Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2014, 08:01 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Apparently you have not been around anyone that has some money.

I've asked before... but it bears repeating... Since when is it illegal to carry a large amount of cash? Furthermore, it seems a growing faction of Americans seem to be of the school of thought of "guilty before innocent." Hello, due process anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 08:26 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
What kind of supplies you buy with cash nowadays? Drugs? Lol. C'mon, do you guys believe that we were all born yesterday? Lol
Its that kind of attitude that enables the police to take such actions and get away with it. That particular incident was in the 1990s. The point is the police did not have to provide any evidence that the person was engaged in any illegal activities, they just needed to claim he was to justify the forfeiture.

Here is another more recent similar case.

The Forfeiture Racket - Reason.com

On February 4, 2009, Anthony Smelley got his first hearing before an Indiana judge. Smelley’s attorney, David Kenninger, filed a motion asking for summary judgment against the county, citing a letter from a Detroit law firm stating that the seized money indeed came from an accident settlement, not a drug transaction. Kenninger also argued that because there were no drugs in Smelley’s car, the state had failed to show the required “nexus” between the cash and illegal activity. Putnam County Circuit Court Judge Matthew Headley seemed to agree, hitting Christopher Gambill, who represented Putnam County, with some tough questions. That’s when Gambill made an argument that was remarkable even for a forfeiture case.

“You have not alleged that this person was dealing in drugs, right?” Judge Headley said.

“No,” Gambill responded. “We alleged this money was being transported for the purpose of being used to be involved in a drug transaction.”

Incredibly, Gambill was arguing that the county could seize Smelley’s money for a crime that hadn’t yet been committed. Asked in a phone interview to clarify, Gambill stands by the general principle. “I can’t respond specifically to that case,” he says, “but yes, under the state forfeiture statute, we can seize money if we can show that it was intended for use in a drug transaction at a later date.”

Old 09-16-2014, 08:27 AM

1,259 posts, read 828,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Apparently you have not been around anyone that has some money.
I have but none of them ever complained of cops taking any of it lol

Old 09-16-2014, 08:31 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by random_thoughts View Post
And cops never took a dine from you, have they?

A hunch is usually an informant whose identity you cops don't want to give up

That's the thing, I wasn't so I don't buy into "I had 17 grand in my car and cops just took it" stories... Lol

No sympathy for drug dealers here.
The informant in the case I just wrote about was the airline ticket agent who flagged the police when she noticed the large amount of cash the person was carrying. The police were never forced to produce any evidence that the individual was involved in the drug trade.

Old 09-16-2014, 09:00 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,231,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I've asked before... but it bears repeating... Since when is it illegal to carry a large amount of cash? Furthermore, it seems a growing faction of Americans seem to be of the school of thought of "guilty before innocent." Hello, due process anyone?
Hey! I am agreeing with you. I have carried some large amounts of cash before and all the reasons were totally legal.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:19 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,638,621 times
I tricked the bass tards but didn't know it until the encounter was over.

I generally like to vacation in S. America and last time I went took $ 5,000 in cash. Reason is simple the fees you can rack up at the ATM added in with exchange rate can be close to 10%.

Had no problem leaving the country. When I returned to Miami airport went threw screening by putting everything in the tote and on the conveyor for xray no problem. After I got my shoes, belt back on and put my wallet in my pocket. TSA officer ask me to step over to an isolated area and ask for my wallet which I gave him. He looked through my wallet and then looked at me and opened up the wallet where bills would be kept again rubbing his fingers back and forth glancing at me and lingering in my wallet. I recognized it for what it was. A clear attempt to intimidate me and show me his power. I was coming back from vacation, hell I was broke, no money for them to steal. Had not one dollar on me.
My next trip will have a note in the area for bills and it will say F***you.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:47 AM

58,958 posts, read 27,261,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
In the past 2 years we have multiple Police corruption protests, a rogue cop who turned against his own department because of corruption, and riots and mass protests because of Police corruption and excessive force.

We have the highest incarceration rates in the world. The highest prisoners per capita. Bogus laws on the books making more and more Americans criminals (well, at least the poor ones).

I could go on.
"I could go on" Please do. You haven't explained anything. Out of the hundreds of thousands of police officers in the U.S., of course there are going to be bad apples.

What do you expect , utopia?

While you are searching for "bad cop" stories, why not spend the SAME amount of time searching for "good cop" stories? Are you afraid to find out that are MORE good cops the bad cops.

"We have the highest incarceration rates in the world. The highest prisoners per capita." And why in the world would you blame the cops for that?

Did you ever think that maybe we have more incarcerated is because our lenient justice system doesn't punish as harsh as other countries? If the punishment was more harsh here, many wouldn't do the crimes.

Don't you know how our justice system works?

By posting this, you only show how far off you are.

"Bogus laws on the books" Gee I didn't know the cops made the laws.

Like I said, I think you had a bad run in with a cop and now you carry a chip on your shoulder for ALL cops.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Please tell us what happened to you to make you defend bad cops so much.
You misunderstand my position. I am ALL FOR punishing "bad cops".

I see the same posters over and over ONLY posting stories about "bad cops" and have NOTHING EVER good to say about the vast majority of cops.

The seem to have an agenda and a big chip on their shoulders.

It is my guess that they had a bad run in one time in their lives and now are out to put ALL cops in the same barrel.

Old 09-17-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
Use of the Civil Forfeiture statutes unfortunately has become a very common practice and is not limited to a "few bad apples."
Did the "cops" make the law? No, So why blame them?

Old 09-17-2014, 07:03 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,055 times
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

Same for the LEO. To enforce an immoral law is to act as immorally as any criminal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies