Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: True or Not?
True and she should be hung 16 30.19%
Not true at all 10 18.87%
I don't really know 2 3.77%
I really don't care. 26 49.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 05:53 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times

Advertisements

She went to Viet Nam for the specific purpose of undermining the war effort. She was a subversive and traitor!

I don't know if she gave the Viet Cong notes from prisoners, but I do know this so-called "peace trip" included her posing in anti-aircraft gun turrets wearing a Viet Cong uniform. I hated the war as well, but she deserved to not be allowed back into the US and her citizenship revoked.

Even her father didn't forgive her for more than 25 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 06:06 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Japanese also denied WWII war crimes against the Chinese.
I don't get the analogy. If it were an analogy, China would be the one denying it happened.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:12 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
She went to Viet Nam for the specific purpose of undermining the war effort. She was a subversive and traitor!

I don't know if she gave the Viet Cong notes from prisoners, but I do know this so-called "peace trip" included her posing in anti-aircraft gun turrets wearing a Viet Cong uniform. I hated the war as well, but she deserved to not be allowed back into the US and her citizenship revoked.

OMG--I cannot believe this is an issue. This country has real enemies. Vicious enemies. People that would like to see us wiped off the face of the earth, and oh yeah--then there is Putin.

And you are holding a grudge against Jane Fonda, an actress and ex-wife of Ted Turner (who he has called the love of his life)? Give me a break. Anyone who spends even a minute hating Jane Fonda for the 60s needs to rethink their priorities.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:00 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Jane Fonda's actions were irresponsible and distasteful but not treasonous.

The World War II equivalent of Fonda - a celebrity dilettante drawn to the enemy and under the enemy's spell - was Charles Lindbergh.

Lindbergh was not tried for treason or as far as I know for any other crimes, even though Hitler was much more of a danger to the US than the Viet Cong were. Nazi Germany directly threatened the existence of the US, which North Vietnam did not. (Both Lindbergh and Fonda were among the luminaries who were considered possible targets for Logan Act indictments, but this never happened)

If Lindbergh wasn't prosecuted, why should Fonda have been?

Old 09-10-2014, 09:46 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
The Vietnam war was a good thing to subvert.

Quote:
Her father starred in a film with her 9 years later and was dead the year after that. I am wondering if you made this non-fact up yourself or repeated something some radio talk show host made up.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Lindbergh was not tried for treason or as far as I know for any other crimes, even though Hitler was much more of a danger to the US than the Viet Cong were. Nazi Germany directly threatened the existence of the US, which North Vietnam did not. (Both Lindbergh and Fonda were among the luminaries who were considered possible targets for Logan Act indictments, but this never happened)

If Lindbergh wasn't prosecuted, why should Fonda have been?
Neither of them should've been, but for different reasons.

Lindbergh shut up once war was declared. He didn't like the war much and thought that with better leadership we could've avoided it--and he was perfectly right about that--but he volunteered to lead an air division once the war was on, which offer was rebuffed by Roosevelt.

Fonda could not have been charged with treason because we were not legally in a state of war, and even the Gulf of Tonkin resolution had been repealed before her trip.

Nazi Germany did not threaten the "existence of the US" except perhaps in Hitler's fevered imagination.

Old 09-10-2014, 10:07 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
The Vietnam war was a good thing to subvert.

Her father starred in a film with her 9 years later and was dead the year after that. I am wondering if you made this non-fact up yourself or repeated something some radio talk show host made up.
Jane Fonda's difficult relationship with her dad long predated the Vietnam War.

Quote:
Neither of them should've been, but for different reasons.

Lindbergh shut up once war was declared. He didn't like the war much and thought that with better leadership we could've avoided it--and he was perfectly right about that--but he volunteered to lead an air division once the war was on, which offer was rebuffed by Roosevelt.

Fonda could not have been charged with treason because we were not legally in a state of war, and even the Gulf of Tonkin resolution had been repealed before her trip..
The only possible prosecution I could picture for Fonda would have been under the Logan Act. The Nixon Administration decided not to prosecute for the same reasons that the Roosevelt Administration didn't prosecute Lindbergh - and for the same reason there has not been a Logan Act prosecution since the Jefferson Administration. The constitutionality of that law, which prohibits private citizens from conducting foreign policy, is very much in doubt. Not only would a conviction be very difficult to get - no one has ever been convicted - but the law would probably be struck down.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
Quote:

To my knowledge, her father has NEVER addressed that situation at all.

Prove that he did.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:05 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,194,526 times
Quote:

No it's not "made up". Their pairing in 'Golden Pond' was on her part an attempt to mend fences with her father, but he didn't respond. To him it was just an acting job with another actor that he didn't really want to work with but he did. I suggest the biography "Lady Jane". He never forgave her.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
No it's not "made up". Their pairing in 'Golden Pond' was on her part an attempt to mend fences with her father, but he didn't respond. To him it was just an acting job with another actor that he didn't really want to work with but he did. I suggest the biography "Lady Jane". He never forgave her.
I have no idea what was in his heart at the time, although he certainly didn't need the money from that particular "acting job." Nevertheless, if someone says Mr. X was pissed off for 25 years and Mr. X was only alive for 10 of them, that's some evidence that person is bull****ting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies