Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2014, 08:50 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
$ half a billion as in $500 million?

The bombing we have been doing is running $7.5 million a day. We crossed the $ half billion mark in August.
"War's good business, so give your son, but I'd rather have my country die for me..." Jefferson Airplane

Old 09-15-2014, 08:51 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
It's between the Sunni and the Shia. Let them fight it out.

"Mad dogs and Englishmen..."

Old 09-15-2014, 08:54 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
To the OP question, Yes we can win using the Air Power we have, along with the people who live there. It comes down to the people who live there.
When the first 2 divs. of Iraq walked away from the fight,I was very happy that their were no American troops there to be turned on.

We are not fighting in Libya, Egypt, Syria or any of those Middle East Countries on the ground. Lets keep it that way and let them solve it.
Reminds me of the fighting in Ireland, the fighting between Catholics and Protestants. How many generations did it take for a peace to take hold.

We do not need to put boots on the ground.
"We spent 10 years training the Iraqi military. When the enemy came they put their weapons down, shed their uniforms and hid"- Rand Paul, June , 2014.

How many of those we trained were or subsequently embraced ISIS?

Last edited by middle-aged mom; 09-15-2014 at 09:13 AM..

Old 09-15-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
The war in Vietnam was not lost by the US military. The American people lost their will to continue the battle. That is why we will not win against ISIS or anyone else. All they have to do is wait us out. We have no resolve for a long conflict. We have no legs after the first round.
And in absence of conscription, we never would have put boots on the ground beyond a superficial number.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:58 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
But as was the case with the Iraq coalition, few countries (especially US) will carry 90% of the load.

Who is part of the coalition to battle ISIS? - CNN.com

The United States has conducted more than 150 airstrikes in Iraq against ISIS, and Secretary of State John Kerry has said nearly 40 nations have agreed to contribute to the fight against the militants. But it remains unclear which countries are on that list and the precise role they'll play.

On Sunday, Kerry said countries in the Middle East are willing to help with strikes against ISIS, but he said on CBS' "Face the Nation" program that "it's not appropriate to start announcing" which nations will participate and what each will do.
The US will "carry the load?" From where, 15,000 feet up?

This entire non-war "effort" by Obama relies on:
1. "moderate" Syrian rebels - not yet identified
2. an Iraqi army - not yet trained, who thru down their arms and ran away like little boys
3. and an allied coalition - that does not have a defined role yet.
Who will be commanding this allied coalition? Who will be giving orders to these foot soldiers in the rebels faction and Iraqi army? Who will these men be taking orders from to risk their lives, some US adviser talking on a radio from his air-conditioned office in the US Pentagon? Oh yeah, I can see that happening, rebels and Iraqi military blindly, and willingly trusting orders from some American, to charge into battle and get killed. When they do get killed, will they praise their US commanders or blame them?

Old 09-15-2014, 08:59 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Well, since France says that it contributed "18,000" rounds, then I'm only talking about France.
And they said they will participate in the air campaign. Is it hard to understand the rounds are not the only contribution?

Old 09-15-2014, 09:03 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,677,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I didn't say I shot 18,000 .50 caliber rounds. I said I shot at least 18,000 rounds in the past year.

The point being that if one person (myself) can shoot 18,000 rounds in a year, then 18,000 rounds is diddley-squat when bragging about arming an army who will be facing a well-armed terrorist group.

Do you realize how fast it is to fire 180 rounds out of one gun? 360 rounds? 500 rounds? That's less than 2 hours of fun at the gun range where there's no need to actually shoot back at someone who's shooting at you!
I hope you recycled the brass from those 18,000 rounds.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:10 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
O will be bombing Assad and putting Islamists into Syrian government.

Don't be fooled into believing he is 'fighting ISIS'. The Obama administration created ISIS.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Will Rogers said: "There should be a law that we can't start a new war until we pay for the last one.."

Yes, I think that is the strategy. Bleed us economicaly and sap our will. It's working well.
We have not finished paying for WW2, yet.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:11 AM

23,550 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
But as was the case with the Iraq coalition, few countries (especially US) will carry 90% of the load.

Who is part of the coalition to battle ISIS? - CNN.com

The United States has conducted more than 150 airstrikes in Iraq against ISIS, and Secretary of State John Kerry has said nearly 40 nations have agreed to contribute to the fight against the militants. But it remains unclear which countries are on that list and the precise role they'll play.

On Sunday, Kerry said countries in the Middle East are willing to help with strikes against ISIS, but he said on CBS' "Face the Nation" program that "it's not appropriate to start announcing" which nations will participate and what each will do.
So GWB's 40 nation coalition is now Obama's standard?
Wonder what 'nearly' 40 translates to in Obamaspeak?
In obama world it is always about the numbers and creative accounting; nothing about the substance.

Most of those missions were not intended to destroy ISIS according to Obama's original intent. They were just to give breathing room to the stranded on the mountain. That was before there were too many to evacuate before there were too few to try to evacuate.

Obama wins wars and elections by wordsmithing and muddled interpretations of the one size fits all sentence structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies