Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 05:07 PM

55 posts, read 41,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Military members do NOT give up their Constitutional rights to freedom of religion, or right to Due Process, the right to not be subjected to a religious test, etc, etc by virtue of joining the military. That you believe they do scares me.
There is no religion in the military! You have the choice to attend service or not, as long as it does not conflict with training or your deployment.

As far as due process, again yes they do! They are not subject to merely the "traditional" court of law, yet they are bound by the UCMJ or the United Code of Military Justice!

Now again, please send me a link to your sources on this mysterious "religious test" that they give our service members!?

I mean, seriously bro, before you start trying to have an intelligent debate about the military, it would behoove you to grab your cohonas and serve a term first! I mean, just saying... After all we are on a military topic, and your comments are ALL subjective in nature. Try to dish out some facts instead of mere opinion to support you highly misinformed argument
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 05:09 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HARDKORE0811 View Post
Now again, please send me a link to your sources on this mysterious "religious test" that they give our service members!?
Link? You're in the damn link. This is a thread about how the Air Force requires members to swear an oath to God in order to enlist. If you don't swear the oath to God, then you are not allowed to enlist. That is an unconstitutional (under both Article VI, Paragraph 3 and the 1st Amendment) religious test.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:10 PM

39,221 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
"And a Pentagon official said the issue is settled — and the Air Force is wrong.

"There is no legal requirement to say 'so help me God' in any federal oath or affirmation by a person taking the oath," said the official, who was not authorized to speak on the matter. "Saying 'so help me God' in any federal oath is optional at the discretion of the person taking the oath, not the person administering the oath.
"

Air Force alone in 'so help me God' requirement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
No. It was made obligatory for the Air Force in the fall of 2013. Does nobody read any more?
It is now! OPTIONAL. Hey everybody makes mistakes. even the Air force. What is the big deal.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
"And a Pentagon official said the issue is settled — and the Air Force is wrong.

"There is no legal requirement to say 'so help me God' in any federal oath or affirmation by a person taking the oath," said the official, who was not authorized to speak on the matter. "Saying 'so help me God' in any federal oath is optional at the discretion of the person taking the oath, not the person administering the oath.
"

Air Force alone in 'so help me God' requirement
Quote:
Link? You're in the damn link. This is a thread about how the Air Force requires members to swear an oath to God in order to enlist. If you don't swear the oath to God, then you are not allowed to enlist.
and they've corrected this mistake. No?

If you believe in constitutional right in the military so much. Do you believe active duty military members have the right to question President Obama? For example, can they (active duty military members) go on facebook and post "Obama is the worst president." Is this constitutional right protected?

Why dodging this question?

Old 09-13-2014, 05:13 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
The word God is UNIVERSAL for ALL except Atheist... LOL
Well, polytheists and deists might want to discuss that...

Old 09-13-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
and they've corrected this mistake. No?
I haven't seen that the Air Force has changed its policy (please, give me a link if it has). If it has, that's fantastic.

Regardless, I'm still disturbed that you think the Air Force isn't beholden to the no religious test right protected by our Constitution and that you think it could impose a religious test if it wanted to.

Quote:
If you believe in constitutional right in the military so much. Do you believe active duty military members have the right to question President Obama?

Why dodging this question?
Because I'm not about to get into the Doctrine of Military Necessity. Short answer - military members certainly have 1st Amendment speech rights - just somewhat limited by the Doctrine of Military Necessity.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:

Because I'm not about to get into the Doctrine of Military Necessity. Short answer - military members certainly have 1st Amendment speech rights - just somewhat limited by the Doctrine of Military Necessity.
well, then I agree with you.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:21 PM

Quote:
I haven't seen that the Air Force has changed its policy (please, give me a link if they have). If they have, that's fantastic.

Regardless, I'm still disturbed that you think the Air Force isn't beholden to the no religious test right protected by our Constitution and that you think it could impose a religious test if it wanted to.
post 164 and then click on the link.

Pentagon says it is not a requirement. Air force was wrong. and the issue is settled.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
post 164 and then click on the link.

Pentagon says it is not a requirement. Air force was wrong. and the issue is settled.
Go re-read your link. It has most certainly not been resolved.

Old 09-13-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
The day that our military tries to stroke everybody off just to give all our service members their individuality is the day that we start losing wars....
Then wouldn't it make sense to have an oath that is completely neutral as to religious faith? Why insert something as individual and personal as religious faith into an enlistment oath???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies