Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 06:52 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Here kids, would you like some seasoned beet greens?

Yeah, that will go over well. Have you forgotten what it was like to be a child? Most kids hate vegetables, and if they aren't made to eat them, like at home, they aren't going to eat them. All this food being thrown away is money being thrown away. Adding a little butter and garlic isn't going to make them eat it more.

As for the fruit, I don't know if schools just hand it to the kids whole, or if they slice it up to make it easier and more fun to eat, but they could do something with fruit to entice the kids to eat it. If it's fun, they will.
Seasoned beet greens would have sounded DELICIOUS to me as a kid. Much better than the disgusting pizza, corn dogs, and a variation on carbs (i.e. country fried steak with mashed potatoes, rice, a biscuit, and gravy over it all as was served every Monday at my school) that was standard in my school.

I repeat, if your child won't eat fruits and veggies, blaming the school is deflection. That's your own fault. Sure, kids won't eat every vegetable - I still won't eat peas - but they should be exposed to them early and often. Too many kids are subsisting on chicken nuggets and chips. Sorry, but the school shouldn't have to serve unhealthy meals in order to fit lazy parenting. We have a serious obesity problem in this country and while fixing school lunches is only a bandaid approach, it's quite obvious that it is exposing these kids to food that their parents NEVER serve them at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 10:13 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
The point of the lunch program is that for many kids that will be the only healthy meal they eat all day which is a sad reflection on the eating habits of many Americans. Forty or fifty years ago most mothers were home cooking and families sat down together to a balanced meal.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:29 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,565 times
Big surprise. Two southern states where 90% of the population is overweight or obese. When you have an entire culture of kids that have been raised on chicken nuggets and french fries, you're fighting an uphill battle. I think Michelle had the right idea, but if parents aren't making healthy choices in the home, kids aren't going to go to school and decide they like broccoli and fruit.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:39 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Michelle's guidelines are going to result in fatter kids. Here's why:

My 9-year-old nephew comes home from school every day completely ravished. The combination of the calorie limits and types of foods they have to give kids is going into the trash as much as it is the kids stomachs. Any kids that aren't well-supervised (often kids more likely to be poorer) are going to get home hungry and gorge on whatever is convenient around their home, most likely stuff like chips, pop tarts, cookies, hot dogs, etc.

So rather than feeding our kids reasonable, satiating foods at school, we're sending them home hungry where they're going to fill up on whatever their parents buy.
And why isn't your nephew eating the school lunch. Oh boo hoo, he doesn't like it. So maybe his mom should pack it then. Schools are there to teach

Old 09-19-2014, 10:43 PM

894 posts, read 1,050,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
And why isn't your nephew eating the school lunch. Oh boo hoo, he doesn't like it. So maybe his mom should pack it then. Schools are there to teach
When I was growing up I either ate what my mother prepared or went to bed hungry. Needless to say I learned to like vegetables pretty damn quickly.

Old 09-19-2014, 10:51 PM

32,064 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFigureMeOut View Post
When I was growing up I either ate what my mother prepared or went to bed hungry. Needless to say I learned to like vegetables pretty damn quickly.
LOL so did I. I have no idea why there is so much emphasis on what schools serve for lunch. Why should they provide lunch at all, let the kids bring their own. The kids that can't afford to bring their own should be provided with it though.

Old 09-20-2014, 07:04 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Seasoned beet greens would have sounded DELICIOUS to me as a kid. Much better than the disgusting pizza, corn dogs, and a variation on carbs (i.e. country fried steak with mashed potatoes, rice, a biscuit, and gravy over it all as was served every Monday at my school) that was standard in my school.

I repeat, if your child won't eat fruits and veggies, blaming the school is deflection. That's your own fault. Sure, kids won't eat every vegetable - I still won't eat peas - but they should be exposed to them early and often. Too many kids are subsisting on chicken nuggets and chips. Sorry, but the school shouldn't have to serve unhealthy meals in order to fit lazy parenting. We have a serious obesity problem in this country and while fixing school lunches is only a bandaid approach, it's quite obvious that it is exposing these kids to food that their parents NEVER serve them at home.
What a load of crap that entire post was.

Old 09-21-2014, 03:14 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
What a load of crap that entire post was.
I threw out my school lunches with pizza and sloppy joes, but I don't see anyone crowing about that. If I had whined to my mom about my school lunch being inedible, she would have scoffed and told me not to throw out perfectly good food.

Load of crap? Did your parents run a restaurant? Because mine were quick to remind me that they didn't.

Old 09-21-2014, 04:31 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Never had a school lunch myself. My mother packed lunch every day for 12 years for 4 kids.
No lunch boxes either..we "brown bagged" it with $.25 to buy a drink.

Old 09-21-2014, 05:12 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Never had a school lunch myself. My mother packed lunch every day for 12 years for 4 kids.
No lunch boxes either..we "brown bagged" it with $.25 to buy a drink.
Some people would have paid extra for colored bags, had they been offered.

Polka dots, stars, rainbows, etc.

Brown baggers would have still remained in the lowest class.

A thermos of soup was considered high class when I schooled in the fifties, even if it were carried in a brown paper bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies