Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 12:28 AM

7,528 posts, read 11,363,895 times

Advertisements

Some realities of being a Black college graduate.

Quote:
Cottom said that it’s widely known that blacks have a higher level of unemployment than the national rate but that this report is different because it dispels the notion that education shortcomings are keeping black Americans from upward mobility.

“The first thing people say is ‘Oh, well, black people don’t go to school’ or we don’t major in the right fields,” she said. “This report says it doesn’t matter if we go into engineering or the sciences … The report shows that race matters.”

Study: Black college grads have double the unemployment rate | Al Jazeera America

Old 09-18-2014, 07:33 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,388,492 times
It's impossible to dispute that black college grads are hired less often than white college grads. The stats don't lie. The question is why. I wonder if low standards for black students due to affirmative action college admissions stigmatize all black college graduates as being unqualified. The black students that "earned" their admission can't be distinguished from those that were allowed into school because they are black.

Exhibit A Latest ACT test results reveal huge race gap as only 1 in 20 African Americans students ‘fully ready’ for college | New York Post

"Just a quarter of this year’s high school graduates who took the ACT tests have the reading, math, English and science skills they need to succeed in college or a career, according to data the testing company released Wednesday.

The numbers are even worse for black high school graduates: Only 5 percent are fully ready for life after high school."

Last edited by texan2yankee; 09-18-2014 at 07:41 AM..

Old 09-18-2014, 07:42 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
It's impossible to dispute that black college grads are hired less often than white college grads. The stats don't lie. The question is why. I wonder if low standards for black students due to affirmative action college admissions stigmatize all black college graduates as being unqualified.

Exhibit A Latest ACT test results reveal huge race gap as only 1 in 20 African Americans students ‘fully ready’ for college | New York Post

"Just a quarter of this year’s high school graduates who took the ACT tests have the reading, math, English and science skills they need to succeed in college or a career, according to data the testing company released Wednesday.

The numbers are even worse for black high school graduates: Only 5 percent are fully ready for life after high school."
Once a black student is admitted, there is no such thing as Affirmative Action grading.

So what low standards are you talking about. They're earning the same degree as their white counterpart in the same field.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:52 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,399,972 times
I'm actually interested in the guy they profiled for the article... Emmy award winning and an Ivy Leaguer? And unemployed?

Something is amiss, and I'm not sure it's the color of his skin.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:55 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,572,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Once a black student is admitted, there is no such thing as Affirmative Action grading.

So what low standards are you talking about. They're earning the same degree as their white counterpart in the same field.
I think the problem is contacts in the business field. I know the job market is extremely hard for all graduates, but if a white student graduates and has a parent or aunt or uncle in the oil industry that can help get their foot in the door it's all the better. These days it's almost impossible to get someone to look at your resume unless you know someone at the company to pass it along to HR. Otherwise, it just posts online and goes into the ether.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:10 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,934,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Haha, exactly. Just getting admitted into College doesn't qualify anybody for anything; you don't just twiddle your thumbs after receiving your acceptance letter and then graduate a few years later.

These are College Graduates that put in the time and effort.

Old 09-18-2014, 08:43 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,648,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
It's impossible to dispute that black college grads are hired less often than white college grads. The stats don't lie. The question is why. I wonder if low standards for black students due to affirmative action college admissions stigmatize all black college graduates as being unqualified. The black students that "earned" their admission can't be distinguished from those that were allowed into school because they are black.

Do you really believe that all white students "earned" their admissions into college? Or that most black students did not?

Old 09-18-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I'm actually interested in the guy they profiled for the article... Emmy award winning and an Ivy Leaguer? And unemployed?

Something is amiss, and I'm not sure it's the color of his skin.
I have an Ivy undergrad degree and for most of the stretch between 2000-2010 I was unemployed or underemployed. I also noticed that when I looked at what our alumni were doing in terms of employment, the black males had the worst of it.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:08 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
A good start to life would be to not name your child something the HR recruiter cannot pronounce. Numerous studies have shown that the harder the name to pronounce and spell, the less likely a recruiter will call the person for an interview. Why? Human nature...people don't like to get things wrong...and a name is one of things no one likes to get wrong, especially when first impressions matter.

For many black parents, they just don't understand this concept. Jennifer will get called before Sha'quaninika will. That's the plain reality of it all in American culture. So black people....do right by your kids. Do not hobble them with stupid names no one can pronounce or spell.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A good start to life would be to not name your child something the HR recruiter cannot pronounce. Numerous studies have shown that the harder the name to pronounce and spell, the less likely a recruiter will call the person for an interview. Why? Human nature...people don't like to get things wrong...and a name is one of things no one likes to get wrong, especially when first impressions matter.

For many black parents, they just don't understand this concept. Jennifer will get called before Sha'quaninika will. That's the plain reality of it all in American culture. So black people....do right by your kids. Do not hobble them with stupid names no one can pronounce or spell.
And then when Jennifer shows up at the interview..............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies