Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,229,409 times

Advertisements

I'd prefer that the feds repeal the NFL's exemption from the anti-trust law.

Old 09-15-2014, 11:40 PM

24,372 posts, read 22,982,365 times
Can't we tax the government?

Old 09-15-2014, 11:45 PM

3,353 posts, read 6,651,860 times
^ Yes, if anything, the NFL should lose its antitrust exemption. But just because it's bad law, not as a way to punish the league over its players' latest transgressions.

On the bright side, the antitrust exemption generally applies only to the league's ability to negotiate its TV contracts. But if they ever won any more exemptions in court or from Congress, they could start doing things like lowballing salaries, fixing prices on merchandise, and restricting player movement. The NFL spends a lot of money lobbying ... I wouldn't put it past them to push for more exemptions, especially after showing how willing they were to lock out the players, and then the game officials.

Last edited by Adrian71; 09-16-2014 at 12:00 AM..

Old 09-15-2014, 11:46 PM

2,010 posts, read 3,452,181 times
You are conflating the for-profit elements of professional football and the tax-exempt entity called the "National Football League". The players, team management and owners are not employees of the 501(c)(6)National Football League.

The 501(c)(6) does not have billions in revenues. The teams have billions in revenues and "NFL Ventures" and its for profit subsidiaries have billions in revenues. The 501(c)(6) frequently operates with net losses and would likely not have a tax burden even if it were not tax exempt.

You don't appear to have an understanding of what a 501(c)(6) is, and how it would differ in intent and purpose from a 501(c)(3). The purpose of a 501(c)(6) is not to promote the public good, it is to promote and further the industry or profession it represents.

You also appear to be under the impression that a tax exempt entity would somehow shield "everyone who participates makes tons of money"; it doesn't obviate individuals paid by the tax exempt entity from their tax liabilities. It doesn't obviate any for-profit organizations from being taxed on any pass-throughs or disbursements from the non-profit.

I read your article, by an adjunct professor of communications. Your quote is from a law student (whose paper is a tongue-in-cheek advocacy piece with Dave Barry quotes)

Here's an article by a CPA.

NFL As Tax Exempt Less Than Meets The Eye? - Forbes

Last edited by KStreetQB; 09-15-2014 at 11:54 PM..

Old 09-16-2014, 07:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,941,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
^ Yes, if anything, the NFL should lose its antitrust exemption. But just because it's bad law, not as a way to punish the league over its players' latest transgressions.

On the bright side, the antitrust exemption generally applies only to the league's ability to negotiate its TV contracts. But if they ever won any more exemptions in court or from Congress, they could start doing things like lowballing salaries, fixing prices on merchandise, and restricting player movement. The NFL spends a lot of money lobbying ... I wouldn't put it past them to push for more exemptions, especially after showing how willing they were to lock out the players, and then the game officials.
You're right except when it comes to the Seattle Seagulls (err, Seahawks). They should lose all exemptions!
Go Green Bay!

Old 09-16-2014, 09:18 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,186,837 times
"As far as the NFL’s “net earnings,” the nonprofit was actually in the red in 2009, according to its latest available return."

Looks like a non-issue to me. It's a dumb article, poorly written and fails to make its point. It wouldn't make much difference whether it's run as a non profit or not. It's not making money.

Whether it's run as a for-profit or non-profit organization, salaries paid out are an expense and those earning the salaries pay taxes on them. Non-profits pay employment taxes just like any other employer. There's simply no good argument for changing the tax status of the NFL, none that I can see.

Despite how other professional athletic leagues are set up, the NFL is apparently not designed to earn a profit and doesn't. It does not pay any income tax, but it wouldn't pay any regardless of its status if it doesn't earn a profit. Likewise, franchises who pay the NFL a fee and deduct that fee as a donation would still be able to deduct it if it was paid to a for-profit NFL office.

Drop it. This is just silly.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:29 AM

45,400 posts, read 26,983,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
"As far as the NFL’s “net earnings,” the nonprofit was actually in the red in 2009, according to its latest available return."

Looks like a non-issue to me. It's a dumb article, poorly written and fails to make its point. It wouldn't make much difference whether it's run as a non profit or not. It's not making money.

Whether it's run as a for-profit or non-profit organization, salaries paid out are an expense and those earning the salaries pay taxes on them. Non-profits pay employment taxes just like any other employer. There's simply no good argument for changing the tax status of the NFL, none that I can see.

Despite how other professional athletic leagues are set up, the NFL is apparently not designed to earn a profit and doesn't. It does not pay any income tax, but it wouldn't pay any regardless of its status if it doesn't earn a profit. Likewise, franchises who pay the NFL a fee and deduct that fee as a donation would still be able to deduct it if it was paid to a for-profit NFL office.

Drop it. This is just silly.
You left out the reason they were in the red - because they paid their executives too much.

501c6 rules are for chambers of commerce, and trade groups that support a particular industry. That trade group is tax exempt, but the companies that support that trade group are not.

The NFL League in particular can be a 501c6. The 32 teams that support the NFL League should not be tax exempt.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:10 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,186,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You left out the reason they were in the red - because they paid their executives too much.
YOU say they paid their executives too much. So? What if they did, and why would it be different without the tax-exempt status? The executives are responsible for paying their own income tax.

Quote:
501c6 rules are for chambers of commerce, and trade groups that support a particular industry. That trade group is tax exempt, but the companies that support that trade group are not.

The NFL League in particular can be a 501c6. The 32 teams that support the NFL League should not be tax exempt.
We agree. The 32 teams ARE NOT tax exempt!

This is why this "issue" is silly. The writer is probably reading all the enthusiasm he's whipped up and laughing his butt off.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:21 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,330,602 times
Quote:
The writer is probably reading all the enthusiasm he's whipped up and laughing his butt off.
I think the OP is a "she" and she's been parroting liberal media and NOW's position on how evil the NFL is despite the hundreds of player foundations, all the team provide to the underprivileged, and 98% of players are decent, hard working citizens.

My favorite team, the Bucs has sponsored 21 local schools providing educational assistance to 11,000 kids. I sit near hundreds of kids who come free to the games from local YMCAs - they're given food vouchers, hats, flags - something their parents never would be able to afford to provide to these kids. The team in Tampa provides jobs at the stadium for hundreds if not thousands of people who otherwise wouldn't be able to find jobs. The economic benefits to our city/region by having a football team means millions in tourism dollars for our population along with the jobs that the tourists bring.

I see the petition is making headway - only 99,997 signatures short of the 100,000 needed.

Old 09-16-2014, 10:25 AM

45,400 posts, read 26,983,057 times
Quote:
YOU say they paid their executives too much. So? What if they did, and why would it be different without the tax-exempt status? The executives are responsible for paying their income tax.
Actually the article said that.

Quote:
We agree. The 32 teams ARE NOT tax exempt!

This is why this "issue" is silly. The writer is probably reading all the enthusiasm he's whipped up and laughing his butt off.
If that is the case - technically I can understand it. Goodell making $9mil... still got a problem with that.

Personally, I favor everyone over 20 paying an equal amount and removing behavioral considerations from the tax code.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.