Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 07:50 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
What worries me is that the younger generation doing this crap just doesn't care nor show respect.

It's al about "me" and getting my video going viral.
Younger generations of the past have shown no respect for others. The difference between today and many years ago is that stuff goes "viral". Youtube didn't exist until 2005 and WSHH didn't exist until some time after. The "it's all about me" has been taking place for as long as I remember, and before that. It was around when I was in middle school and I was getting jumped. It was the late 1990s and no such technology for things to go viral.

What it shows is the kind of "attention junkie" mentality that has always existed.

And something else. You did not once consider what I was worried about. You ignored all of it based on the response I saw.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:57 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,746,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is the thing. Most Blacks don't do stuff like that. The Blacks who did that crap were underclass thugs. Big difference between regular Black population and underclass thug types. The people who committed the beating in that video were underclass thugs. Big difference, and a person ought to know the difference.
Agreed 100%. That's why it's important for normal Black people not get caught up in the prison look that has swept over the underclass. When I hear people defending sagging pants, corn rows, visible hand/neck tattoos & liberally using the N word, saying "That's Black culture" I always say "No, that's prison culture. It's just that the lowest rung of the ladder has brought it with them when they left jail & it became the trendy in the poor neighborhoods." When I see good kids wearing that look, I think to myself "You're dressing like an ex-con, don't be surprised when people treat you like an ex-con.". Sadly, a lot of kids these days don't get it & don't understand the difference.

Old 09-09-2014, 07:58 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,470 times
The attack didnt last very long. Wasnt it a black security guard who stopped it. On top of that in the news story it mentioned that whites were also in the mob that attacked people in the parking lot. People have been arrested and charged. This might be more fall out from Ferguson or maybe an isolated incident. Meanwhile blacks and whites are living next to each other, getting married, having children, sharing the same communities, schools, jobs, etc. This should be condemned as most black people who have seen this have done. By the way it was the parent of two of the attackers who turned their kids in that lead to the arrests.

WJHL.com - 10 teens, 1 adult charged in brutal Kroger parking lot attack

Old 09-09-2014, 08:03 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
The police said it wasn't a hate crime because not all the victims were white. So if a group of white people go around attacking blacks all they need to do is attack one white person to escape hate crime charges? That makes sense...

Old 09-09-2014, 08:04 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,035,126 times
Perhaps the media and politicians need to be just as vocal on stories like this as they are on stupid athletes like Rice. This deserves ten times more attention as it affects more normal, average people. But they wont do that.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:05 PM

No, surely not all blacks act like this. But it seems to me nearly all of these mob attacks are made up of mostly black kids. I say its their culture and family lives or lack there of

Old 09-09-2014, 08:12 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,483,261 times
War on terror? How that phrase takes on new meaning after watching that terrible video.

Wow; that senseless violence was sure hard to watch and brings me to wonder in terms of personal damage why not commence a war on terror right in our inner cities? Something is seriously amiss if this kind of violent outburst is not studied carefully to find causes and cures.

If we can send numbers of our brightest and best young people overseas risking their very lives to prevent this kind of violence happening to foreign entities; we should expend even more resources getting to the bottom of this senseless domestic violence right on or own doorsteps.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:15 PM

I know I just touched on it, but we heard how everyone and there mother came out yesterday to voice their disgust on the Rice video that they kept playing and talking about. This deserves far more attention, and is far more disgusting. Yet most people haven't heard about it, seen it. I'm so sick of celebs and "important" folk and agendas being dominant in the coverage.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:17 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,588,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
I know I just touched on it, but we heard how everyone and there mother came out yesterday to voice their disgust on the Rice video that they kept playing and talking about. This deserves far more attention, and is far more disgusting. Yet most people haven't heard about it, seen it. I'm so sick of celebs and "important" folk and agendas being dominant in the coverage.
Great post; I agree.

Old 09-09-2014, 08:18 PM

73,005 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
Agreed 100%. That's why it's important for normal Black people not get caught up in the prison look that has swept over the underclass. When I hear people defending sagging pants, corn rows, visible hand/neck tattoos & liberally using the N word, saying "That's Black culture" I always say "No, that's prison culture. It's just that the lowest rung of the ladder has brought it with them when they left jail & it became the trendy in the poor neighborhoods." When I see good kids wearing that look, I think to myself "You're dressing like an ex-con, don't be surprised when people treat you like an ex-con.". Sadly, a lot of kids these days don't get it & don't understand the difference.
Truth is, some of it is also about perception. I don't defend the trend. I don't do it, and I find it stupid when anyone else does it. However, there is also a difference in perception. I've seen White males do the "sagging" thing. The worst reaction they get is "they are trashy". When Black males do it, they are more likely to be looked at as dangerous. They way I see it, if it is considered stupid for Blacks to it, the same standard should hold true for everyone else.

Interesting thing is, I lived in an apartment complex that around 50% Hispanic. Alot of Hispanic men would wear their pants that way.

One reason many kids won't get it or know the difference is because of pop culture. This kind of stuff is popularized on MTV, and on other channels. It is treated as a fashion statement in the youth culture. Basically, for the same reason youths in years past did certain things. The irony of the prison trend is this. There is a strong current of homophobia among some rappers who do this trend. And the trend has alot to do with homosexual sex in the prisons.

The first kids I ever met who did the "sagging" thing were White kids, skateboarders actually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies