Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 11:38 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Just a thought and wondering if this could be the reason. No matter who you are and who you work for there are times you won't agree with your employer.

A white does something wrong, gets called on the carpet, the employee must make the appropriate changes.
A black does the same wrong, gets called on the carpet and the black screams racism.

If you are an employer would you be very, very careful before hiring? Sure, they will hire blacks but the more blacks they hire the more they risk screams of racism anytime they have to take corrective action for an employees wrongdoing.
Do you honestly think Black people say everything is racist ???

also, how can you be wondering if this could be the reason. someone already gave the perfect answer to this

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Once a black student is admitted, there is no such thing as Affirmative Action grading.

So what low standards are you talking about. They're earning the same degree as their white counterpart in the same field.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:50 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Nope. My point is you are making excuse after excuse for your racial bias.

See below.
You're not making any sense. We can both agree that racial bias exists, and it is unacceptable. But the hand you are dealt with in American culture is what it is. Parents can choose to go with the grain or choose to a name that doesn't benefit their child in their path to success. The choice is theirs, and no one is robbing them of that choice. But pragmatism about the reality on the ground should not be given short shrift.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:53 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
It's unacceptable that he came to this country with nothing in hopes for a better life? And wanted to be an American, LIVE as an American so badly that he did whatever he could to become part of it? Changing his name, learning the language, fighting for HIS country in WWII?

That's not unacceptable. That's admirable.
No I said the name changing part is unacceptable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I have people named Charles in my family, too. But they're not "assimilated" because their face still says "other" to too many people - even though we've been here 400 years. As soon as "Casimir" changed his name, he was OK because he was white.
Bingo. Blacks have been robbed of African names for 400 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
How can you sue Your job a job for having a dress code that you knew about before you accepted the job ?
Because their dress code is a direct violation of the 1st Amendment. It would exclude all Muslim men from applying. It is one thing to not hire a person who happend to be Muslim because they didn't meet the job qualifications. Excluding all Muslim men from the pool on the basis of dress code is a clear discrimination.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckity View Post
This name thing drives me bonkers.

It would be really nice if "you can't judge a book by it's cover" wasn't accurate, but it is.

We intentionally didn't give our kids "nicknames" for full names. Like Jenny instead of Jennifer for example. We also didn't give them stripper names like Brandi Lynn. Or Beverly Hillbillies names like Jethro.

We thought ahead when we named them - and gave them full length traditional names that would cause them no grief in the future, or cause them problems being taken seriously.

I don't know why that's so hard to understand.
Preach it Brother Chuck! This is the right mentality to have. Many parents in America, of all races, simply do not get it.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
It is less of an issue with Black "culture" because blacks have held traditional / slave names for hundreds of years.

My issue comes when we talk about other cultures "assimilating" into American culture. What do we do about Muhammad, Carlos, Juan, and Pooya? Are they supposed to name their children John and Mary?

People need to stop making excuses for racial / cultural bias. This is a big determinant in who gets hired and who doesn't.
Asians do it all the time. Asians are pretty smart people for doing so. They get it. They know what it means to excel in America...which is making the decision to Americanize their Asian name.

If you didn't already know that, then I'd reconcile that you're really not observant enough to reliably participate in this discussion.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondu54 View Post
When Jose was hired as Joe, he was the same person with the same resume.

What it smacks of is "white privilege." Where most of the people in positions of hiring are white, they want the familiar instead of judging a person by credentials. What is wrong with a Hispanic name like Jose or Juan? What is wrong with Black cultural names?
Nothing is wrong with either of those names. However, there are rules of the road in society, unfortunately. Either the rules of the road are followed to some degree, or there are potential downsides that may come with not playing along.

I'm not saying it's right. I'm saying it is what it is. Play along, perhaps, or suffer the downside. What will make you feel better? A decidedly-ethnic name that could hobble your children, or a name that may well pave the path to smoother success?

The choice is still yours, as a parent, to make. No one is taking that away from you.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,553 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:

Because their dress code is a direct violation of the 1st Amendment. It would exclude all Muslim men from applying. It is one thing to not hire a person who happend to be Muslim because they didn't meet the job qualifications. Excluding all Muslim men from the pool on the basis of dress code is a clear discrimination.

That is not a violation of the first Amendment, because the dress code is not meant to disenfranchise muslim men. In fact, it would affect men of all Major Abrahamic religions including certain Christians and Orthodox Jews.

They can sue UPS all they want, but they should lose every single one of those cases.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:02 PM

Quote:
That's unacceptable, sorry.

America has no national language, culture, religion, nothing. We will evolve into a less primative society when the old boy network dies of.

Buckle up for more lawsuits. This reminds me of how UPS gets sued for trying to make Muslim-Americans shave their beards. Old boy standards will die eventually.
Name discrimination is 100% not provable.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Umm, are you saying that if the interviewer or recruiter knew they were black before hand they wouldnt have even called them ?

The bold is your words, not mine.
That's not what I said at all. I asked a question of the poster I quoted. Do not try to misconstrue my words to fit your failed assertions.

Old 09-18-2014, 12:05 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,405,433 times
Quote:
That is not a violation of the first Amendment, because the dress code is not meant to disenfranchise muslim men. In fact, it would affect men of all Major Abrahamic religions including certain Christians and Orthodox Jews.

They can sue UPS all they want, but they should lose every single one of those cases.
Actually UPS lost and it is a direct violation of the 1st Amendment. If I'm a traditional Muslim that wears a beard, I cannot work at UPS without violating my religious faith. That is textbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Name discrimination is 100% not provable.
We'll see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies