Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:02 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I went to Wal-Mart and Hardees this morning. I tried to get some deli meat at Wally World, and the clerk was very surly. Only one line was open, backed up with customers, and the cashier there was also very unfriendly. The Hardees was unclean and I ordered a chicken biscuit, and ended up with sausage. If these people can't do better than this, why do they deserve a raise?
So, what's your freakin point????? Some of the very highest paid professionals that I'm forced to deal with are total incompetents. A Dr. making over $400,000 per year that is surly and uninterested. A lawyer who charges $500 per hour who is useless and totally arrogant. Their is no monopoly on poor performances from any and all workers. One observation though. It seems obvious that there is an inverse square law at work here. The less a person gets paid the harder they have to work. If you are paid half as much as someone else you have to work 4 times harder and are still disrespected at every turn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 12:03 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
Conservatives are a funny lot. They don't want the lower-end workers to make more but love to rail about how the poor are slipping farther behind in the age of Obama.
Disingenuous. None of us conservatives have even remotely asserted that we don't want low-wage workers to make more. What we have said is that low-wage workers don't deserve $15/hour "just because." Merely being on the payroll is not sufficient to get a 100% increase in pay. Upward mobility due to ambition, determination, and luck are all factors in making more money. Simply clocking in represents none of these.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:06 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
whatever they are paid, they deserve, since they voluntarily accept the wage they are paid in return for whatever they do. The cashier deserves the pay they get because they were there, at the register, of their own volition working for whatever pay they receive. Working well? Maybe not so much, but they were there and voluntarily so.

So they deserve whatever the wage they accept for doing the work they agree to do. If they cannot live on that, they should seek work that is valued higher by other employers or markets.

That said, in my day to day life, I can spot the people who are perma-low wage folks, and in 100% of the cases, they are right at where they should be given their skill sets, attitudes and input effort.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:08 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathy4017 View Post
What does the fact that she couldn't do standard measures have to do with my taking my purchase home and eating it?

Geeez.
Usually people who believe they are receiving subpar service take their business elsewhere. They also see a fault in dynamic A and conclude dynamics B, C, etc may also be suspect in the overall performance of a company.

You had a subpar interaction but still bought the turkey. That makes you a subpar consumer.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:13 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
Stop feeling sorry for these low end workers. They don't deserve your sympathy...and few even deserve minimum wage.
I am not feeling sorry for anyone. I the truth to be told and i want the guys like us to quit being bled by corporate interests. BAD MOUTHING AND TREATING PEOPLE SECOND CLASS IS NOT THE WAY I WAS TAUGHT!

What is your background like?

Old 09-17-2014, 12:17 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Disingenuous. None of us conservatives have even remotely asserted that we don't want low-wage workers to make more. What we have said is that low-wage workers don't deserve $15/hour "just because." Merely being on the payroll is not sufficient to get a 100% increase in pay. Upward mobility due to ambition, determination, and luck are all factors in making more money. Simply clocking in represents none of these.
Oh, for crying out loud. If you raised the federal minimum wage by a penny, some conservatives would pitch a fit.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
The number of younger associates who would complain about being 'stuck' in their job always surprised me. Complaining about wanting to go to college, wanting a different career but staying in their easy low paying jobs instead of looking for avenues to persue their chosen paths seemed to be an easy out.
I let rip on a couple of the younger guys, told them that the only person that can make a change was themselves. Both left their jobs and went on to train for their chosen professions, one as a nurse another in computers. Both thanked me for being mean and basically telling them to man up.

I also have to add, I just posted about my experience working in retail and gaining a management position, I did this at 46 years old so any excuse about being too old to me are invalid.

Around my area 46 yrs of age can be considered too old. My brother-in-law(age 46) worked at a place for more than 4 yrs and within 3 weeks of a new manager he was laid off. They didn't tell him but they told other workers that they needed people younger than him. Also he was making more money than any of the others.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:18 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Who anointed you grand determiner of wages?

Minimum wage is unlivable, period.
And what determined that the government, unable to run anything efficiently or cost-effectively should be the arbiter of what wages should be for anything other than a government job? Wages should be between the employer and the employee.

If MW is unlivable, that should encourage people to seek to rise above it by bettering their marketable skills rather than 1) resigning themselves to a life of minimum wage, or 2) whining.

Effort creates opportunity.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
And what determined that the government, unable to run anything efficiently or cost-effectively should be the arbiter of what wages should be for anything other than a government job? Wages should be between the employer and the employee.

If MW is unlivable, that should encourage people to seek to rise above it by bettering their marketable skills rather than 1) resigning themselves to a life of minimum wage, or 2) whining.

Effort creates opportunity.
It depends on the area and the economy of the area you live in.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:25 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,578,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
whatever they are paid, they deserve, since they voluntarily accept the wage they are paid in return for whatever they do. The cashier deserves the pay they get because they were there, at the register, of their own volition working for whatever pay they receive. Working well? Maybe not so much, but they were there and voluntarily so.

So they deserve whatever the wage they accept for doing the work they agree to do. If they cannot live on that, they should seek work that is valued higher by other employers or markets.

That said, in my day to day life, I can spot the people who are perma-low wage folks, and in 100% of the cases, they are right at where they should be given their skill sets, attitudes and input effort.
What you say is true in a feudal system. You have the Lords and you have the serfs. Outside of this very limited and obscene application what you are saying is complete nonsense. Your attitude is what caused most of the revolutions in the world and is directly responsible for hundreds of millions of deaths. The pre revolutionary rulers of both China and Russia thought the exact same as you. Do you see where it got them and their countries? It got them dead and it get their countries totalitarian communist dictatorships.

Because of the unwillingness of the owners to pay livable wages, revolutions happened. Now, those revolutions were extreme because the owners only understood extreme measures. In so many cases the owners were able to finance counter revolutions and "Volia"!!!! We than had the wonderful experience of the Nazis, Fascists and all the other brutal right wing regimes we have seen in the last 100 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies