Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2015, 04:43 PM

659 posts, read 312,476 times

Advertisements

More to consider rather than one article or phantom argument...

Imagine that!

Three Simple Reasons Why We Need Progressive Tax Rates - Mic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 09:08 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What an absurd defense of low wages. Essentially, you are saying that when the owners of production have more money, it's better for workers, which is patently false. Were the factory workers in 1900 America, who earned subsistence t wages, better off because the owners of the factories earned so much they lived in absolute luxury?

Raising the minimum wage raises wages for the lowest earning workers and studies show it has a negligible effect on employment.
And yet areas like Seattle etc have such a high cost of living, that the poor are priced out of the market and helped very little by any such increase.. Why is that? I know.. you hate the poor....

Old 08-31-2015, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by And D View Post

Imagine that!

Efficiency? What a stupid ass story.. who is suggesting we establish a system which results in those earning $400K netting less than those who earn $40K after taxes are paid?

Happiness? Using that argument, we should have a 0% tax rate..

Justice? People dont DESERVE their income? wtf?

Old 09-01-2015, 03:17 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
"You're saying you don't understand the charts, sentences, or citations as they were included/written in the article? What is confusing to you"

I understand the facts, charts and your article plenty well.
No, you don't. You thought the article and the facts it presented were about tax codes in different parts of the country, when in fact it was about such in different industrialized countries of the world. Seems you're too confused, or are unable, to understand the facts presented. As such, It's really kind of pointless to present the facts to you. You either don't have the capacity to understand them, or you're stuck in your own ideology facts be damned.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:20 AM

Quote:
PS: I attempted to correct my sentence to read "and/or in different countries." That was a typo, the kind of detail you love to focus upon, so we can't address your primary argument. Why? I think because you don't know yourself, so you refer to an article, leaving all to guess, or most certainly still me at this point...
I refer to the article because it presents the facts. My opinion doesn't matter, so I don't give it. The facts do matter. And you, yourself, asked for facts.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:20 AM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
And yet areas like Seattle etc have such a high cost of living, that the poor are priced out of the market and helped very little by any such increase.. Why is that? I know.. you hate the poor....
Seattle has a high cost of living because everyone is moving here. With people competing for the limited homes available, costs increase. Basic supply and demand.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:23 AM

Quote:

Imagine that!

Those are all emotion-based reasons, not fact-based reasons. You asked for facts.

The fact is that even with a flat tax in which everyone pays the same tax rate, the higher income earners would still pay more tax.

Example: 10% flat tax rate:

$40,000 earner would pay $4,000 tax
$400,000 earner would pay $40,000 tax

Whis is more: $4,000 or $40,000?

See? A flat tax would accomplish the goal of having those who earn more pay more in taxes.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:13 AM

"Justice? People dont DESERVE their income? wtf?"

This is understanding? wtf is right!?!

Old 09-01-2015, 10:15 AM

"You thought the article and the facts it presented were about tax codes in different parts of the country"

No I didn't. I pointed out that was a typo, but in typical stubborn bull-headed fashion, you wish to insist to the contrary.

As pointed out before, when the first part of any argument is ridiculous, why bother with the rest?

There is rarely any good reason, because "you can bring a horse to water, but..."

Old 09-01-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Seattle has a high cost of living because everyone is moving here. With people competing for the limited homes available, costs increase. Basic supply and demand.
So you understand supply and demand in the housing industry, but somehow believe the same doesnt hold true in regards to labor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies