Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 09:32 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,429,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
While I agree with you it doesn't answer the question WHY those who are so opposed to government doing anything for America are so agreeable to allegedly helping other countries?
One word...fear.

Those ISIS boogiemen will land on our shores and behead our kids if we don't go over there and stop them now.
Fear is the best type of propaganda there is.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:34 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,336,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
One word...fear.

Those ISIS boogiemen will land on our shores and behead our kids if we don't go over there and stop them now.
Fear is the best type of propaganda there is.
Yeah, I guess it's been tough since the fall of the USSR to keep coming up with new boogiemen.

As far as I'm concerned, if the Sunnis and Shiites want to die over some asinine "My prophet's better than your prophet" BS, PLAY ON!

Of course I've heard in the past about the Vietnamese landing on our shores. It's true! In my neighborhood they're delivering take-out.

Old 09-18-2014, 09:52 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,258,197 times
Quote:
Besides ISIS we now have AQ fighting over there as another threat to the US.
This was said by Clapper who said they are over there training to take out US aviation efforts.
Better send a few thousand more "advisors" over there.

Intel chief: Al-Qaida cell in Syria poses threat
The first thing we have to remember is that Clapper testified before Congress that the Muslim Brotherhood was a "secular organization" .... he not really up to snuff on what's going on.

From your Link:
James Clapper on Thursday became the first U.S. intelligence official to use the name of the cell, the Khorasan Group. He spoke at an intelligence conference in Washington.

It took me less than a minute to find out what the "Khorasan Group" is and who they are affiliated with.
Khorasan pledge splits al-Qaeda - Al Akhbar - 4/23/14

Nine al-Qaeda emirs from Afghanistan, Turkmenistan, and Iran declared their allegiance to the new emir of the faithful, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi - the head of ISIS - in what is being termed as the "Khorasan pledge."

The 9 Emirs that broke from al-Qaeda and pledged their support to ISIS/ISIL/IS are the Khorasan Group. I don't doubt that they will target US Planes if they ever get the chance to do so - but they are not some "new AQ group" -- they are part of ISIS/ISIL/IS. New groups pop up almost daily OR they rename themselves as ISIS did. The Emirs and Sheiks are all doing a lot of ally and pushy-shovey to gain power and territory. Everyone wants a piece of the action.

You have to remember that ISIS is also "at war" with the Free Syrian Army - which should make everyone think a bit more. Bashar al-Assad has been stepping up his air campaign on FSA Rebel forces this week to try and knock out as many as possible in case Obama does allow flight into Syria to attack ISIS/ISIS. There are a lot of complications with the entire mess - our perceived support for Iran's allies is a big one. Iran and Assad don't want the USA to do anything is Syria - so far, Obama is giving in to their wishes. On the other hand - Iran does want the USA to be it's Air Campaign against ISIS/ISIL while their new Proxy President and Shia Militias fight ISIS/ISIL on the ground .... it's all in aid of the Shia Supremacy in Iraq, just as it's all about the Shia/Assad/Hezbollah supremacy in Syria.

Clapper is a fool - I'm not sure what the point of this "new threat" (which is not) is -- maybe they just want to get the conversation off of ISIS/ISIL by an attempt to create a new boogeyman.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:01 AM

553 posts, read 595,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
He doesn't need to ask a country permission to put our boots on their ground.

We have no right to come barging in to a country with a democratically elected government.

Where are you getting your facts? Let's see them.
When I was in Navy Boot Camp we recieved official instruction about the SEALs and were told they were active in every country in the world. I presume the same is true of the Green Berets, Rangers, Delta Force, ect. If you think friends don't spy on friends you have a most naive view of the world. There will always be that little something you want to make sure of. Of course, it can be most embarassing should you be caught, so you want your agents with the best training in infiltration and exfiltration who will not be detected.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:10 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,258,197 times
Quote:
I'm sure he'll find someone else to blame.

It certainly hasn't made headlines here that we trained and armed these ISIS extremists back in 2012 in secret training camps in Jordan. They were going to fight for us to take down Assad.

But now they've turned against us so we need to arm and train the next group of "moderate rebels" to fight for us.
I guess you are going to explain how "we" trained ISIS extremists in 2012 when ISIS did not even expand into Syria (where they now have their base of operation in Raqqa) until 2013.

Nobody is saying that whatever "training" we might have been doing in 2012 didn't have some folks that ended up leaving the "Syrian Rebels" and joining ISIS - many did that, and many more will unless we remove the reason they are joining ISIS and AQ's Nusrah.

There is NO credibility to claims that the USA was training Jihadists for ISIS. Expand your reading and give up the conspiracy gossips blogs. You used to make very decent posts, but this is tin foil hat stuff.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:39 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,696,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosie_hair View Post
McArthur wanted to use about 50 nukes on China to pacify the Chinese during the Korean war. Good thing we as a society recognize at generals aren't always right.
I would expect most generals to always side with sustaining/ rewarding the military complex lobby and in doing so exaggerate their own importance.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:47 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,247,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
Who do you trust the incompetent community organizer or the generals--I think it's a no brainer!

Can Obama Keep His Generals in Check in the War Against ISIS? - The Daily Beast
General Westmoreland kept the war in Vietnam going by lying about how the US was progressing. Generals like war--it's what they do.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:04 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,500,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I guess you are going to explain how "we" trained ISIS extremists in 2012 when ISIS did not even expand into Syria (where they now have their base of operation in Raqqa) until 2013.

Nobody is saying that whatever "training" we might have been doing in 2012 didn't have some folks that ended up leaving the "Syrian Rebels" and joining ISIS - many did that, and many more will unless we remove the reason they are joining ISIS and AQ's Nusrah.

There is NO credibility to claims that the USA was training Jihadists for ISIS. Expand your reading and give up the conspiracy gossips blogs. You used to make very decent posts, but this is tin foil hat stuff.
You know that today's ISIS or ISIL has gone through many different names. Whether we trained those groups specifically won't be known unless you have a Snowden-ish source.,

Old 09-18-2014, 11:34 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,954,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Barack is not qualified to override the military. What he knows about the military he saw on TV. Winning an election does not make one an expert on military affairs.
Too bad we didn't heed general Shinseki's advice back in 2003, eh?

Old 09-18-2014, 11:38 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,985,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Barack is not qualified to override the military. What he knows about the military he saw on TV. Winning an election does not make one an expert on military affairs.
And your qualifications?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.