Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 11:16 AM

825 posts, read 1,033,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Actually they do not, it is just explained differently. Big bang - Let there be lightis one example. The formation of the Black Sea and the Flood is another. Adam and Eve and the genetic studies that bring it back to one woman and possibly one or two men. There stories were there to explain something beyond the understanding of men at the time but when one truely looks at them you see many similarities. I get it you have no beliefs, not a problem for me that you don't but it does seem to be a problem for you that I do, why is that?
Doesn't bother me in the least what you believe. But I dislike bad science.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:18 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,046,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dba07 View Post
I would say that beliefs that contradict every bit of scientific evidence is a far better example of confusion.
You're wrong. You might want to investigate. Reasons.org is a good place to start.

Old 09-20-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
You're wrong. You might want to investigate. Reasons.org is a good place to start.
I don't see anything peer reviewed there. I simply see no empirical evidence supporting the existence of a creator like that worshipped in the abramaic religions.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:50 PM

37,150 posts, read 19,160,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I guess when you die and leave the earth, you will find out.

You are incorrect in your presumptions.
Make that "we" instead of "you". You, he, I, and everyone else are completely ignorant of what happens after death. People who follow religions all have their own guesses, but not a one has ever come back to talk about it.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:17 PM

The thing that really bothers me is that innocent children are indoctrinated into religion before their cognitive defense mechanisms are developed. That's the only way you could convince otherwise rational people that an infallible entity created a possibly infinite multiverse just for us. And because we were fallible, we sinned and angered this god. To cleanse us of this sin, he sent his son born of a virgin to die for our sins. You would have to be essentially brainwashed to believe this story.

Another very dangerous thing is that religion advises people not to think for themselves. "Put your life in jesus' hands...don't ask questions". After all, original sin was due to eating from the tree of knowledge. Religion keeps people ignorant on purpose.

Believe what you want, but religion consistently holds humanity back scientifically, technologically, and morally.

Old 09-20-2014, 02:19 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,452,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Actually they do not, it is just explained differently. Big bang - Let there be lightis one example. The formation of the Black Sea and the Flood is another. Adam and Eve and the genetic studies that bring it back to one woman and possibly one or two men. There stories were there to explain something beyond the understanding of men at the time but when one truely looks at them you see many similarities.
This is really quashing a robust body of very intensive and advanced bodies of science and rigorous empiricism carried out over decades (some for centuries) to make a comparison with just a few vague lines in a 2000 year old book.

These are just a few highlights:

After the Big Bang there was no light for some 350,000 - 400,000 years because it was too hot for light to shine. That's the longest time delay on a light switch... probably ever.

The formation of the Black Sea and the Flood is still a localized event. Though it may have been caused by certain global forces such as glacial melt, there is a lot of debate as to the intensity and/or magnitude by which the Black Sea flooded. Furthermore, there's still the problem of it being a "global flood" in which all land masses were covered up and there's no indication that rain for 40 days and nights caused it. More likely, as one would expect, this was a myth handed down verbally for many centuries in which the "entire world" was thought to be that of the immediate area in and around the Black Sea. For the real Biblical literalist, it still brings forth the problem of how all the Koala Bears made it to the Middle East and were then returned to Australia after the flood.

The Y-Chromosome Adam and the Mitochondrial Eve are not a couple and most likely lived thousands if not tens of thousands of years apart from one another. Even if we were to somehow sloppily ignore ALL of the rigor behind this to fit it into a silly "See the Bible mentions Adam and Eve!" then there's still the problem of talking snakes, gardens of Eden, and so on and so forth.

My basic point here is that there is a HUGE difference between the actual science and the Bible. Merely stating that they're "just explained differently" is like taking all of the rigor and science behind a modern jumbo jet aircraft, all of its engineering, schematics, diagrams, layouts, aerodynamics, etc... and pointing at it and saying "Metal Flying Bird." Sure you could explain it that way but only so the dumbest, profoundly least common denominator has some sort of tangible connection to it - and even then it's only a metaphor, a collateral effect of human language, which does no actual describing of it at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies