Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 10:51 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,989,335 times

Advertisements

There is one thing this proposed state lacks. A supply of fresh water. The only thing Sinai has is it lets you walk from Asia to Africa. Its like tryinfg to live in the middle of a highway.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:04 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,466,382 times
^I was about to post something along the same lines. There's a reason why the place has been sparsely populated for most of human history and why Moses and the gang didn't stop and setup shop after 40 years or so of wandering around out there (cartography must of have been a budding field at this point in human history).

From a strategic perspective, it would be great to have the population of Gaza spread out so there's less loss of innocent life whenever it comes time to bomb Hamas.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:10 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,741,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post

Genetically they are probably extremely similar (especially Sephardic Jews). However, culturally, they clearly are not ....
Actually Mizrahi would be better to use in this scenario. Both Sephardi and Mizrahi have more cultural similarities to Arabs then to Ashkenazi Jews. Sephardi and Mizrahi Jews have lived along with Africans and Asians for 100's of years yet the Ashkenazi Jews for the most part have only been in the region for less than 150 years (there are a few that go back further, but they are small in number).

Old 09-09-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
There is one thing this proposed state lacks. A supply of fresh water.
Actually that is false as they live atop a aquifer. Hamas does not allow the people to drill wells into it. Just do Google Earth and you'll see the areas outside of southern Gaza (in Egypt & Israel) are all green, yet southern Gaza is brown.

Old 09-09-2014, 06:23 AM

43,657 posts, read 44,375,612 times
It seems that Egypt now is denying that they made this proposal.

Egypt, PA deny report that Sisi offered Abbas land in Sinai for Palestinian state

Old 09-09-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
It seems that Egypt now is denying that they made this proposal.
It probably didn't go too well the Arab league. It's pretty easy to deny something when it wasn't stated in public. Sometimes one has to read between the lines to see that maybe the comment was for the Palestinian citizens themselves and not for their self serving leaders.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:15 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperionGap View Post
Ok fair enough. I agree with all that. Just like I don't think the US should give all the land back to Native Americans and/or Mexicans, the "right of return" is complete garbage.

However, when you speak in absolutes (i.e. there never was a nation called Israel prior to 1948) then I'm going to point out that it's not the case if it isn't true.

Genetically they are probably extremely similar (especially Sephardic Jews). However, culturally, they clearly are not and for the current conflict I think that's much more important to all the players involved.
Fair enough.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:32 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,265,380 times
I read all about this in the Egyptian, World Affairs and Israeli press yesterday.
1. Sisi denies that this "deal" was ever on the table. (probably was, but he can't politically confirm it)
2. The "deal" has come up before - I think the UN proposed such a "deal" years ago.
3. From what I read - Sisi's proposal to Abbas is that their must be a 3 State Solution because Hamas and the Palestinian Authority will never come to any agreement and because of that - no agreement can ever be made with Israel. I think that is probably correct. What is the point of a "Mid-East Solution to the Palestinian Crisis" if the Palestinians themselves (Hamas & PA) can't agree on a pathway? Sisi's proposal (that he denies) is that there would be a Greater State of Gaza that would increase in land size by a factor of 5) that Hamas would Govern and a Palestinian State of the West Bank that the Palestinian Authority would Government. 3 States Total.
4. Egypt benefits because the Sinai is riddled with Terror cells and fighting and Sisi would be able to get rid of some of it and make Hamas totally responsible for the Greater Gaza.

It would force Hamas to spend their time and money on establishing a livable State of Gaza with a big chuck of coast, instead of spending all resources on tunnels, smuggling and their battle with the Jewish people in Israel. It won't happen because that is not want Hamas wants - the do want the WAR.

Not well reported is that 45 UN Peacekeepers in the Sinai were kidnapped by Terrorists from Syria - this is a serious deal. More were able to escape - I'm guessing with the aid of both US and Israeli special forces because their were "thanks" given in news reports to both the USA & Israel.

Abducted UN peacekeepers threatened with sharia trial by al-Qaeda group in Syria
UN has been negotiating with Jabhat Al-Nusra rebels for the release of the hostages since last Thursday London Telegraph

Old 09-09-2014, 11:40 AM

3,830 posts, read 4,662,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Actually Mizrahi would be better to use in this scenario. Both Sephardi and Mizrahi have more cultural similarities to Arabs then to Ashkenazi Jews. Sephardi and Mizrahi Jews have lived along with Africans and Asians for 100's of years yet the Ashkenazi Jews for the most part have only been in the region for less than 150 years (there are a few that go back further, but they are small in number).
Good point. Sephardi have only lived in the area since the inquisition while Mizrahi never left.

Old 09-09-2014, 12:14 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,092,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
Better than nothing...won't stop Israel's genocide of the Palestinians though. Saddam Hussein violated a few UN sanctions Israel has broken hundreds and nothing is ever done...they just pull the anti semitism card any time someone starts criticizing their actions.
Do you have any real evidence of Israeli genocide? Do you even know what genocide is? Oh and I forgot to ask, what UNSC violations did israel violate?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies