightened. Sorry. I provided evidence, you don't even watch it and label me ridiculous things because I dare question how TRILLIONS of our tax dollars have been spent? who is the sheeple now?
again...if you THINK that the 'show' is true....JOIN ME

the government is hiring....

come over here and help save the waste

again...IF you THINK its actually true.....be a hero...come and save the 'trillions'

Old 09-06-2014, 07:39 AM

1,013 posts, read 910,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
They already do in food stamps, Medicaid, housing programs, welfare...

These companies are making the taxpayers subsidize their business, when they should pay the full costs of their labor.
actually they pay in welfare
rent subsidies: 700-1000 dollars
food stamps: 200 dollars per person
medical: do not know probably 1000-2000 per year or 100 per month

total? 12000 in poor subsidies
you can make less than 9000 and you are golden 90% of taxes are not going to hurt you.

21000 made per year or 1750
or 80-87 dollars per day if you work 20 days out of a month.

they work about 9000/8 min wage = 1125 hours per year
or 93.75 hours per month
or 21.63 hours per week

or 3 hours of work per day

They have to try DAMN hard being lazy to get perks especially if they are single.
cut off for benefits are 11000 for singles

I would rather the government cut the BS and either give it to everyone or just not give it at all
including disabled people

WE ALSO NEED TO STOP WASTING MONEY GIVING IT AWAY and then leaving the goodies there.
STOP ARMING THEM.
STOP ARMING AND GIVING AID TO ALL COUNTRIES.
100 billion - 1 trillion+ in aid over time already

I would rather we give it to the people here equally. 100 dollars for every man woman and child citizen is better than giving it out in aid to other countries.
thats just 35 billion
1000 is 350 billion
10000 is 3.5 trillion
100000 is 35 trillion

imo giving every citizen 100k would have been 100x better than bailing out the banksters in 2008
giving every citizen 1000 would be better than giving 350+ billion in aid to other countries.

actually if the rich people wanted to make a difference
they should give us 100 dollars and then let us decide which LEGITIMATE charity to give it to.
They can decide what is legitimate then. that would be a good political stunt

Last edited by gen811; 09-06-2014 at 07:48 AM..

Old 09-06-2014, 07:52 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,460,466 times
I don't know why this thread derailed so far.
To the OP: you are asking "whats wrong with paying...." who do you expect to pay livable wages? The employers do not want to, neither care what livable wages are. So what's the question? And unlike a living person, they will simply go out of business if they don't get what they want. Also there are too many job seekers who can be exploited. Too many applicants.
Your long convoluted explanations, quotes, charts and video clips are unnecessary.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:56 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,742,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
I don't know why this thread derailed so far.
To the OP: you are asking "whats wrong with paying...." who do you expect to pay livable wages? The employers do not want to, neither care what livable wages are. So what's the question? And unlike a living person, they will simply go out of business if they don't get what they want. Also there are too many job seekers who can be exploited. Too many applicants.
Your long convoluted explanations, quotes, charts and video clips are unnecessary.
Yes the thread is getting long. Bottom line. There is nothing "wrong" with workers making anything if you don't take into account reality. The reality is people are paid the market value of their labor. Fiddle with that value arbitrarily and the market will correct itself leaving those who "benefited" from the fiddling without any benefit gained at all.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
With automation making inroads people need to start thinking about their next job rather than a higher paying entry level job.
Machines are going to replace many workers and then what will they do ?

I went shopping and hit 4 different stores and in 3 of them I used the self checkout.
The 4th store didn't have one otherwise I would have used it.

Both McDonald's and Walmart have posted declining sales for several quarters now.
McDonald's just posted the worst sales since 2003.
Walmart lowered its expectations since just posting the slowest growth it's had in the past 5 years.

All the financials of these FF/retail places are declining in sales and growth.

You won't get your $15/hour anytime soon.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:17 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,788 times
What has happened is the loss of adult jobs in this country.
When I was thirteen years old, I was a car-hop at a fast food establishment. Many of my teen aged friends worked in fast food or were employed as "bag boys" or as "stock boys" within the many local privately owned grocery stores. I also worked in a grocery store before and after school and during the summer months. Many kids also worked in the fields picking cotton, stacking peanuts, etc. Our parents worked in the local factories such as Vanity Fair, Chemstrand, the paper mills, ribbon mills, saw mills, etc. These local factories finally went away. The private owned grocery stores went by the way with the larger chain stores such as Walmart taking up the space. The days of the car-hop went by the way with Macdonald, Burger King, and other franchises gobbling up the business of fast foods. Machines took over the cotton picking and other farm chores.
My own kids all worked during high school at the local MacDonalds and as waiters in the local restaurants. With the loss of the factories, the adults more and more had to fall back onto the jobs as waiters and waitresses and take the jobs available at the fast food establishments. The school kids lost their avenues of employment to the adults.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:37 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
What has happened is the loss of adult jobs in this country.
When I was thirteen years old, I was a car-hop at a fast food establishment. Many of my teen aged friends worked in fast food or were employed as "bag boys" or as "stock boys" within the many local privately owned grocery stores. I also worked in a grocery store before and after school and during the summer months. Many kids also worked in the fields picking cotton, stacking peanuts, etc. Our parents worked in the local factories such as Vanity Fair, Chemstrand, the paper mills, ribbon mills, saw mills, etc. These local factories finally went away. The private owned grocery stores went by the way with the larger chain stores such as Walmart taking up the space. The days of the car-hop went by the way with Macdonald, Burger King, and other franchises gobbling up the business of fast foods. Machines took over the cotton picking and other farm chores.
My own kids all worked during high school at the local MacDonalds and as waiters in the local restaurants. With the loss of the factories, the adults more and more had to fall back onto the jobs as waiters and waitresses and take the jobs available at the fast food establishments. The school kids lost their avenues of employment to the adults.
I agree with this. A quick look across most any area will yield empty factory after empty factory. My husband's whole town growing up was devastated as the textile mills dried up. And they didn't and still don't have a McDonald's to replace those gone wages...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies