Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2014, 06:02 PM

430 posts, read 379,790 times

Advertisements

Greg Orman's Rise Against Pat Roberts in Kansas Signals New Senate Era - US News

Sure hope so...don't know much about Orman I tried reading his website but couldn't get it to work for me the one time I tried....

Old 09-08-2014, 09:53 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,858,077 times
I agree with this part of the article:

We've entered a stretch in which an increasing number of credible independent candidates are going to take advantage of public antipathy toward both parties. Many of these candidates will lose; some will win, or at least run strong races. The success stories will breed yet more credible challenges from outside the political status quo.

We've got two broken parties that are over 100 years old, producing the same old s**t year after year.

It's the equivalent of only being able to choose between mid-80's Chrysler and mid-80's GM. Both choices are essentially the same: horrible.

Our political system, like our health care system, needs a disruption.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:07 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Reading up on him Orman is basically middle of the road on fiscal issues (though its issue by issue, some things he is conservative on, others a bit more liberal) and socially liberal

As far as this race and Independents in General, I think it's too early to tell. There are certain things very specific to this race that are making things interesting that might not have the same impact across the country.

The Democrats ran someone who was basically a sacrifical lamb initially whose campaign never got off the ground. You have a strong Independent candidate in Orman and a Republican Senator that had issues after a tough Primary challenge, and to top it off a bad atmosphere in the state for Repubicans despite it being a very Republican state due to overreach by the ultra conservative Governor.

Old 09-08-2014, 10:27 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,266,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoedDad View Post
Greg Orman's Rise Against Pat Roberts in Kansas Signals New Senate Era - US News

Sure hope so...don't know much about Orman I tried reading his website but couldn't get it to work for me the one time I tried....
Not so much a "new era" as a New way to win election.

1. Pat Roberts is the 78-year-old, three-term incumbent who struggled in the Republican primary against a tea party challenger and won with only 48 percent of the vote.

It's really time for him to hang it up, but he is like most of the CongressCritters and just hangs in there.
I know nothing at all about the Tea Party candidate that he barely beat.

2. Chad Taylor was the Democrat running against Roberts in a race he could not win - Kansas was NOT going to elect a Democrat.

3. Enter the "centrist" Orman (who used to be a Democrat) and will now try to convince the Kansas voters that he is a "centrist" ..... and what a shocker! The Democrat conveniently (and suddenly) decides to just drop out of the race.
Double shocker!!

Now the Democrat (who is calling himself a Centrist) has a real shot - love his Obama style start logo.
If Orman wins - he will be a vote for Harry Reid and caucus with the Democrats. It's a neat Reid type of plan. Orman ran for the Senate as a Democrat in 2008 - he donated money to Barack Obama, Hillary Clinton and Harry Reid in 2008. He donated money to Scott Brown in 2010 and to Todd Akin in 2012 (Akin was certainly the Democrat's choice as a GOP candidate to run against the unpopular Claire.)

Quite a "Centrist" background he has.
It's a pretty neat plan to give the Dems a shot at a Senate seat that previously had no chance of winning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies