Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2014, 12:16 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I'm going back to school as soon as I can afford it.
really....yet for many years you have been saying '''''you can't''''''

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Sure I do I want to go back to school but can't afford it.

oh please....you have proven time and time again you are not interested in any type of self improvement

Quote:

??? How does someone in a menial dead-end job improve their work skills?
been answered many, many times....you refuse to listen and learn from anyone

Quote:

I can't find full time work, I have no marketable skills and employers prefer unskilled workers half my age, plus I have student loan debt that reduces what little available money I have.

many posters to including myself and one Mod, have given you many, many suggestions and avenues of approach for fixing and helping your situation......

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero
but all you do is give excuses of why you cant....

many have suggested the library.....but you have an excuse of why you cant

many have suggested job shaddowing...but you have an excuse of why you cant

many have suggested grants, loans, etc....you have an exuses of why you cant

all you want to do is blame someone to include your parents, but you never look in the mirror

your 50+ years old man...get with the program

Quote:
but you will have an excuse...you even bragg about how you are on you way to a 2/3 SS pension and are stealing from the government by working off the books

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt
I'm on track to get $900 a month from Social Security. Take that away and I'm in deep doo doo. Poor grandpa, that will be me in a few years.b

What's that you say, I should have saved for retirement? How much do you realistically expect people to save on a $15K income?
http://www.city-data.com/forum/28136761-post187.html

Quote:
so let's see if I get this straight

your 50 something...and supposedly UNSKILLED (at 50...really?????)

you settle for a 15k a year job

save NOTHING

and then plan on getting a 2/3 pension when you retire (900/month is over 10k a year )

btw your contributions to ss 6%...6% of 15k is 900 A YEAR

so you think it good that you contribut 900 a year (and your employeer matches it) for you to get 900/month????? how liberal of you

funny thing is many posters to including myself and one Mod, have given you many, many suggestions and avenues of approach for fixing and helping your situation......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2014, 12:52 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Not surprised to see the typical Conservative responses here.
You shouldn't be surprised. They are the answers anybody who understands basic economics would give you. They are the obvious answers that logically flow from cause and effect analysis rather than trying to force the world to fit an emotional left wing worldview.
Quote:
You should have gotten more skills
Then what there will magically appear a job for me? This is what many college graduates are finding out there is no guarantee a job will be there and you still may be up to you neck in loans and no I am not just talking about people who get degrees in liberal arts.

No, a job won't magically appear when you've gotten some random skill. Apply some critical thinking. First you look at what jobs are available, then what skills are required for those jobs, and then go out to acquire the skills.
Quote:
Quote:
These jobs were not meant to be a career
What evidence do you have of that? Just because you saw a few teenagers work these jobs does not make them not careers. In fact if you go to apply for a job online for these jobs it does not say jobs it says careers.

Again, put your thinking cap on. You don't make a career out of doing something a 40 that a high school kid can do part time after school. That's just stupid.
Quote:
Quote:
The market determines the value
I would like to see evidence of this market value people keep coming up with it seems to be it is determinded by how much an employer wants to pay you. But saying you have low value you should not be paid much is just an excuse to be greedy for the business owner.
You want to see evidence of the market value? Open your eyes. It's everywhere around you. A skateboard costs less than a bicycle which costs less than a car. Is that a foreign concept to you? If not, what makes labor any different? Emptying trashcans pays less than designing a building which pays less than performing brain surgery. It takes a couple hours to become a janitor, a few years to become an architect, and over a decade to become a brain surgeon.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:02 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
You shouldn't be surprised. They are the answers anybody who understands basic economics would give you. They are the obvious answers that logically flow from cause and effect analysis rather than trying to force the world to fit an emotional left wing worldview.

No, a job won't magically appear when you've gotten some random skill. Apply some critical thinking. First you look at what jobs are available, then what skills are required for those jobs, and then go out to acquire the skills.

Again, put your thinking cap on. You don't make a career out of doing something a 40 that a high school kid can do part time after school. That's just stupid.

You want to see evidence of the market value? Open your eyes. It's everywhere around you. A skateboard costs less than a bicycle which costs less than a car. Is that a foreign concept to you? If not, what makes labor any different? Emptying trashcans pays less than designing a building which pays less than performing brain surgery. It takes a couple hours to become a janitor, a few years to become an architect, and over a decade to become a brain surgeon.
Just because a job is available now does not mean it will be available once you graduate. Like I said before we have many graduates who cannot find a job in their field. If a bunch of more people get college degrees there are gonna be even less jobs for everyone. There are just not enough jobs for everyone if all get skills or education. So since when does if a high school student determine what defines a job? It seems nowadays what the jobs is more important then the people who do it and that the people who do the job need the money to survive. We are putting profits before people.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:05 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
In what sense you guys say walmart can afford to raise labor cost? Do you know that Walmarts profit level is only 3%? Yes 3% and go try to operate a business with 3% margin yourself.
It is amazing that they can have a 3% yet there CEO gets a 25.6 million pay package.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:10 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,123 times
It's amazing how many people believe that it's 1954, 1978, 1989 or even 2002 and all you need to do is to get education and jobss will be simply waiting for you. No, this is 2014. There is unemployment or radically diminished demand for people of ALL PROFESSIONS.

Quote:
Just because a job is available now does not mean it will be available once you graduate. Like I said before we have many graduates who cannot find a job in their field. If a bunch of more people get college degrees there are gonna be even less jobs for everyone. There are just not enough jobs for everyone if all get skills or education. So since when does if a high school student determine what defines a job? It seems nowadays what the jobs is more important then the people who do it and that the people who do the job need the money to survive. We are putting profits before people.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:19 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,055 times
It is amazing that people cannot provide anything of value to their neighbor without renting themselves out as a "tool" to an employer who has figured out something of value that they can provide their neighbor. How much would "you" charge a neighbor who asked you to do something for an hour? If it is more than you are being as an "employee" to someone else, perhaps you should be working for yourself instead. If you can't get your neighbor to pay you more for something that you have to offer, then perhaps you are lucky that an "employer" will pay you.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:27 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
It is amazing that they can have a 3% yet there CEO gets a 25.6 million pay package.
So what he's paid in 25 million? Why don't you go see if you can make 3% work and maybe you would be paid in 50 millions.

Do you want a CEO who can make 3% work and millions employees employed? I'd pay him 50 million if he can raise the profit margin to 4%!

Old 09-07-2014, 01:27 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,371 times
Quote:
If you have revenues of 440 billion a year, 3% margin isn't all that difficult. Costco's run on half the margins of Walmart and they make twice the revenue on each employee than Walmart does, plus they pay employees much better. They also make more profit on each employee. How is that possible? That's economics 101.

I'll go extreme like many republicans and liberals like to, Walmart's goal is to bankrupt the United States by costing it millions a year in food stamps, plus getting federal subsidies and tax breaks.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:28 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,123 times
Well, that was maybe a good idea in XIV century but not today, when professions became highly specialized. Just to cover healthcare you need about a 100 neighbors of different specialties exchanging services between themselves. Your idea of how a contemporary, highly advanced society would work is simply absurd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
It is amazing that people cannot provide anything of value to their neighbor without renting themselves out as a "tool" to an employer who has figured out something of value that they can provide their neighbor. How much would "you" charge a neighbor who asked you to do something for an hour? If it is more than you are being as an "employee" to someone else, perhaps you should be working for yourself instead. If you can't get your neighbor to pay you more for something that you have to offer, then perhaps you are lucky that an "employer" will pay you.

Old 09-07-2014, 01:29 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,553,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
If you have revenues of 440 billion a year, 3% margin isn't all that difficult. Costco's run on half the margins of Walmart and they make twice the revenue on each employee than Walmart does, plus they pay employees much better. They also make more profit on each employee. How is that possible? That's economics 101.

I'll go extreme like many republicans and liberals like to, Walmart's goal is to bankrupt the United States by costing it millions a year in food stamps, plus getting federal subsidies and tax breaks.
Why don't you go take the job? I am pretty sure they would pay you 50 million.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies