Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 12:45 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
What mistakes? Decriminalization is a band aid, and does not mean it's legal. Furthermore it still keeps the black market in play, as they would be the primary source of distribution. When prohibition of alcohol ended, so did the organized crime surrounding it. If you have no issues cannabis use, and people having it, then why oppose legalization?
I strongly oppose legalization because it gives government more power than they are entitled to have. Should government legalize dandelions or crab grass? If not, then why should they legalize marijuana?

Decriminalization abolishes all criminal laws. If it is not criminal, then there is no need for a black market. Or do you now understand the concept of a "black market?" Only items that are illegal or criminal to possess and/or use are sold at black markets. Nobody risks going to an illegal black market to buy a quart of milk.

With the legalization of alcohol and tobacco, not only is it a morally dubious position for government to take, profiting from taxpayer's vices, but it also created huge black markets. Just as big as during prohibition. In one year alone Hamas collected almost a billion dollars from black market cigarette sales in the US.

Even after prohibition the government continues to pursue, arrest, try and convict bootleggers. So do not try to pretend that ending prohibition was a panacea.

Do you not understand that legalization means the enactment of new laws? With new laws comes law enforcement. That means no matter how you slice it, people will go to prison under any new marijuana law that government enacts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 01:01 PM

352 posts, read 324,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
and this is coming from someone who was initially pro legalization, but was unaware of what was going on in washington.

my mom was there a few weeks ago(sister getting married) and she told me they advertise it constantly on television.

she said my cousins would sit inside the bathroom all day and smoke pot, and that even at the wedding there was an area for them to smoke.

she even took a hit herself(i think the first time in her life) and didn't like it, made her feel sick.

i think in the end this is going to come back and bite us.

So the solution is to continue a policy that contributes to hundreds of thousands of arrests, thousands of murders due to turf wars and robberies and the like, where we waste billions of dollars enforcing to no avail and where we miss out on billions in taxable revenue?

The anti-legalization crowd has absolutely no information, logic or intelligence behind it. It's all "there was this one person who tried it and had a problem" nonsense. My mother once tried a slice from Amici's Pizza (my favorite chain pizza place) and it nearly killed her...(she was allergic to the sauce's contents of red pepper and oregano)...so should that be illegal? After all, that pizza is more deadly to her than marijuana.

Advertising should not be directed at children, and frankly, there's no reason it should be publicly advertised at all...and I think that should be the case with alcohol and tobacco as well as candy and unhealthy food.

You're basically saying that you think it's totally fine that there are literally DOZENS OF ALCOHOL ADS DURING THE SUPER BOWL but that Marijuana ads are the end of the world. I can't drive 1 mile on the freeway without seeing some kind of alcohol advertisement, and alcohol leads to far more problems than marijuana ever could.

Basically, what I am saying is that the really minor issues you stated (which aren't really even issues...those guys probably would be dumb lazy stoners even with illegal pot, I know plenty of those already) are nothing in comparison to the catastrophic problems the prohibition has caused. Thousands of murders, billions of dollars, millions of prisoners, and countless lives ruined by the prosecution process. These are the real costs of prohibition. Meanwhile, you can go to any college in the country and find the nearest hippie playing hacky sack or strumming an acoustic guitar and have a joint in your hand in less than an hour. Clearly prohibition has failed miserably.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:07 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
I strongly oppose legalization because it gives government more power than they are entitled to have. Should government legalize dandelions or crab grass? If not, then why should they legalize marijuana?

Decriminalization abolishes all criminal laws. If it is not criminal, then there is no need for a black market. Or do you now understand the concept of a "black market?" Only items that are illegal or criminal to possess and/or use are sold at black markets. Nobody risks going to an illegal black market to buy a quart of milk.

With the legalization of alcohol and tobacco, not only is it a morally dubious position for government to take, profiting from taxpayer's vices, but it also created huge black markets. Just as big as during prohibition. In one year alone Hamas collected almost a billion dollars from black market cigarette sales in the US.

Even after prohibition the government continues to pursue, arrest, try and convict bootleggers. So do not try to pretend that ending prohibition was a panacea.

Do you not understand that legalization means the enactment of new laws? With new laws comes law enforcement. That means no matter how you slice it, people will go to prison under any new marijuana law that government enacts.

a large portion of cigarettes sold in new York are from the black now, and what about all the counterfeit merchandise sold around the world from cd's watches, guitars, clothing, jewelry etc.. the list is endless...

its all about price not whether something is legal or not.. if the price of a particular product is to high the black market will step in. period...

I bought a pair of levis jeans that looked real in every way, but when I went to use them a year later they were falling a part, I mean totally disintegrating!! and I never wore them not once ,they were from a black market. actually its a good thing I didn't wear them? who the hell knows what kind of toxic chemicals were used in the making of those jeans..

its all about price..

Old 09-17-2014, 01:08 PM

352 posts, read 324,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I'm fine with drug legalization as long as I, as a non-user, am not required to pay for the health consequences of those who choose to use.

But that is not currently the case, nor is it likely to be anytime soon.
Well, since fat people are much more of a burden on society and cause far more costs to our healthcare, we should make food illegal.

Obesity Costs More in Healthcare than Smoking

The lowlights:
Reuters is reporting that obesity in America is now adding an astounding $190 billion to the annual national healthcare price tag.
Obese men rack up an additional $1,152 a year in medical spending, especially for hospitalizations and prescription drugs.
Obese women account for an extra $3,613 a year.
The researchers found even higher costs among the uninsured: annual medical spending for an obese person was $3,271 compared with $512 for the non-obese.

And since Marijuana smokers are generally skinnier than the average person, you should actually SUPPORT legalization because it'll bring down healthcare costs.

Additionally, A study from March 2012, published in the journal Phytomedicine, show that when obese rats are dosed with the active ingredient in marijuana, tetrahydrocannabinol they lose weight.

So again, the ignorance is on the anti-legalization side...the facts are with legalization. It's not about access, anyone who wants pot can get it with no trouble at all, regardless of legal status in their domicile, it's about the consequences of the prohibition itself.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:12 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
Well, since fat people are much more of a burden on society and cause far more costs to our healthcare, we should make food illegal.

Obesity Costs More in Healthcare than Smoking

The lowlights:
Reuters is reporting that obesity in America is now adding an astounding $190 billion to the annual national healthcare price tag.
Obese men rack up an additional $1,152 a year in medical spending, especially for hospitalizations and prescription drugs.
Obese women account for an extra $3,613 a year.
The researchers found even higher costs among the uninsured: annual medical spending for an obese person was $3,271 compared with $512 for the non-obese.

And since Marijuana smokers are generally skinnier than the average person, you should actually SUPPORT legalization because it'll bring down healthcare costs.

Additionally, A study from March 2012, published in the journal Phytomedicine, show that when obese rats are dosed with the active ingredient in marijuana, tetrahydrocannabinol they lose weight.

So again, the ignorance is on the anti-legalization side...the facts are with legalization. It's not about access, anyone who wants pot can get it with no trouble at all, regardless of legal status in their domicile, it's about the consequences of the prohibition itself.

time to get rid of cookies, soda, ice cream,and candy.. hell while were at it lets just ban sugar.. just jk of course..

Old 09-17-2014, 01:59 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

Believe me, I'd want nothing more than to be able to grow my own for my use, and to be done with it without the government getting involved. However; that isn't going to happen. Not to mention I'm sick of Americans being criminalized for consuming a plant. You sound like a friend of mine in my neighborhood. He claims he is a republican, and is quite the pot head. He said if it was legal he'd never touch it again, as he doesn't believe the government should tax it. He said this as he had a beer in one hand, and a Marlboro in another. I politely pointed it out, and said those items are taxed, and yet here you are.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:23 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
^^^^^
How nice finn you support a tyrant, who would even deny it for those who use it for medicinal purposes as a safer alternative! Color me suprised!

I suppose you would support the following story as well (and you can GOOGLE it because I'm not doing your job for you).... I saw this on our local news in the morning a week or so ago. An Iowa man with terminal cancer was facing life in prison for growing 71 cannabis plants. He was using the plants to extract the oil which is said to help with cancer. His son and wife were also facing prison time too for their involvement. Prior to the sentencing he was NOT allowed to reference his illness and use it as his defense. At any rate at his sentencing he told the judge why he was growing the plants, and said had he not done so to utilize the plants for the oil, he would have been dead already. The judge, instead gave he, his wife, and son probation, instead of prison sentences. He is appealing, and now due to his state's ridiculous law is being forced to looking at relocating to Oregon to obtain it legally! While I commend the judge for being lenient, and only slapping him with probation, I still find it ludicrous that it came to this guy potentially spending the rest of his life dying from a terminal illness because of our GOD DAMNED CANNABIS LAWS!!!!
This has happened to others, as well. Seems that a pattern is to not allow evidence to be presented.

RUN FROM THE CURE - The Rick Simpson Story - Full Length DVD HQ - YouTube

US~Observer - Medical Marijuana Prosecution"
quote:
Patricia has already informed us that Scoble told her to pack up her home and get ready to go to prison. According to Albright, she doesn’t have any defense because Federal Judge Garland E. Burrell Jr. has stated that he won’t allow a “medicinal marijuana†or “legal according to California State law†defense.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:04 PM

316 posts, read 437,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
All cannabis is not the same. It can be laced with things also, sounds like it was. There are many different cannabinoids, as well. Yes there is a difference in ingestion of various components and smoking.
Dude, I ate a whole bag. That was how it happened. That was like 20 years ago. I was 16 and stupid. I was about to get nailed with around a half oz in school, so I got rid of the evidence eating it. I'm sure it wasn't laced with anything. Just a regular ol' bag of mids down the hatch, stems, bud, shake, seeds & all.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:19 PM

451 posts, read 562,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HedgeYourInvestments View Post
The anti-legalization crowd has absolutely no information, logic or intelligence behind it. It's all "there was this one person who tried it and had a problem" nonsense... [.]

Advertising should not be directed at children, and frankly, there's no reason it should be publicly advertised at all...and I think that should be the case with alcohol and tobacco as well as candy and unhealthy food.

You're basically saying that you think it's totally fine that there are literally DOZENS OF ALCOHOL ADS DURING THE SUPER BOWL but that Marijuana ads are the end of the world. I can't drive 1 mile on the freeway without seeing some kind of alcohol advertisement, and alcohol leads to far more problems than marijuana ever could.

Basically, what I am saying is that the really minor issues you stated (which aren't really even issues...those guys probably would be dumb lazy stoners even with illegal pot, I know plenty of those already) are nothing in comparison to the catastrophic problems the prohibition has caused. Thousands of murders, billions of dollars, millions of prisoners, and countless lives ruined by the prosecution process. These are the real costs of prohibition. Meanwhile, you can go to any college in the country and find the nearest hippie playing hacky sack or strumming an acoustic guitar and have a joint in your hand in less than an hour. Clearly prohibition has failed miserably.
This.
I agree that weed probably shouldn't be advertised on television, but neither should alcohol or medications.

To continue to classify weed as a harmful substance (DEA) is disingenuous. And to make it illegal is wrong. Our country touts one of the highest incarceration rates in the world and it should be shameful to have any person serving time prison due smoking weed.

People's arguments against legalization are largely dependant on illogical and archaic reasons. Most of their arguments depend on personal specific observations and presumptions that are supported by preconceived, and programmed, stereotypes of worst case scenarios. They want to believe that our country is going to turn into a lazy nation of lazy stoners. This is all bull****.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:21 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,450,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
a large portion of cigarettes sold in new York are from the black now, and what about all the counterfeit merchandise sold around the world from cd's watches, guitars, clothing, jewelry etc.. the list is endless...
I am not surprised. The vast majority of the black market money on cigarettes that Hamas made came from the east coast. Asia is rife with counterfeiters of all kinds. This is the consequence of enacting laws. There will always be someone willing to violate the law. Which means that more money will have to be spent on law enforcement if any new marijuana law is enacted, and more people will end up in prison.

Quote:
its all about price not whether something is legal or not.. if the price of a particular product is to high the black market will step in. period...
Incorrect. Black markets exist only to sell illegal goods. It is illegal to sell cigarettes without a federal and State tax stamp (unless you are on an Indian reservation). It is illegal to sell counterfeit goods. It is illegal to violate copyright laws. Depending on the item, you could pay a great deal more for it at a black market than it would otherwise cost, particularly if you cannot obtain the item legally. For example, a convicted felon may end up paying more for a firearm at a black market than it would normally cost someone not convicted of a felony to purchase the same firearm legally.

If it is not illegal, then there would be no need for black markets.

Quote:
I bought a pair of levis jeans that looked real in every way, but when I went to use them a year later they were falling a part, I mean totally disintegrating!! and I never wore them not once ,they were from a black market. actually its a good thing I didn't wear them? who the hell knows what kind of toxic chemicals were used in the making of those jeans..

its all about price..
Caveat emptor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies