Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 08:50 PM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Everyone/Every nation live by certain rules of a country, good or bad. US airforce did not ask him to join. If someone has joined, then that person has joined knowing the rules in the beginning.

Atheist must swear to God -- or leave US Air Force
I would wonder why he would care. Frankly it has never made sense to my why an atheist has any reservations about swearing to God or objecting to religious depictions such as nativity scenes since they think it is all fantasy.

So if I were an atheist and needed to swear allegiance to what I would consider as real as Mickey Mouse, how does that harm me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 09:50 PM

952 posts, read 942,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I would wonder why he would care. Frankly it has never made sense to my why an atheist has any reservations about swearing to God or objecting to religious depictions such as nativity scenes since they think it is all fantasy.

So if I were an atheist and needed to swear allegiance to what I would consider as real as Mickey Mouse, how does that harm me?

You should be required to swear on a stack of Comic books!

Old 09-10-2014, 10:15 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:

Depends on your standards for personal integrity. If your standard is low - it wouldn't harm you.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:51 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:

Some promises are a pretty big deal. Imagine if you were required to swear on Vishnu's sacred name to be considered married - wouldn't you consider that pretty important promise somewhat cheapened?

Old 09-11-2014, 12:04 AM

16,591 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Depends on your standards for personal integrity. If your standard is low - it wouldn't harm you.
That does not make any sense. Saying something you don't believe in related to a fictitious belief does not harm you from an atheist perspective. Another words if you believe in God and are told you must renounce your faith, or swear to a different god, I see your point. However if you think the rest of the world is nuts because you know in your belief system there is no supernatural deity, you are not harming anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Some promises are a pretty big deal. Imagine if you were required to swear on Vishnu's sacred name to be considered married - wouldn't you consider that pretty important promise somewhat cheapened?
The oath is to profess allegiance to the USAF and swear to uphold the Constitution. Saying "so help me God" afterward shouldn't bother an atheist unless he is trying to make a political statement. Then again many atheist activists are out to try and tear down this countries religious history and symbols, all because they have an agenda to remove any and all religion from our society.

`

Old 09-11-2014, 02:05 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2PPenn View Post
Cry baby who cares... If he does not believe in God the words are worthless anyway. I hate when one person is destroying for everybody else
So I presume you'd have no problem swearing to Vishnu?

I don't take a great many of these types of mandatory oaths seriously...but some people do. Also, what happens when the atheists follow your line of reasoning...and their fellow navy members find out they don't believe in god. They might lose some respect of their peers.

Now...why didn't you think of that already? Are you not thinking about things enough, or are my conclusions incorrect? Now unless you can explain why I'm incorrect, go tell your friends with similar perspectives how wrong you are, because I'm getting tired of repeating things people should already know, as I'm sure many other secular thinkers are. I'll accept that as a form of apology.

Last edited by Clintone; 09-11-2014 at 02:13 AM..

Old 09-11-2014, 02:54 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:

The oath is to profess allegiance to the USAF and swear to uphold the Constitution. Saying "so help me God" afterward shouldn't bother an atheist unless he is trying to make a political statement. Then again many atheist activists are out to try and tear down this countries religious history and symbols, all because they have an agenda to remove any and all religion from our society.

`
You don't think the person might just be concerned others will assume he or she believes in god because he or she says "so help me god?"

I'm hearing a lot of whining about how much atheists are whining...but not many reasons why it would be advantageous to mandate that everybody say "so help me god."

Does everyone saying "so help me god" boost morale or group cohesion somehow? I don't understand these things, having never been in the military.

Old 09-11-2014, 03:04 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Everyone/Every nation live by certain rules of a country, good or bad. US airforce did not ask him to join. If someone has joined, then that person has joined knowing the rules in the beginning.
No "rule" that is inconsistent with the Constitution is permissible and is liable to be chucked out.

Old 09-11-2014, 06:24 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
If I were him I would fight it, win (which he will) then change branches of service and go join the Army or Navy he will gain rank faster in the Army than either the Air Force or Navy so might be his best bet. Who would want to work for a bunch that forces others to swear to something they do not believe in, ridiculous.

Old 09-11-2014, 07:24 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SthrnCarolinaGrl View Post
I find it hard to believe that the airforce at the end of 2013, added something like that to be forced on someone. I don't believe that. I'm going to call and check on that tmr. Just because a news source says it, doesn't make it so.

"And a Pentagon official said the issue is settled — and the Air Force is wrong.

"There is no legal requirement to say 'so help me God' in any federal oath or affirmation by a person taking the oath," said the official, who was not authorized to speak on the matter. "Saying 'so help me God' in any federal oath is optional at the discretion of the person taking the oath, not the person administering the oath.
"

Air Force alone in 'so help me God' requirement
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies