Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 07:25 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,887,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post

When the scientific community comes forward and says its not happening that's when its not happening. When right wing, tin foil hat wearing morons on the internet who are given their opinions by people who are largely funded by the oil lobby then say that it's not happening, it still is.

Speaking of moronic...what really strikes me as funny is LWNJs who always want to point out tin foil hats. When, if ever, was the last time you saw TIN foil? When was the last time you personally held some in your hand?

What you most likely mean is aluminum foil. I have no idea what use aluminum foil would have as a hat.

BTW - The climate is changing the same as it would a thousand years ago.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:01 PM

25,838 posts, read 16,513,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Bear View Post
Which is exactly what the scientist and meteorologists predicted a couple of decades ago.

There is no debating that the polar ice caps are shrinking. In laypersons terms, that means they are melting.

As predicted, this melting will, in the short term, cool bodies of water, and create a cooling effect further away from the poles than is typical. In the US we have felt this with certain periods being oddly cooler than is normal. We have also felt it with more and more violent storms springing up as this cooler air, escaping from the earth's poles, collides with more seasonably warm weather around the middle of the earth.

Once the caps are melted to a point of diminishment, these cooler areas will heat more quickly and global temperatures will rise at an alarmingly swift rate.
Sure there is debate. I see many different stories on exactly what is happening to the ice caps.

And scientists and meteorologist predicted NO SUCH THING. All they said is it would be friggin HOT by now and it's not. It's the coolest decade we've had in Minnesota, Wisconsin, North & South Dakota, Iowa and in fact the entire eastern seaboard as well. The coolest decade in many, many years.

Northern Europe is having the coolest decade in at least 4 decades.

And by many accounts? There is more polar ice now than ever in recorded history.

Stop with the lies.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:17 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Sure there is debate. I see many different stories on exactly what is happening to the ice caps.

And scientists and meteorologist predicted NO SUCH THING. All they said is it would be friggin HOT by now and it's not. It's the coolest decade we've had in Minnesota, Wisconsin, North & South Dakota, Iowa and in fact the entire eastern seaboard as well. The coolest decade in many, many years.

Northern Europe is having the coolest decade in at least 4 decades.

And by many accounts? There is more polar ice now than ever in recorded history.

Stop with the lies.
And Australia had one of the hottest summers and it has been unseasonably hot on the West Coast. 90 degrees in September in the Northwest is abnormal.

January 2014 southeastern Australia heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Summer Of Extremes: Records Broken Across The Country - weather.com

I do get a kick out of how you completely ignored that it has been one of the wettest and stormy summers on the east coast, while it has been extremely hot on the west coast.

Here is a good example of the climate change we have been experiencing this year that many deniers seem to try and pretend it isn't happening.

http://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/sotc/global/

Old 09-08-2014, 08:20 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,933,513 times
Look, I'm no climate expert and I will frankly say I'm not 100% sure if there is or isn't global warming.

There are two very disturbing facts,

#1 - the glaciers in Glacier National Park are melting. More than half of those that existed when the park opened are gone and many, if not most of us will live to witness the disappearance of glaciers in Glacier National Park. National Geographic Magazine says that their original estimate of the melting of the glaciers will be complete by 2030 may be wrong: it might happen by 2020.

#2 - in the past 100 years gardeners in my city of Philadelphia have seen the "Hardiness Zone" raise from 6A to 6B to 7A and to 7B in most parts of the city (like my neighborhood). What does this mean? Now we can grow camellias and hibiscus and bamboo (subtropical plants) but our silver birch trees and wisterias are dying (it's getting too warm for them.)

In the 18th and 19th Centuries the harbor of New York and the port of Philadelphia would sometimes freeze solid; but that hasn't happened in 80 years.

Why?

Old 09-08-2014, 08:23 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Report: No Global Warming For 215 Months | The Daily Caller

at least not for the past 17 plus years.
We had some warming in the late 1980s and 1990s, thanks to some back-to-back El Nino events, but now we have had ZERO warming for longer then we saw warming. so does this mean we are in global cooling now?

Come to think of it.... if we truly are experiencing catastrophic anthropogenic global warming (CAGW) and if NASA and NOOA have told us we are in a 17 year "pause," then that means something is causing global cooling on a massive scale!!! Something has eclipsed CAGW!!!

So what is causing this incredible global cooling??????

Old 09-08-2014, 08:25 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,131,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Look, I'm no climate expert and I will frankly say I'm not 100% sure if there is or isn't global warming.

There are two very disturbing facts,

#1 - the glaciers in Glacier National Park are melting. More than half of those that existed when the park opened are gone and many, if not most of us will live to witness the disappearance of glaciers in Glacier National Park. National Geographic Magazine says that their original estimate of the melting of the glaciers will be complete by 2030 may be wrong: it might happen by 2020.

#2 - in the past 100 years gardeners in my city of Philadelphia have seen the "Hardiness Zone" raise from 6A to 6B to 7A and to 7B in most parts of the city (like my neighborhood). What does this mean? Now we can grow camellias and hibiscus and bamboo (subtropical plants) but our silver birch trees and wisterias are dying (it's getting too warm for them.)

In the 18th and 19th Centuries the harbor of New York and the port of Philadelphia would sometimes freeze solid; but that hasn't happened in 80 years.

Why?
Maybe because we are no longer living in the era of the Little Ice-Age? BTW, that LIA ended around 1910 or so.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:42 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Apparently, neither have you

Keep calling the kettle black, Mr Pott
LOL....So you actually think 30 years of consecutively warmer than average monthly temperatures is just weather....Are you really that slow?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:55 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ_Smith View Post
How is that any different than a left-wing rag espousing global warming as fact.....and as such me or anyone else stating, ha ha. A left-wing blog?
The trick to knowing the facts is to read the science...You may want to try it sometime, but I warn you all the science, measurements and statistics support these facts.... The atmosphere and oceans are getting warmer, the glaciers and ice caps are melting, and the oceans are rising...Do you deny these facts?

Old 09-08-2014, 10:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
it is disturbing the manner in which people, people that i know and like who are like me, can deny the melting of the polar ice caps. i got in the ocean yesterday. it was warm. not cool not cold ----warm.
this is not galveston. i know galveston, this is san diego.

Old 09-08-2014, 11:02 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,788,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

Why?
Why? Because in the 18th century, the Little Ice Age was still in full swing, and the warming began neighborhood 1850, and continues through this day.

The AGW folks deny that the LIA has any significance in recent climate history, which is probably why you are unaware of this factor in the discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies