Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2014, 02:03 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I've lived in lots of places on this planet, and I have yet to find a "poor white ghetto" that measures up to the numerous "poor black ghettos" I've seen scattered across the country. From my experience, the absolute worst "white trash" area is utopia compared to the absolute worst "black ghetto" I've seen. There really is no comparison.
lol...

Old 09-12-2014, 02:11 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,045,301 times
The neighborhood that I came from is still 98% white....some low class trailer trash, most hard working middle class.

The difference is that we didn't, and they still don't have a violent crime issue.

Even the neighborhoods in Philly which were considered "white trash" such as Kensington still never had a high violent crime rate.

Now there are shootings and murders on a weekly basis in what used to be considered very desirable neighborhoods, like the North East, Mayfair, Holmesburg, Tacony, Juniata, Oxford Circle, etc, etc.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:35 PM

29,214 posts, read 22,351,209 times
Quote:
I've lived in lots of places on this planet, and I have yet to find a "poor white ghetto" that measures up to the numerous "poor black ghettos" I've seen scattered across the country. From my experience, the absolute worst "white trash" area is utopia compared to the absolute worst "black ghetto" I've seen. There really is no comparison.
You haven't been to enough places yet, then.
There are indeed poor white ghettos. They just aren't in the middle of big cities so much, and they aren't usually publicly paid for high rises or projects, but they're there, for sure, and are all the worse because they aren't in areas where there is a lot of law enforcement.

All you have to do to find them is take a cruise through all the small towns that have gradually failed, for many reasons, for the past 40 years. Those places are all over the country, and I've been in some that were more desperate, and potentially more personally dangerous, than what I've seen in the big metros.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:57 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,905,230 times
I've seen lots of poor white trash houses which look like crap. Normally they have multiple junk cars (none of which run) parked on the front lawn which long ago died. Their houses haven't been painted in decades, often they're in need of repairs due to neglect, junk and trash is strewn all over, and the people who live there seem more interested in drinking, doing drugs, and fighting with their spouse (judging by the number of times cops have to stop by on domestic calls) to bother cleaning any of it up. To compare, we also have a fair number of eastern European immigrants in this area and most of them are blue collar folks with limited means but almost to the last person they take care of their houses. The lawns are always bright green and perfectly trimmed, they'll plant flowers because growing them from bulbs costs only pennies, the houses get painted every year, and even though they don't have much cash they are very willing to put in "sweat equity" to help improve their properties which helps make the neighborhood nicer.

Just being poor isn't an excuse because lots of people might be poor but still take pride in their homes.

Last edited by Think4Yourself; 09-12-2014 at 03:43 PM..

Old 09-13-2014, 08:29 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,107 times
Quote:
The PWT have about as many shoot-outs as our black ghetto friends. Almost 50/50 for our region actually.

Our area still has white burglars and home invaders as well. They come out from the sticks to rob the suburbs; similar to the ghetto blacks coming out of their projects to do the same.

Not long ago we had a husband/wife team of burglars who attempted a get away on...a riding lawn mower.

Guess the race on that one.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:37 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,748,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
The biggest difference from a ghetto to those parks were gun violence, that's about it.
That's about it huh? Seems like a rather major difference to me.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:44 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,657,967 times
I have lived in rural southeastern Montana, rural northern and central New York State, in big city Houston and rural and small town east Texas and currently live in Philadelphia. I've seen a lot of white areas. A whole lot. Over the past decade, I've also seen lots of black areas.

I have seen them look just as bad on a house by house basis as the inner city ghetto, but there are things that soften the view - green spaces in between each building, which you don't get in North Philly. 150 year old row homes abused for 50 years sitting immediately on the sidewalk look intrinsically worse than shabby cape cods, raches and double wides on half an acre each.

Both look bad, but as I examine my own prejudices I believe I judged the people of the ghetto on things that aren't relevant, such as the fact that I was raised looking at rolling acres of land and suddenly found myself staring at something that looked like a war zone simply because there was no visual relief between crack houses/meth houses/trashed out houses.

As for the people themselves... there is objectively more violence in the inner city, AKA largely black and Puerto Rican neighborhoods than in decaying rural towns. Even than in white trash city neighborhoods ( a PP gave a good example of Kensington as it was, or Bridesburg as it still is.)

All this does is circle around back to the Why.

I believe the Why is that most kids raised without hope won't spontaneously develop it within themselves. As poor as we were at times (snow boots duck taped together, lights shut off, all hand me downs) no one EVER told me I couldn't get out of it, or that it wasn't possible to climb, or that there was a conspiracy against me. Entire neighborhoods full of people told this (or not told anything at all, if you don't have parents) are just not going to look nice. The truly exceptional will get out; the average won't.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:53 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,898,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
I've lived in three trailer parks, none of them longer than a year. One was a park for vacationers (2nd homes) the other two were trash and just about as bad as any ghetto that I've been to.

Breast feeding mothers on the porches with kids latched on that were at least 3-4 years old, those same kids ran around the park with just their diapers on, and btw, it was more than one porch. Meth was the drug of choice in the park, you can always tell a meth addict by their leather, worn out, faces and lack of teeth. Domestic disputes were a daily occurrence.

Garbage everywhere, cars on blocks, kids baby pools blowing around the park, nasty diapers everywhere, it was pretty damn gross. The biggest difference from a ghetto to those parks were gun violence, that's about it.
You nailed it right there!

I'm in Bullhead City which def has its PWT but; like you said, there's very LITTLE shooting going on. Tho many "hillbillies" love their guns and like to shoot, even prohibited possessors. But; where's the "gun play" at night or even during the day? It's VERY rare here.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:57 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,448,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I've seen lots of poor white trash houses which look like crap. Normally they have multiple junk cars (none of which run) parked on the front lawn which long ago died. Their houses haven't been painted in decades, often they're in need of repairs due to neglect, junk and trash is strewn all over, and the people who live there seem more interested in drinking, doing drugs, and fighting with their spouse (judging by the number of times cops have to stop by on domestic calls) to bother cleaning any of it up. To compare, we also have a fair number of eastern European immigrants in this area and most of them are blue collar folks with limited means but almost to the last person they take care of their houses. The lawns are always bright green and perfectly trimmed, they'll plant flowers because growing them from bulbs costs only pennies, the houses get painted every year, and even though they don't have much cash they are very willing to put in "sweat equity" to help improve their properties which helps make the neighborhood nicer.

Just being poor isn't an excuse because lots of people might be poor but still take pride in their homes.

If you're poor and don't own your home, and you have no idea how long you'll be able to stay in your home or even in the neighborhood, what's to take pride in - and does such pride make economic sense?

Old 09-13-2014, 08:59 AM

2,727 posts, read 2,833,144 times
It's not about race. Most normal white people feel the same about poor white trash as they do about black ghetto thugs. We don't like them and it has nothing to do with color. It has to do with behavior.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.