Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 10:46 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
I bet you used to but this 2014 now so almost nobody carries cash and nobody writes checks, besides grandmas.
I almost never have more than $5 on me or in my house . I charge everything, including a $1 ice tea at Mc Donald's.

There's a backstory when people have substantial amounts of cash on their person or in their car.
Drugs are only a part of the story. Dealing in stolen property and weapons is another. No doubt there are some legit stories, too. Claiming no knowledge there was cash in the car and signing a release of no claim only to later remember that the money was your own sounds beyond suspicious.

According to the allegations in the link, only 1/6 of people who have their cash confiscated make an effort to claim it is meaningful.

I don't buy into this storyline or the numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 10:49 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
... unless you can prove you got it legally.

Police confiscate millions of dollars from citizens not charged with any crimes, claim you MUST have got it illegally and are not required to give it back unless you can prove you acquired the money legally. Now go get a lawyer to get your money back.

Stop and seize | The Washington Post

"America, Land of the Free"

that is one law that should be gotten rid of completely. also, never ever give any cop permission to search your vehicle at all, and never answer their questions without an attorney present.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:53 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,752,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Exactly, when we owned a bar and hotel, we routinely carried about $5K cash on us.
That's my point, not everyone who carries large sums of cash is a drug dealer and the police should not assume they are.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:02 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,173,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
This is scary because I occasionally pull out large amounts of cash (thousands) to pay bills and buy necessities.

Only blacks, illegals, and mafia members pay their bills in cash.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:08 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
that is one law that should be gotten rid of completely. also, never ever give any cop permission to search your vehicle at all, and never answer their questions without an attorney present.

Sure. Pay attorney fees every time you get a speeding ticket lol

Old 09-09-2014, 07:09 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
That's my point, not everyone who carries large sums of cash is a drug dealer and the police should not assume they are.
Buddy, honestly, do you see business owners complaining here? Everybody knows that were talking about drug money here.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:20 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
No charges, but police can keep the cash | The Journal Gazette

Old 09-09-2014, 07:27 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
SARAH STILLMAN, The New Yorker: Well, most people are familiar with this idea of criminal forfeiture.

And that’s a widely supported notion that, if you’re profiting from crime — let’s say you’re a big drug kingpin — and you have bought your Malibu mansion and your Gulfstream jet with the proceeds of your crime, then those things will be taken away from you. And that make a lot of sense again to people.

But many folks are unfamiliar with the idea of civil forfeiture, which is actually a case brought against, directly against a piece a property, where you don’t need to be proven guilty of a crime for your goods to be taken away. And many of the conventional protections that you have under the criminal process are not afforded to you in a civil forfeiture case.

RAY SUAREZ: So, there’s no trial. There’s no requirement to provide evidence to prove the state’s suspicion. They just take your stuff.

SARAH STILLMAN: Exactly.

And you don’t even have the right to a lawyer. So, conventionally, if you’re facing the loss of your home or the loss of your car or cash, normally, at the very least, you would have someone who is able to represent you in these claims.

In places like Washington, D.C., you have to even pay $2,500 simply for the right to contest the case. And you’re, again, not entitled to representation when you do that. So it can be a very costly process and also just a very confusing, arduous process to figure out, how do you contest?

Are Innocent Citizens at Risk of Police Seizure of Their Cash, Cars and Homes? | PBS NewsHour

Old 09-09-2014, 07:27 AM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Because it is often easier to buy with cash? And because many older folks don't trust banks.
B of A had a real scam going where they charge you to use a teller. I deposited 20g and found out days later they charged me 200 bucks to use a teller. I threatened to pull out every dime and they ended up reversing it. How many elderly have been duped by that? No wonder they don't trust banks.

Old 09-09-2014, 11:32 AM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
Buddy, honestly, do you see business owners complaining here? Everybody knows that were talking about drug money here.
I guess you must have located some sort of "everybody knows" exception to the 4th amendment. Could you point it out for the rest of us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies