Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:02 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,744,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
huh?
I hear too many people say the word ending in igga is not a racial insult, only igger. My question then is IF it's not a racial insult, can White people use igga?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2014, 11:05 AM

39,195 posts, read 27,570,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Here in the Twin Cities I've seen a lot of hatred from Blacks towards Asians & Somalis. I have no doubt that the Blacks you know don't harbor this type of hatred, but many poor, inner city, "ghetto" Blacks do. The Asians & Somalis are moving into their neighborhoods, attending the same schools, but getting better grades, getting the local part time jobs, etc. I believe there is some anger at essentially being leap- frogged on the social ladder.
I think it depends on where you live.

I don't doubt your experience at all. Matter of fact, I do believe some blacks dislike Asians or Mexicans or white.

I live in orange county, California. My brother's best friend is an AA guy and he has been jokingly called Uncle Tom by some AA friends of his. He has absolutely no problems with Asians or white. (We are German/Irish/Japanese/Hawaiian mixed) Matter of fact, I don't believe he has problem with anybody.

In downtown LA however, there are a lot of blacks don't like Koreans because Koreans are mostly business owners who open businesses in black neighborhood.

So it all depends on the area you live I guess.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I hear too many people say the word ending in igga is not a racial insult, only igger. My question then is IF it's not a racial insult, can White people use igga?
I honestly don't know.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:07 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think they are different.

Mr. Tupac Shakur, is credited for creating the acronym for N..A, which stands for “never ignorant getting goals accomplished.” If I remembered this right.

Great role model. How's he doing with getting those goals accomplished? Maybe THUG LIFE prevailed...

Old 09-08-2014, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Great role model. How's he doing with getting those goals accomplished? Maybe THUG LIFE prevailed...

Old 09-08-2014, 11:12 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Wasn't he was shot and killed several years ago. Or am I thinking about someone else?

Old 09-08-2014, 11:19 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
So no problem then if us White people call industrious Blacks who're "getting goals accomplished" N'as then?
I'd be really careful!

As a fish-belly white person, I'd never use any of the "n" word relatives, especially within hearing range of a black person. Just because they often hear it as a friendly insult coming from another black person doesn't mean they'd hear it as a friendly insult coming from me.

I think it interesting that the basis for the suit is that the child in question is being subjected to racism, when it seems to me that it could just as well be an example of bullying. Undoubtedly, someone made a reasoned choice here, and I'd love to hear the reasons.

I am pretty much a First Amendment fundamentalist, but I really *hate* the "n" word and all its relatives. I will be very interested to see how this court draws the line.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:21 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,327,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I'd be really careful!

As a fish-belly white person, I'd never use any of the "n" word relatives, especially within hearing range of a black person. Just because they often hear it as a friendly insult coming from another black person doesn't mean they'd hear it as a friendly insult coming from me.

I think it interesting that the basis for the suit is that the child in question is being subjected to racism, when it seems to me that it could just as well be an example of bullying. Undoubtedly, someone made a reasoned choice here, and I'd love to hear the reasons.

I am pretty much a First Amendment fundamentalist, but I really *hate* the "n" word and all its relatives. I will be very interested to see how this court draws the line.
Why call names at all???

I really do not like name calling.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:25 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,733,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Why call names at all???

I really do not like name calling.
I agree. So I do my best not to.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:30 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,579,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I'd be really careful!

My understanding is that the case being about racism can bring it into federal court under the Civil Rights Act which would mean the federal government could force action on the part of the school if they win the case rather than them paying some money and having the problem continue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies