Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2014, 06:49 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No. My point is that the ACOG is NOT recommending you be able to buy BCP like condoms, or bubble gum. My point is they're recommending selling them w/o a prescription but WITH the screening. Yikes! How many posts did that take.
Self screening. You have no point to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2014, 07:01 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
No. My point is that the ACOG is NOT recommending you be able to buy BCP like condoms, or bubble gum. My point is they're recommending selling them w/o a prescription but WITH the screening. Yikes! How many posts did that take.
Your post 89 was not as clear as you think ---

"Do note the ACOG recommends that women self-screen, in other words fill out a questionnaire before being able to purchase BCPs OTC."

I thought the bolded words meant a woman would be banned from buying bc until she completed some type of questionnaire. In fact, all you were doing is pointing out an ACOG recommendation, in less clear language.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:01 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Actually I think the main reason they are thinking about changing it, is because gynecologists are losing business. The end result is just more unprotected sex, which will lead to more abortions.

In other countries, they will just check your blood pressure and then give you the pills. In America they have to give you an invasive and expensive exam, which can be traumatizing for teenagers.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Actually I think the main reason they are thinking about changing it, is because gynecologists are losing business. The end result is just more unprotected sex, which will lead to more abortions.
How in the world would this lead to more women not being on B.C. ?

Quote:
In other countries, they will just check your blood pressure and then give you the pills. In America they have to give you an invasive and expensive exam, which can be traumatizing for teenagers.
The medical community seems to be saying that a full exam is no longer always necessary to get B.C. pills.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:31 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RecentlyMoved View Post
why didn't you just post the original story from the Planned Parenthood website?

The Truth About Over-the-Counter Access to Birth Control - Planned Parenthood Action Center
"The truth is we don't want to be cut out of the profits...uh, we mean cut out of the care continuum. That's it. We care."

Old 09-12-2014, 07:37 AM

4,698 posts, read 4,072,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
How in the world would this lead to more women not being on B.C. ?
Teenagers are often not too willing to visit their doctor, especially if it includes a full exam. Hence, they will just use condoms, sometimes. Other times they will use no protection at all, and you will end up with more teenage birth/abortions.

Quote:
The medical community seems to be saying that a full exam is no longer always necessary to get B.C. pills.
Maybe, but it currently depends on the doctor. That means women have to hop around from doctor to doctor till they find someone who want to force them into an invasive exam.

Teenagers are especially vulnerable to this, because they may not even know how to change their doctor, they not want their parents to find out and doctor appointments are expensive.

Old 09-12-2014, 07:37 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
If a woman has any history of menstruation problems, her doctor needs to know this. I had very heavy prolonged periods at 12 years old (1960) and they put me on "hormones" to correct it. It got better as I got older and I stopped taking them.

When I was in my 20's and needed BC, I did not tell my doctor about this. How would I even know what I took as a pre-teen? I had MAJOR problems taking the Combination Pill; breakthrough bleeding, and again, very heavy periods. My doctor put me on the Mini Pill (Progesterone only) and things were fine after that.

I know that many people think it should and can be sold over the counter, BUT an individual woman's medical history MUST be taken into consideration. It can have severe consequences for some women.

No, it isn't candy, and it not like a condom which very rarely will have any adverse reactions for a male.
Agreed.

Like you said: some women who DON'T have sex at all use the pill for the reasons you said.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camlon View Post
Teenagers are often not too willing to visit their doctor, especially if it includes a full exam. Hence, they will just use condoms, sometimes. Other times they will use no protection at all, and you will end up with more teenage birth/abortions.
I still have no idea how this plays into that. I would certainly think the first time you would want to see a doctor but if its OTC you don't have to.

Quote:
Maybe, but it currently depends on the doctor. That means women have to hop around from doctor to doctor till they find someone who want to force them into an invasive exam.
Do you have a clue what this discussion is about?

Old 09-12-2014, 10:26 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,698,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
When politician has an idea it translates into legislation, a bill.

At the present time OTC means not covered by insurance. Can you finally get that?

From your own link:

"We found that even the groups that advocate making the pill available over the counter — like Jessica Arons, president and CEO of the Reproductive Health Technologies Project and Dan Grossman, vice president for research at Ibis Reproductive Health — did not believe it was a cheaper alternative for consumers than requiring insurance companies to cover contraceptives without cost sharing."
Thank you.

I know some will question or deride the source, but, to those with objectivity, this will ring true:

GOP wants women to buy over-the-counter birth control with all the money they aren’t getting paid - Salon.com

Old 09-12-2014, 10:53 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post

I know some will question or deride the source, but, to those with objectivity, this will ring true:

GOP wants women to buy over-the-counter birth control with all the money they aren’t getting paid - Salon.com

Progressive Bubble Struggles to Comprehend GOP's OTC Birth Control Push

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies