Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 05:20 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
if it's a consumer product, as you call it, why is it against the law for Doctors not treat critical ailments in the emergency room?
You can walk into Walmart and get an emergency iPhone. Just tell 'em you need it or you'll die!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 05:23 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,087,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
if it's a consumer product, as you call it, why is it against the law for Doctors not treat critical ailments in the emergency room?
Because a very bad law requiring the hospital (not the doctor) to provide service at no cost was enacted. The doctor, as an employee of the hospital, is compensated for doing his/her job. It's not just "critical" ailments, but every illegal who brings in their snotty-nosed anchor baby for a cold, and every gang-banger who catches a slug who must be seen and treated. The hospital then passes the cost along to legitimate patients, which is why a band aid costs $50 for some of us in the ER.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:27 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Yes, I would be against it on principal. I do not believe in a Big Brother government which provides for all our needs, I believe instead being responsible for one's self to the greatest degree possible with minimal government involvement in life. And I see healthcare as no more than another consumer service in life, and expect you to pay for yours as I pay for mine. If we can reduce government spending to the point where your proposal would be possible, then I'd prefer a reduction in taxes and expect that everyone would use that additional money in their pocket each month to obtain insurance. If they chose not to, then what happens to them is by their own choice - or lack of choice for those who aren't paying taxes to begin with.
No its not and its not even close, the minimum the hospital should provide is emergency service and then bill the customer.. Ask anyone that has children with disabilities who lost their job through no fault of their if emergency rooms should treat the patient.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:33 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,462,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous725 View Post
Our income tax is larger than Canada's and about the same as the UK if you live in New York City; Why do I have to pay for health insurance when it should be 95-100% subsidized by the federal government with the amount of tax I, and pretty much everyone else pays?
Because America is a free country. If you want health insurance, get a job and buy health insurance. It's not my job to take care of you. I know that sounds cruel, but that's why America is the most powerful nation the planet has ever since since the dawn of humanity. America has dominated culturally, economically, militarily, and scientifically on an unprecedented scale. It's not an accident or a coincidence that the one nation to do this is also the one nation that places its highest values on individual effort and freedom.

So here's the thing. You get a rare disease. You have to pay for treating it here whereas in Europe the treatment would have been free. But the only reason the treatment exists at all is because of America. Because in Europe your disease, being rare, would not be deemed worth the resources of an entire nation to develop a cure. But in America an uncured rare disease is a new market opportunity that some individual research firm will make a fortune curing.

So be thankful that not everybody is so shortsighted as to embrace socialized medicine. It may save your life someday.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
No its not and its not even close, the minimum the hospital should provide is emergency service and then bill the customer.. Ask anyone that has children with disabilities who lost their job through no fault of their if emergency rooms should treat the patient.
I'd say the maximum provided would be emergency treatment and then ship them out the door - literally. If unable to provide verifiable evidence of insurance of guaranteed means of payment, no one, at any time should be treated without absolute proof positive of their identity and address. The hospital could then pursue them as would any other debtor and if they are unable to pay the bill, they should be "blackballed" against receiving any further treatment anywhere - the same way credit reports work. If I don't pay my Nordstrom bill, then Neiman Marcus isn't going to want to do business with me when I show up as a new customer seeking to purchase on credit.

If an unidentifiable man, say in his teens, is brought in on a Saturday night with a 9mm belly wound, I'd say if he has no ID then let him bleed until someone shows up with verifiable ID for him. Same with the non-English speaking family who's kid has a runny nose - no shirt, no shoes, NO SERVICE!

Old 09-10-2014, 05:44 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
this is a hard hard concept for young americans who have had it all for free for 50 years. you see you must pay for stuff not sign for stuff not be entitled for stuff, but work, get money and then pay for the things you need.
the new phenomena, is you gota pay to get it and you got to pay extra to get it first class.
this is a strange new doctrine for many.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
this is a hard hard concept for young americans who have had it all for free for 50 years. you see you must pay for stuff not sign for stuff not be entitled for stuff, but work, get money and then pay for the things you need.
the new phenomena, is you gota pay to get it and you got to pay extra to get it first class.
They want their healthcare like they get their WiFi - free with a tall macchiato!

Old 09-10-2014, 05:49 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
You get real.

If you cite that some one else in my risk pool is paying for my medical care, you're right. But my risk has been statistically evaluated and my premiums set accordingly. I believe you're saying that higher risk participants be put into pools they otherwise would not be eligible for and their costs be offset by the lower risk candidates, right? Jill and Jack need to be in high risk pools and paying according to that risk, not guaranteed entry into my lower risk pool.
Actually if everyone was in a Medicare for All pool, your cost would even be lower than it
already is

And no, I still do not consider health care a "consumer product". Maybe elective stuff,
but not life/death stuff.

Old 09-10-2014, 05:56 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
it provides the market with fresh adults ready to work who have had a minimal education standard.

We do not benefit, as a society, by taking care of you when you are sick. You are one individual, Children, are millions.
Sounds like your talking about a fish market

But she has to wait a long time for that benefit, all the while, paying for them.
And sometimes those little buggers don't graduate or contribute to society.

What a cruel thing to say. She is one individual of millions just like her.

We do not benefit when anyone is sick. That's why they have this thing called
preventative medicine...

Old 09-10-2014, 06:10 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,717,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Quote:
They want their healthcare like they get their WiFi - free with a tall macchiato!
Why dont you guys tell us where you get your health care? I bet Uncle Sam pays for your health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies