Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 08:48 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times

Advertisements

So we can stop posting about the millions of college grads with high debt not finding jobs?

Finally!

Old 09-07-2014, 08:49 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Good news for the nation...so of course the conservatives are trying desperately to find some reason not to believe it. 'You can't trust the numbers!' usually right around the time they've quoted some number that seems to support their argument (like all the people who've dropped out of the work force -- that's a gov't sourced number too). Or 'the source is a liberal liar' -- they never argue *facts*.

The facts are that every economic indicator is improving. Unemployment -- like it or not -- is just 6.1% nation wide. Car dealers had their best August in 11 years. Consumer confidence is up. Exports are up. The deficit is down and dropping. More Americans have health care/insurance. Crime is down.

Just roll with it, guys. Sooner or later things will start to sink again and then you can be happy again.
Missing workers as of August 2014..

nearly 6,000,000 of them...

Missing Workers: The Missing Part of the Unemployment Story | Economic Policy Institute

Old 09-07-2014, 08:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think you misunderstand the "right".. We're far more willing to celebrate the success of the nation than the left is willing to admit we dont have it..

Missing Workers: The Missing Part of the Unemployment Story | Economic Policy Institute

Missing Workers Shrugged?

Old 09-07-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Missing Workers Shrugged?
I'm sorry if you dont understand that we dont count those workers who gave up looking for a job as "unemployed"

As Democrats CHEER!!! Bunch of fools

Old 09-07-2014, 08:57 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,042,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Good news for the nation...so of course the conservatives are trying desperately to find some reason not to believe it. 'You can't trust the numbers!' usually right around the time they've quoted some number that seems to support their argument (like all the people who've dropped out of the work force -- that's a gov't sourced number too). Or 'the source is a liberal liar' -- they never argue *facts*.

The facts are that every economic indicator is improving. Unemployment -- like it or not -- is just 6.1% nation wide. Car dealers had their best August in 11 years. Consumer confidence is up. Exports are up. The deficit is down and dropping. More Americans have health care/insurance. Crime is down.

Just roll with it, guys. Sooner or later things will start to sink again and then you can be happy again.
I'm a believer!

We can finally cut back the welfare programs.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Adam Hartung is another 'token' idiot leftist that Forbes is able to point to and say "See, we have nut case spin machines that work for us too".

(Well, not in those exact words but .. you get the gist of it)

The nut job thought that the OWS movement was just dandy but didn't get enough respect'.

It (OWS) deserved more attention than the tea party.
(His words)

If I remember correctly, the OWS got all kinds of attention including .. pooping on squad cars, rapes, robberies and even an attempt to blow up a train trestle
?

I had nothing to do with that debacle, but OWS attracted a lot of outside parasites who took the opportunity to exploit the cover that OWS afforded, primarily, homeless bums and anarchists.

Downtown Portland usually is infested with street people and other homeless parasites; while OWS was camped a few blocks away from the main square, the entire downtown was almost entirely free of homeless bums. The homeless weren't in any meaningful sense members of OWS - as far as I am aware, they neither participated nor contributed in any way - as much as they were parasites taking advantage of an opportunity to occupy Occupy.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm sorry if you dont understand that we dont count those workers who gave up looking for a job as "unemployed"

As Democrats CHEER!!! Bunch of fools

That was intended as a joke; just as Atlas gave up and shrugged, so have so many missing workers given up and shrugged.

Old 09-07-2014, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
That was intended as a joke; just as Atlas gave up and shrugged, so have so many missing workers given up and shrugged.
Ahhhh..

Old 09-07-2014, 09:21 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Go America! Great news for the US for a change.

What a stupid lie.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:21 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Jimmy Carter's recession was not comparable to Bush's recession. Barack Obama had nowhere to go but up, so how could there not be relatively good growth???

There is nothing magical about Barack Obama. At the end of the day, a 100% increase in one penny still leaves me with just 2 cents.
Actually Jimmy Carter didn't have a recession.

Jimmy Carter came into office in January, 1977 when unemployment was 7.5%

In February, 1977 unemployment went up to 7.6% and then promptly dropped down to the 5% and 6% range staying there throughout his presidency not rising to 7.6% again until June, 1980.

In July, 1980 unemployment went to 7.8% whch was the highest recorded in the Jimmy Carter presidency.

August 7.7%

September 7.5%

October 7.5%

When Reagan took office unemployment was 7.5% where it stayed pretty steady, even dropping to 7.2% for a couple months, until November, 1981 when it went to 8.3%. From November, 1981 unemployment steadily got worse rising practically every month until November, 1982 when it spiked at 10.8%.

From November, 1982 until the end of the Reagan Presidency the unemployment steadily dropped to eventually 5.4% when Reagan left office In January, 1989.

So what was the matter with Carter?

It was the MISERY INDEX and for those of you under 40 you are to young to remember for real misery you had to experience INFLATION.

You think 10% unemployment is bad you should experience 14.73% inflation which was reality in April, 1980.

14.73% unemployment hurts 14.73% of the people.

14.73% inflation rate hurts 100% of the people and don't you forget it either.

Jimmy Carter didn't lose because of high unemployment numbers he lost because of high inflation rates.

http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

If you were paid $12,000 in 1979 that was equivalent to $39,380.17 in today's dollars.

With inflation the way it was that same $12,000 in 1980 was equivalent to $34,696.60 today meaning you just got the shaft with an equivalent cut in pay of $4,683.57 for the year for $390.30 each and every month.

By 1981 that same $12,000 was equivalent to $31,452.15 today meaning you took the shaft again approaching a one fourth cut in pay!

If you think it is hard buying a house now you should have tried in 1980 when a good mortgage rate was fixed at 15%.

It really ticks me off every time some idiot comes out defending Carter while blasting Reagan because I can tell the idiot wasn't even alive then.

Blah, blah, blah... I hear you "well just get a raise to keep up" sounds good but Carter the Dummy tried something that has been tried since the reign of the Roman Emperor Diocletian and has never worked: wage and price controls. Yep, that is exactly how STUPID Carter was "just because it's never worked in 2,000 years of history doesn't mean we shouldn't try it again". I swear at the time Carter was president I thought he had an IQ approaching 50.

Jimmy Carter the stupid delivered this televised speech on October 24, 1978.

Quote:
I do not have all the answers. Nobody does. Perhaps there is no complete and adequate answer. But I want to let you know that fighting inflation will be a central preoccupation of mine during the months ahead, and I want to arouse the nation to join me in this effort.

There are two simplistic and familiar answers which are sometimes proposed -- simple, familiar, and too extreme. One of these answers is to impose a complicated scheme of Federal government wage and price controls on our entire free economic system. The other is a deliberate recession which would throw millions of people out of work. Both of these extreme proposals would not work, and they must be rejected.
When Mush Mush gave his speech inflation was at 8.93% and from October, 1978 inflation steadily and relentlessly went up hitting 12.07% the following October, 1979 and 12.7% in October, 1980.

So much for trying wage and price controls, you dummy!

Reagan came into office and the only way out was a deliberate recession which is what Carter rejected. It was a bitter pill but two years after Reagan took office inflation was down to 3.71% and it continued to fall after that.

But think about inflation running at 15%.

If you earn $4,000 a month now next month that same $4,000 will have the purchasing power of $3,950 and the month after that $3,900 and by the end of the year you lost $600 in purchasing power which is a good car payment and a long way towards a mortgage in many parts of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies