Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2015, 10:22 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,231,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, the biggest contributor to the problem is the national school meals programs. Kids get free breakfast, lunch, and sometimes even dinner too if they're in after school care/programs, but their parents still get SNAP benefits to provide their kids those exact same meals. The adults then overeat, leading to the 44% obesity rate.
My bad, I did overlook that program, but I think it's an oversimplification to equate that with obesity. When I worked with the poor the issues I observed that would contribute to a poor diet were:

Inadequate access to shopping - many of the poor did not have access to regular grocery stores so they did much of their shopping in the snack shops in gas stations and liquor stores.

Lack of cooking facilities - at least in Northern Nevada many of the non-homeless poor lived in weekly motel rooms, they don't have kitchens, at the most they have a microwave and mini fridge, most prohibited hot plates and would evict a tenant who used one. It's hard to cook nutritious meals without a kitchen, dinner ends up being sandwiches or frozen dinners.

Limited knowledge on what constitutes a good diet. Unfortunately we now have generational poverty and if a young woman was raised by a mother who knew nothing about nutrition it's unlikely that the daughter will be able to shop wisely and choose the best foods.

Selling/trading SNAP benefits - I'm not talking about outright abuse of benefits, but rather the fairly common practice of beneficiaries selling part of their food benefits in order to pay rent. In Nevada the cash grant for a parent with 2 kids is $383, the cheapest weekly is around $500-$600 a month, so if she gets $500 in food benefits and has to sell enough food benefits to pay that rent and gets 50 cents on the dollar she could well end up with $100- $200 in SNAP to feed her family for a month. At that point you worry about filling your belly rather than eating a balanced diet so the diet consists largely of tortillas, white bread and cereal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2015, 10:32 AM

88,953 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
My bad, I did overlook that program, but I think it's an oversimplification to equate that with obesity. When I worked with the poor the issues I observed that would contribute to a poor diet were:

Inadequate access to shopping - many of the poor did not have access to regular grocery stores so they did much of their shopping in the snack shops in gas stations and liquor stores.

Lack of cooking facilities - at least in Northern Nevada many of the non-homeless poor lived in weekly motel rooms, they don't have kitchens, at the most they have a microwave and mini fridge, most prohibited hot plates and would evict a tenant who used one. It's hard to cook nutritious meals without a kitchen, dinner ends up being sandwiches or frozen dinners.

Limited knowledge on what constitutes a good diet. Unfortunately we now have generational poverty and if a young woman was raised by a mother who knew nothing about nutrition it's unlikely that the daughter will be able to shop wisely and choose the best foods.

Selling/trading SNAP benefits - I'm not talking about outright abuse of benefits, but rather the fairly common practice of beneficiaries selling part of their food benefits in order to pay rent. In Nevada the cash grant for a parent with 2 kids is $383, the cheapest weekly is around $500-$600 a month, so if she gets $500 in food benefits and has to sell enough food benefits to pay that rent and gets 50 cents on the dollar she could well end up with $100- $200 in SNAP to feed her family for a month. At that point you worry about filling your belly rather than eating a balanced diet so the diet consists largely of tortillas, white bread and cereal.
If those issues were the problem, the poor who DON'T get food stamps would have a similar obesity rate. They don't. Their obesity rate is in line with those with higher incomes who obviously don't qualify for SNAP.

The problem is duplication of benefits for the same meals, and even the USDA OIG recognizes that it's a significant problem.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:57 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,940,856 times
Yeah, because we all know Obama invented the school lunch program, SNAP, etc.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:13 AM

88,953 posts, read 44,771,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Obama's easing of the qualification requirements added how many people to SNAP?

According to USDA, the federal government spent more than $75 billion on SNAP last year. That's up from $34.6 billion in 2008. So much for an Obama recovery and the supposedly declining unemployment rate, huh?

Old 11-01-2015, 11:47 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Can you be a little more specific as to one policy Obama implemented that made matters worse and/or caused all this damage you claim is all Obama's doing? Again, specifics please!
1. its not just Obama, but liberals in general

2. the globalist liberal 'feel good' policies are destroying the economy and the middleclass

3. the 07/09 min wage increase was the straw that broke the camels back for the crash
3a take globalist liberal outsourcing policies like natfa, caftan, and all the other freetrade ......mix with
3b super free money housing market, pointed to get more minorities as home owners....mix with
3c a raising of the min wage.....and Walla.......economic crash

4. the 1.5 trillion Obama and the liberals pushed in saving FAILED car companies, saving FAILED insurance companies, saving FAILED financial institutions, lying about shovel ready jobs...

he could have put a solar electric power system on EVERY single family house and most apt building and ELIMINATED the need of residential electric companies...made EVERY home part of the grid...SAVING every homeowner/rents that 150-500/month electric bill.......did the liberals think about it...not at all

5. continuing to push the amnesties like the liberals have pushed 9 times since 1965.....

6. killing the military..and the phony arab spring

7. he has YET to push for an increase in the DOT budget (infrastructure repair Obama has FAILED to push for)

8. extending what was normally 13 weels for UE to two years..... I just liked how Speaker Pelosi said that EU bennis were feeding the economy

liberals have been killing the MIDDLECLASS for decades...and Obama is continuing the destruction

Old 11-01-2015, 12:24 PM

667 posts, read 940,067 times
Obama is one of the worst US presidents all times, everywhere failed.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:41 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Here too, can we think a moment? These issues/problems are not resolved by way of any one simple either/or options. The solutions, to whatever extent there are solutions to be had, require multi-level strategies. For example there is a reformed tax code to consider. One that results in more appropriate progressive taxes for the highest income Americans (like Obama, Trump and most front runners advocate today), better job opportunities and wages at the lower end, better educational opportunities, access to health care for all, etc...

These narrow-minded dismissals of any one particular area of consideration, because they are not the "silver bullet" we all wish existed, are not the mark of someone who understands politics or the bigger picture all too well.
Another poster who doesnt understand the difference between wealth, and income..

I agree, we need better education, clearly for those on the left

Old 11-01-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
What you are portraying is self-contradictory. You are claiming that people lost insurance when the economy tanked (which was 2008) and you credit the recovery for so many more people gaining insurance, not the ACA.

But wait, reading your other posts I learn that you deny that the economy and jobs are recovering and that Obama is a total failure with respect to jobs. So, which is it? Are so many more jobs being gained, bringing the uninsured rate down, because the economy is adding so many more jobs or is the "job-killing" ACA not so job-killing after all and responsible for the uninsured rate falling? You can't have it both ways. Either you need to admit that job gains under Obama are far better than you have stated before or admit that the ACA isn't job-killing at all. If it was so job-killing we wouldn't be having the best job growth since Clinton.

If we look at the below graph, even in Q1 2008 there was a 14.6% uninsured rate. We are now 3.2% below that.
Of course we get more people gaining insurance as we get an economic recovery, its ALWAYS taken place, just like jobs ALWAYS come back after they are lossed.

Its called a cycle.. Only a complete moron would credit Obama for something which has taken place for thousands of years.

Something like 96% of newly insured under ACA are WELFARE recipients. WHO IS PAYING MTA? Remember we were told that EVERYONE needed insurance, and we needed MORE PAYING CUSTOMERS..

MTA applauds failure and defends it at every turn..

Old 11-01-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The problem is duplication of benefits for the same meals, and even the USDA OIG recognizes that it's a significant problem.
I often wonder why food stamps arent adjusted when kids go back to school. More in the summer as parents are paying to feed their kids, and less when they are in school when the taxpayers double paying, 1) food stamps, and 2) School lunches

Old 11-01-2015, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Either the numbers are up or they arent.. If they are up, then clearly its a result of the economy of which you left wing kooks seem to believe the President is the one responsible..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies