Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 05:56 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,457,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassy.T View Post
OK.. I'm all about embracing women's assists and so forth
You want to embrace women's whats?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 06:43 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
There are as many different "feminists" as their are women. At the heart it's about equality, which still doesn't happen everywhere. Not seeing it when you were growing up (ie: when you were a child) is meaningless since you weren't looking for it and wouldn't have recognized it if it hit you on the head. Your world was/is small...that's what I meant by my first post.

It's true that things are MUCH better today than they were in the past. There is no denying it. That doesn't mean crazy things still don't happen and given the history it's important to not just say "ok, we are done here" call it a day and just stop talking about it.

On the other hand, there are some people who push things way past logical and firmly into "sexist" territory. Not just women, not just feminists, but ALL THE PEOPLE who just like to push things way past logical because...who the hell knows. Attention I'm guessing. You will find them in every group. EVERY GROUP. They get the most attention because they are the most outrageous and sometimes regular janes/joes don't know the difference between them and the entire group or movement.

Unfortunately the fringe elements will always be more entertaining and take up more space than they deserve.

Old 09-06-2014, 06:52 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jassy.T View Post
OK.. I'm all about embracing women's assists and so forth and I have no issue with a bunch of women getting together and discussing what's important to them etc...

HOWEVER...I can't help but feel somewhat out of place when it comes to groups like this...( feminist)...sitting in a room full of empowered and sometime what appears to be enraged women..feel out of place..

To be frank Ive never even saw much inequalities when I was young between man and women... ( or for this matter girl and boy) ...

I get that at one point (relatively not to long ago) women didn't even have the right to vote etc...but as far as I can remember that's history before I was born......

Is it possible , somewhere down the line between 1919 and 2014 women Or some women might be sending the wrong message by going from one extreme to the next!
And even more so are more and more women becoming sexist without out even realizing it ?

But most importantly (in my eyes) there's so much beauty in the difference between how different men are women and visa versa can we not embrace that and focus on that?
Feminists will absolutely insist that are for equal rights between men and women, but if you notice they are only ever about the women.

Feminists were all over women getting higher health insurance premiums than men and got that changed. But men getting higher car and life insurance premiums than women? Never a word about that.

Feminists were all over allowing women to serve in combat roles so they would have a better chance at promotion within the armed forces. But men being required to register for selective service and women not? Never a word about that.

Feminists were all about girls not getting enough encouragement in education and got a bill passed devoting several billion dollars to promoting math and science education for girls. But now that boys have fallen behind girls in education and some universities are as out of balance as 2:1 in women versus men? Not a word.

So yes, the evidence shows that despite what they say feminists are not about equal rights but are about promoting the interests of women regardless of men. And any woman who has a father, son, or brother that she loves should be concerned about that.

Old 09-06-2014, 07:15 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,091,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
Feminists will absolutely insist that are for equal rights between men and women, but if you notice they are only ever about the women.

Feminists were all over women getting higher health insurance premiums than men and got that changed. But men getting higher car and life insurance premiums than women? Never a word about that.

Feminists were all over allowing women to serve in combat roles so they would have a better chance at promotion within the armed forces. But men being required to register for selective service and women not? Never a word about that.

Feminists were all about girls not getting enough encouragement in education and got a bill passed devoting several billion dollars to promoting math and science education for girls. But now that boys have fallen behind girls in education and some universities are as out of balance as 2:1 in women versus men? Not a word.

So yes, the evidence shows that despite what they say feminists are not about equal rights but are about promoting the interests of women regardless of men. And any woman who has a father, son, or brother that she loves should be concerned about that.
The health insurance one is unfair to women especially though. Women are more likely to get things like breast cancer or pregnant than men are. The pregnancy one is significant. In case you don't know the science of sexual reproduction, it requires men and women. Why would women have to pay more for something that is really only half their responsibility? The car insurance bit sucks, but to be fair, men being statistically more likely to be in traffic accidents isn't the fault of women at all, where as men do have a say in pregnancy.

Do you think women should register for selective service? I personally don't care all that much, but if you think they should, how about you fight for it?

Education is a tricky one. I can honestly say, I haven't noticed a problem from my experience (regarding gender representation; I could write a book about the other problems in the school system). I'm not denying it's true, I'm just pointing it out. I think the most sensible solution is to spend far less time worrying about the chromosome's the students have and more time on just the students.

Some feminists do forget to fight for men, but in there defense, men have fought their own battle historically, and they always somehow won. Women are fighting their battles now, and to fault them for not considering men is unreasonable considering they couldn't even vote until the early 20th century.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:55 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:

To be fair I'm not sure insurance can continue the way it is, either they will have to take CERTAIN THINGS into consideration when rating (the problem is WHAT things??), or they charge everyone the same. This kinda/sorta/maybe way we do things now is not the best but nobody is focusing on right now.

Old 09-06-2014, 09:14 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,195,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
This happens quite often, and if the woman doesn't quit and gets pregnant she is entitled to maternity leave of about 6 weeks before and 6 weeks after delivery.
It's called family, or parental leave. It is available for both men and women after the birth, or adoption of a child. Most companies do not offer any unpaid leave, but any company who offers it to new mothers must also offer it to new fathers. A few states require paid leave after the birth or adoption of a child, and it applies equally to both genders.

Old 09-06-2014, 10:11 PM

166 posts, read 243,435 times
Trying to find the balance of equality while recognizing that there are certain characteristics inherent to one sex or the other is the trick.
Each side can produce an argument and examples galore for their agenda. My wife and I are equals but different. I'm better than some things than her and she is better at others. We're just different and we're able to accept that it doesn't mean we have to be able to do everything exactly the same.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:09 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times
Quote:

So, we had to fight our own bloody war and you want us to fight yours, too?
Get off your lazy butts and fight your own damn war. If you don't like it, work to change it. Why should we do it for you?
Aren't you all about "personal responsibility"?

Old 09-07-2014, 06:05 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
This happens quite often, and if the woman doesn't quit and gets pregnant she is entitled to maternity leave of about 6 weeks before and 6 weeks after delivery.
6 weeks.?!
I'd get 12 months maternity leave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Get a proper definition of what feminism is about and you wouldn't need this thread.
Lol. Amazing how so many don't understand what feminism is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies