Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 12:32 PM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Steps in a home increase the risk of fall which is the number one killer in homes.
Holy crap !! I've got two staircases in my home..and once of them has a landing, does that count has a high capacity staircase ? They both must be banned immediatley !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
If you are going with averages I hope you don't have a pool, for a pool is 100 times more likely to kill a child than a gun.
Op-ed piece on swimming pools vs. guns as the most dangerous weapon – Deltoid

It is also best to go with a study that weighs the benefits of guns used in self defense not resulting in a death which is hundreds of times more likely to occur than the perp or home owner actually getting killed.
CDC Study: Use of Firearms For Self-Defense is
Facts...oh my , don't hit them with facts they will some how just try to discredit them.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Just fine since I'm actually Canadian and can indulge in ownership of firearms just as the U.K can if they so choose. The ban is only on some types of firearms, not all of them, but admittedly, while carrying an old Ithica Pump stuffed down my pants leg might entice the ladies, it sure as hell wouldn't work well in the high noon shoot out you all fantasize about.

I honestly believe half of you lust for the occasion you find yourselves present when some nut opens up so you can play John Wayne.

Fear of American gun culture? Nonsense! We are not afraid of American gun culture as long as it stays American. Were other, more civilized cultures, to indicate emulating your model, then fear would arise but only to the extent that we would have to unlimber our Remington 700's to shoot our pol's for failing to protect our cultural background of needing a weapon for the purposes of putting food on the table and not out of hypothetical fear of our own nutty neighbours or fellow citizens.
This is where you are completely wrong. Both my wife and I carry , daily. Guess what...we pray we NEVER have to use those weapons other than shooting them at the range. The thought of being put in a position where I would have to draw and take down someone turns my stomach but if I or my wife are put into that position I'd rather have a firearm then strong words.
Sure I'm sure there are some whack jobs out there that live for the moment but this is not the majority.

I have smoke detectors in my home, I don't look forward to seeing if those work. I wear a seatbelt in my car and have no desire to try them out. I wear a helmet when riding my ATV or snowmobile and it isn't exciting for me to see if it will protect my melon if I bounce off of a tree. I have insurance on my vehicles and have no reason to smash one of them just to get a pay out. I don't buy into your logic one bit.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
Well, gol' darn! That commentin' right there might just dang well be the most hoity-toity, condescending remark this dumb 'Murkin ever did read on this here forum. I sho' wish I was worthy of movin' to Canadia!
Funny thing is more and more gun related issues are happening in Oh Canada... Toronto is growing a nice little gang culture.

Old 09-08-2014, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I have no issue with private gun ownership or even concealed weapons.

What I don't understand is an ak47 with a 30 round drum mag. No need for such things in civilian life
Me neither, those damn drum mags never seem to work right ! I'm much rather stick to the standard magazine that will function much better...

Do you also think the same about high HP vehicles ? Who needs 700hp on the street ??!!

Old 09-08-2014, 03:37 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Holy crap !! I've got two staircases in my home..and once of them has a landing, does that count has a high capacity staircase ? They both must be banned immediatley !

Uh oh...... you're 200% more likely to fall down stairs in your home compared to people who own homes that have no stairs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

( statistics are fun... They can be used to illicit any number of unwarranted fears and emotions )

Quote:
This is where you are completely wrong. Both my wife and I carry , daily. Guess what...we pray we NEVER have to use those weapons other than shooting them at the range. The thought of being put in a position where I would have to draw and take down someone turns my stomach but if I or my wife are put into that position I'd rather have a firearm then strong words.
Sure I'm sure there are some whack jobs out there that live for the moment but this is not the majority.

I have smoke detectors in my home, I don't look forward to seeing if those work. I wear a seatbelt in my car and have no desire to try them out. I wear a helmet when riding my ATV or snowmobile and it isn't exciting for me to see if it will protect my melon if I bounce off of a tree. I have insurance on my vehicles and have no reason to smash one of them just to get a pay out. I don't buy into your logic one bit.
When it comes to guns, some people have no logic, just irrational fear.....

Last edited by WhipperSnapper 88; 09-08-2014 at 03:49 PM..

Old 09-09-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Uh oh...... you're 200% more likely to fall down stairs in your home compared to people who own homes that have no stairs!!!!!!!!!!!!!

( statistics are fun... They can be used to illicit any number of unwarranted fears and emotions )

When it comes to guns, some people have no logic, just irrational fear.....
I think the irrational thinking is caused both by fear and emotions, and yes there seems to be no logic or common sense with the anti gun crowd.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:02 AM

50,289 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
I think the irrational thinking is caused both by fear and emotions, and yes there seems to be no logic or common sense with the anti gun crowd.
Fear of an inanimate object does that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies