Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 11:09 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,240,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Are you kidding me. You are comparing a seat belt to guns. Don't you drive with a seatbelt
I don't. Motorcycles don't have seat belts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post

Where is that exception enumerated in the Constitution?
You're funny.

DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA v. HELLER

"Like most rights, the Second Amendment right is not unlimited. It is not a right to keep and carry any weapon whatsoever in any manner whatsoever and for whatever purpose: For example, concealed weapons prohibitions have been upheld under the Amendment or state analogues. The Court’s opinion should not be taken to cast doubt on longstanding prohibitions on the possession of firearms by felons and the mentally ill, or laws forbidding the carrying of firearms in sensitive places such as schools and government buildings, or laws imposing conditions and qualifications on the commercial sale of arms"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 11:14 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,870,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I've been wondering on all these gun
discussions. The gun advocates are all for open carry. Now,
what if they saw a group of 20 year old black males, pants down to their knees,
big shirted carrying guns in their local grocery store. Is that
okay?
Huey P. Newton Gun Club leads open-carry rally in South Dallas | Dallas Morning News

From the link;
Quote:
Two dozen protesters — most of them armed — from a gun club named after the
founder of the original Black Panther Party peacefully marched through parts of
South Dallas on Wednesday.

The open-carry rally was organized by the Huey P. Newton Gun Club to promote
self-defense and community policing in response to recent police shootings, both
nationally and locally.

Freeman said Wednesday’s marchers planned to patronize several South Dallas
businesses to keep their money in the community and teach their neighbors about
their “right to self-defense.”
WOOOOOoooooops!!!!!! Looks like your little hypothetical scenario of all black marchers has happened, AND....... exactly nothing happened. Whites didn't panic in the streets or open fire, white people didn't run for the hills or confront these black men excercising thie right to open carry. Imagine that. I might add that I found your post to be very stereotypical. "pants down to their knees, big shirted".... you sound like a racist to me.
Quote:
I ask because a black kid got shot and killed by the police in a Walmart
due to the false reporting of another white shopper. He had a toy gun in his
hands and was murdered for it. Why didn't the police murder those *******s in
Target with assault rifles or real guns that kill on their backs??? Just
sayin...
That happened in my state. The scum-bag cops who shot him should be imprisoned.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:34 PM

Quote:
I could never live my life being this paranoid and just don't understand it. There is so much talk about the freedom of america but some of you can't even go out of your house without being armed. To me that is not freedom. It's just being scared.
Seat belts? You mean you can't drive around town without seat belts? Man, you're paranoid and just FULL of fear, aren't you? The next thing you'll be telling me is that you have smoke detectors in your home....

Oh, I know what you're response will be, " seat belts and smoke detectors won't kill someone".... right? Well guess what? Neither will guns in the hands of good people. Carrying a gun is no different than strapping on a seat belt in case of accident, it's being prepared for the unknown.

Pretending that crime doesn't exist won't make it go away Natalie. It exists, and it exists everywhere. There are no places that immune to crime just because you'd like there to be, or seem to think there are. That's not fear mongering or paranoia, it's just an unfortunate reality.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Yep because a school auditorium where everyone in armed is infinitely safer than one where no one is.
How are you going to ensure that "no one" is? Therein lays the problem... By hanging a sign on the door? I hate to tell you but by doing that, you do ensure that no one is armed, no one except someone who is intent on doing harm..... Maybe metal detectors? Armed security? I see no problem with posting noguns signs as long as it's backed up with security personnel and metal detectors, but that isn't likely to happen in every school, nor should it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Some schools have x ray machines. But even without them he still has to hide the gun and there are people who are very good at spotting that. If guns aren't allowed in the school and somebody spots the gun, or can tell from the clothing that he has a gun then action can be taken right then. But if guns are allowed that mass murderer could have an Uzi strapped to his back and you wouldn't be able to do anything until he started shooting
Do you even hear yourself right now?

Old 09-10-2014, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Are you kidding me. You are comparing a seat belt to guns. Don't you drive with a seatbelt
Yep, I sure do drive with a seat belt. Not because it's the law but because I don't pretend to know when I'll need it and when I won't. I wear it, because I accept the reality that I could be in an accident and need it, which is the same reason I wear a gun most everywhere I go.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:03 AM

8,275 posts, read 12,835,765 times
Perhaps they can have show and tell and let them shoot an oozi, that tends to work out well.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Perhaps they can have show and tell and let them shoot an oozi, that tends to work out well.
Well, considering that there has only been one, maybe two incidents of a youth ever shooting their instructor with an UZI ( not an oozi ) I'd say yeah, it probably would work out fine. How many times every year has a youth went to one of these specialty ranges, fired this type of gun, went home, and everything turned out fine? Probably many. So, I guess the statistics would show overwhelmingly that you are right in your assertion that yes, it would in fact work out well more than likely.....

Old 09-11-2014, 06:31 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,512,309 times
Quote:
I could never live my life being this paranoid and just don't understand it. There is so much talk about the freedom of america but some of you can't even go out of your house without being armed. To me that is not freedom. It's just being scared.

You call it paranoid. I call it being prepared. From the days of Boy Scouts... "always be prepared."
This is not something new to me. I have been armed 24/7 since I was 15.
Our rifles and shotguns use to be in our school lockers during school, so we could go hunting with the coach after school. This was Austin High, in Austin TX in the late 70's.

Of coarse I do not expect someone raised to be the victim, to understand self protection.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:34 AM

78,866 posts, read 46,512,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
What?? You're questions make no sense at all in regards to what I just said. I never said I'd be able to tell that you have a gun in your boot. Nor did I say anything about armed police at every entrance to the school but since you bring that up why not? Speaking of not knowing that somebody has a gun that would also include the mass murderers. And even if you do spot a gun on one of the mass murderers you're not going to know he's a mass murderer.

There is a good reason there is no longer open carry everywhere. The sight of a firearm, make the ignorant and fearful like you, crap their pants.

Fear breeds ignorance.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:36 AM

15,837 posts, read 21,372,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Idiotic. I would remove my child from that school immediately. Low reward and huge risk.

S.
Absolutely. Any school with a parent who insists on bringing a gun to a school function with many small children running around is a huge risk to your child. Your child is more at risk of getting hit by a stray bullet if the parent drops the gun than by an armed madman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies