Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2014, 12:42 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Yes they were. I've posted the data before. The vote was very, very regional.

Were Republicans really the party of civil rights in the 1960s? | Harry J Enten | Comment is free | theguardian.com

At first glance it looks like the GOP was a strong supporter of the CRA.

But wait! It was regional. The union states voted aye while the confederate states were opposed. At the time of the CRA the south was dominated by Democrats and their lack of support dilutes the percentages by a wide margin.

I said "Officially".

Is it too much that you read something carefully?

I am quite aware of regional influences within one party. Democrats in the East hate guns while the rest love them or hide their love.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 12:42 PM

4,698 posts, read 4,069,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
That's even funnier. have you ever been to France?
Yep, I have been to France, many times. Is that the best argument you got? Why not focus on the figures I gave you?

Old 09-16-2014, 12:45 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,766,078 times
Quote:
I am afraid you'd actually have to visit Sweden to understand the huge gap between these two countries.
I have.

And my great grandparents came from there.

And I am not criticizing Sweden at all.

What the hell are you talking about?

Old 09-16-2014, 12:46 PM

1,259 posts, read 828,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
The data came from US census bureau and Brå crime statistics. But I guess those sources are not good enough for you
Better data is this showing that while the homicide rate in the US is 4.7 in Sweden it is 0.7.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Also, US has a much lower violent victimization rate.
OECD Better Life Index

You need more sources, or have you embarrassed yourself enough?
OECD Better Life Index is based on a survey hence highly subjective... Why dont you just admit you've never been to Sweden or anywhere in Western Europe for that matter?

Old 09-16-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Better data is this showing that while the homicide rate in the US is 4.7 in Sweden it is 0.7.

List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
When you repeat your debunked argument, then I will just repeat myself.

There are other forms of crime than homicide rate. Sweden has a low homicide rate, because there are few guns in Sweden. However, other forms of crime is not low.

Source: Brå, US census bureau

Quote:
OECD Better Life Index is based on a survey hence highly subjective...
And still OECD included it, but I guess you know better than them right

Quote:
Why dont you just admit you've never been to Sweden or anywhere in Western Europe for that matter?
More stupidity from you. First off its not even relevant, and even if it is you don't know anything about me or the user Moth.

Actually I have been to Sweden around 4 times this year and I was recently at Skara Sommarland. You are embarrassing yourself.

Last edited by Camlon; 09-16-2014 at 02:27 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 02:39 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,226,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Why shouldn't we have it in the US? It would make this country much more prosperous. The Nordic Model is the best example of a mixed economy thus far. Why Americans oppose it? I have no idea.

All sounds good until you look under the covers....Oslo, one of THE most expensive cities in the world is starting to have a considerable racism problem. Everything is fine I guess until "they" come calling...their social welfare system is superb.....mainly because breakfast can set you back $40 US.....suuuuurreeee.....you can pay a cook 50K a year so long as you tax said cook 40-45% of it.....the panhandling is soooo bad that they are saying they want only THEIR panhandlers back....

Amsterdam suffered the same fate...roll out the carpet and voila, you get more than you bargained for...helping some homeless is one thing....helping many who make it a "career" is quite another....just ask Portland Oregon how well that welcoming the homeless turned out....how's that working out for them...

We live in a relatively hyper-competitive market. While Norwegians live, a good many have a hard time living "well". Clean though it may be, I don't see it in my future as a permanent residence. Nor Sweden, Holland etc.....

Keep it. I'll compete back here at the dog track. Your results may vary.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Yep, I have been to France, many times. Is that the best argument you got? Why not focus on the figures I gave you?
If you have ever been to France you would know that you can't find US style poverty in France. No US style ghettos in French cities and no Appalachia or Alabama there as well. Comparing US poverty to French poverty.. Hilarious.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
When you repeat your debunked argument, then I will just repeat myself.

There are other forms of crime than homicide rate. Sweden has a low homicide rate, because there are few guns in Sweden. However, other forms of crime is not low.
So you think that you can't commit a murder without a gun? Wow, what a deep argument, but it still does not change the fact that homicide rate in Sweden in 0.7 while in the US it is 4.7. Which country is safer?

And yes, not just homicide but crime in general is lower in Sweden than in the US.

Quote:
Source: Brå, US census bureau
You still haven't disclosed the source of that graph... Give us the URL

Quote:
And still OECD included it, but I guess you know better than them right
Surveys are subjective and OECD didnt make a secret that the data is based on a survey.

Quote:
More stupidity from you. First off its not even relevant, and even if it is you don't know anything about me or the user Moth.

Actually I have been to Sweden around 4 times this year and I was recently at Skara Sommarland. You are embarrassing yourself.
I don't think you've been anywhere, otherwise you'd know that Sweden is probably one of the safest countries on the planet. try again.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
If you have ever been to France you would know that you can't find US style poverty in France. No US style ghettos in French cities and no Appalachia or Alabama there as well. Comparing US poverty to French poverty.. Hilarious.
Really? No poverty in France?

Old 09-16-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
So you think that you can't commit a murder without a gun? Wow, what a deep argument, but it still does not change the fact that homicide rate in Sweden in 0.7 while in the US it is 4.7. Which country is safer?

And yes, not just homicide but crime in general is lower in Sweden than in the US.
If you have less guns, then you will have a lower homicide rate. Is that a very hard concept for you? You can kill without a gun, but it is much harder.

And I never claimed US is safer than Sweden. I just pointed out to you that homicide rate is not everything. And Sweden has seen its crime rate increase dramatically.

Quote:
You still haven't disclosed the source of that graph... Give us the URL
Anmälda brott - Brå [NS4 version]
https://www.census.gov/statab/hist/HS-23.pdf
https://www.census.gov/compendia/sta...es/12s0306.pdf

Done embarrasing yourself?

Quote:
Surveys are subjective and OECD didnt make a secret that the data is based on a survey.
So if it is meaningless, why would OECD include it. In fact they didn't even include it, they gave it equal importance as homicide rate.

Quote:
I don't think you've been anywhere, otherwise you'd know that Sweden is probably one of the safest countries on the planet. try again.
Pathetic. Is that everything you can do, claim you know where people on this forum has been.

And there is no way Sweden is one of the safest countries on the planet. They get crushed by for instance Japan and Singapore. I bet you wouldn't even be able to place Singapore on a map.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies