Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2014, 02:43 PM

13,289 posts, read 7,840,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Just curious, now that you are grown up do you still eat them? Personally, I like both of those dishes, but then again I like most everything except Indian food, something about the spices and texture (everything is mush) that turns me off.
Spanikopita, any time I can get it!

Calf liver and onions, love it, but I can't find any grass fed livers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2014, 11:52 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,425,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What is healthy to a 4' 9 103lb female isn't necessarily healthy for a 6' 3 210lb male.

In other threads it's noted that he can bring food from home. That is exactly what more and more seem to be doing and the lunch programs are failing.
Yes, the same foods are healthy for both people.

If parents want their kids to eat crap, they can bring crap from home.

Old 10-10-2014, 12:02 AM

654 posts, read 1,248,922 times
It may have been mentioned here, too many pages to read at this juncture...

But, you people understand that while Obama is limiting children across the USA from meals, that her children in her school do not abide by the same guidelines..

Thats right, while you kids are forced to eat rabbit food, Obama's kids are eating New York steak dinners and hamburgers, enjoying fries....at their little school.

"Let them eat cake"

Last edited by forestgump99; 10-10-2014 at 12:37 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 01:10 AM

15,082 posts, read 14,290,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post

But, you people understand that while Obama is limiting children across the USA from meals, that her children in her school do not abide by the same guidelines..

Thats right, while you kids are forced to eat rabbit food, Obama's kids are eating New York steak dinners and hamburgers, enjoying fries....at their little school.

"Let them eat cake"
This is the menu at the Sidwell School.
I don't see steak, fries or burgers, but I do see a lot of what you call "rabbit food".

Let Them Eat Cake: The First Lady's "Improved" Public School Lunches vs. The Obama Girls' School Lunch Menu |
A lot of public school kids wouldn't eat that stuff. It's too "weird". Most kids wouldn't eat blueberry soup or arugula or garlic roasted zucchini or steamed greens.
If you don't like what your kids are being served, send them to school with a lunch. You can put all the crap in that you want.

Old 10-10-2014, 05:18 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,321,941 times
Something about school cafeterias is inherently unappetizing for children. I remember just looking at the serving line in school and feeling sick to my stomach. I don't think I ate more than one or two of the cafeteria lunches. I would bring a sack lunch from home, or go to McDonalds or Wendys.

First Lady Michelle needs to work on that problem and then get back to us. Maybe kids just have an innate fear of collectively-produced meals.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:33 AM

15,836 posts, read 21,369,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forestgump99 View Post

"Let them eat cake"
Obama's kids are at a private school with a nutritionist and chef(s). If you would like to send your child to school with such lunches or pay for them to enroll in a private school that offers meals to your liking, be my guest. No one is stopping you. If you expect a subsidized school lunch where even the "full cost" tops out at $3 to include steak, I'm not entirely sure what to say to you.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:56 AM

37,768 posts, read 40,902,683 times
Hopefully, the juniors and seniors in high school students will remember this in 2016 when they vote for the first time. Have you ever noticed that in the school lunch news stories they rarely interview any students? The lunch ladies weigh in, the administrators weigh in, the parents weigh in, the government weighs in...

"A new Harvard study of the program, WCPO Channel 9 reported, "shows that 60 percent of fresh vegetables and 40 percent of fresh fruit are being thrown away." "And a recent study released by the National School Nutrition Association found 81.2 percent of schools surveyed indicated an increase in the amount of food being thrown away by students since the new nutrition standards went into effect two years ago," the televised report continued."

Michelle Obama's School Lunch Program: $4 Million of Food Thrown in Trash Each Day

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/12/ma...tleground.html

Old 10-10-2014, 07:08 AM

15,836 posts, read 21,369,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Hopefully, the juniors and seniors in high school students will remember this in 2016 when they vote for the first time. Have you ever noticed that in the school lunch news stories they rarely interview any students? The lunch ladies weigh in, the administrators weigh in, the parents weigh in, the government weighs in...

"A new Harvard study of the program, WCPO Channel 9 reported, "shows that 60 percent of fresh vegetables and 40 percent of fresh fruit are being thrown away." "And a recent study released by the National School Nutrition Association found 81.2 percent of schools surveyed indicated an increase in the amount of food being thrown away by students since the new nutrition standards went into effect two years ago," the televised report continued."

Michelle Obama's School Lunch Program: $4 Million of Food Thrown in Trash Each Day

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/12/ma...tleground.html
You hope that students vote based on their school lunches? Am I really reading that correctly?

When the students pay taxes and pay for their lunch, then they can weigh in. Not sure why that's so puzzling. Do students also get to weigh in on their curriculum?

Old 10-10-2014, 07:11 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,375,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

When the students pay taxes and pay for their lunch, then they can weigh in. Not sure why that's so puzzling. Do students also get to weigh in on their curriculum?
I'm always puzzled by the mentality Republicans have adapted where they seem to feel students (children) should get to dictate what they eat for lunch. When I was a kid, we either ate what was put in front of us, or we went hungry. If we didn't like the food served in the cafeteria, we could bring a sack lunch from home.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:12 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,902,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Spanikopita, any time I can get it!

Calf liver and onions, love it, but I can't find any grass fed livers.
Try chicken livers, with lots of butter and onions, with Mac and Cheese alongside. I don't do it often but it is a great source of iron and other vitamins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies