Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2014, 05:10 PM

73,002 posts, read 62,569,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Dead on accurate.
Interesting point. I met a student from Britain, who is mixed. Afro-Jamaican father/White British mother. He saw himself as 100% English in terms of culture. His race didn't matter to him. He looked at himself first and foremost, someone of the UK, British, with race not being a factor at all.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:14 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,130,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
It's about having a balance.

There's nothing wrong with ethnic diversity, as long as culturally a nation is homogeneous.
So what should the dominate culture in America be?

Old 10-04-2014, 05:17 PM

62,889 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Interesting point. I met a student from Britain, who is mixed. Afro-Jamaican father/White British mother. He saw himself as 100% English in terms of culture. His race didn't matter to him. He looked at himself first and foremost, someone of the UK, British, with race not being a factor at all.
Unfortunately, there are individuals/groups that do put their race/ethnic group above their loyalty to this nation and its laws. They think in terms of their ethnic group first rather than being Americans first.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:24 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
Can't see that ever happening in the US.

The US Census goes overboard with nosy, invasive questions as to race, ethnicity, et al....

Job applications in the past almost always had a box for "race." Might still be true today; I don't know since I haven't filled out one in many years.

People segregate themselves in the US in various places--NAACP, La Raza, Black Panthers, MALDEF, Congressional Black/Hispanic Caucus, ad nauseam.

If we want to be considered Americans first and foremost, things are going to have to change drastically in this country.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:26 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,898,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
So what should the dominate culture in America be?
The 1 we've got in 2014. That came from England. It works well compared to any African or Hispanic country. Even Japanese and S Korean culture are real close to how things are done in England in 2014.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Can't see that ever happening in the US.

The US Census goes overboard with nosy, invasive questions as to race, ethnicity, et al....

Job applications in the past almost always had a box for "race." Might still be true today; I don't know since I haven't filled out one in many years.

People segregate themselves in the US in various places--NAACP, La Raza, Black Panthers, MALDEF, Congressional Black/Hispanic Caucus, ad nauseam.

If we want to be considered Americans first and foremost, things are going to have to change drastically in this country.
The only way any of this will ever end is if prejudice in the heart ends. Even if we got rid of those groups, there will still be prejudice.

Until prejudice of the heart ends, until all discrimination ends, then it will be an uphill battle for everyone to call themselves "Americans".

I notice you didn't mention the KKK, CCC, or Neo-Nazi skinhead groups.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Unfortunately, there are individuals/groups that do put their race/ethnic group above their loyalty to this nation and its laws. They think in terms of their ethnic group first rather than being Americans first.
Until all prejudices and hatred end for real, such loyalties will continue. People look out for #1 because they can't trust anyone. Until all prejudice ceases, until trust can be built among everyone, stuff like this will, sadly, continue.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:45 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,871,509 times
Quote:
The only way any of this will ever end is if prejudice in the heart ends. Even if we got rid of those groups, there will still be prejudice.

Until prejudice of the heart ends, until all discrimination ends, then it will be an uphill battle for everyone to call themselves "Americans".

I notice you didn't mention the KKK, CCC, or Neo-Nazi skinhead groups.
Those groups should be included in the list also--but CCC? Civilian Conservation Corps..??

Predjudice will never end. You know as well as I do that while the term is generally applied to whites, anybody of any ethnic/racial group can be predjudiced, though many would be loath to admit it.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
Those groups should be included in the list also--but CCC? Civilian Conservation Corps..??

Predjudice will never end. You know as well as I do that while the term is generally applied to whites, anybody of any ethnic/racial group can be predjudiced, though many would be loath to admit it.
No, I'm talking about the Council of Conservative Citizens.

The prejudice and discrimination, particularly institutional, is part of why people have a "look out for self" mentality. No trust.

Old 10-04-2014, 06:02 PM

62,889 posts, read 29,114,800 times
Quote:
Until all prejudices and hatred end for real, such loyalties will continue. People look out for #1 because they can't trust anyone. Until all prejudice ceases, until trust can be built among everyone, stuff like this will, sadly, continue.
To my knowledge most blacks are loyal citizens to this country by abiding and respecting our country's laws. That's not the same thing as I was talking about. I was referring to those who put their ethnic group above their loyalty to our country and its laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies