Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rauner or Quinn?
Rauner 76 57.14%
Quinn 57 42.86%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 10:31 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,250,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Spoken like someone who never put their life on the line in the military.
So, you are saying the only people in the world that see everything clearly are the ones that were in the military? Ot that by being in the military it qualifies you for clear vision of the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 10:31 AM

71 posts, read 105,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Unfortunately his fiscal agenda is "How can I make me and my wealthy friends wealthier at the expense of the middle class and the poor."
You are clearly someone who has no clue what Rauner is proposing, and from your reply, it's clear to me that you are voting on emotion, not logic. Here's a snapshot from his plan: "Rauner's plan calls for freezing property taxes, rolling back the 2010 tax increase, as well as raising $600 million more in revenue. That would be accomplished by taxing services such as attorneys, chartered flights, trailer parks, golf club membership fees and armored car services."

Yeah, taxing chartered flights, attorneys and golf club memberships are going to really impact the middle class and the poor. And freezing property tax and rolling back the Quinn tax increase will not be beneficial to them as well.

People, vote with your head, not your heart.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:34 AM

2,474 posts, read 4,166,049 times
My head says he's a liar.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:47 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,264,657 times
The "he's a wealthy 1%-er" argument against Rauner is a joke!! You mean Quinn is a pauper, or even middle class?! Give me a break! It's like the pot calling the kettle hot! The Democratic monopoly rule has to be deconstructed! Anybody follow the story about Madigan's lawyer getting the redistricitng referendum thrown off the ballot? Why would the Democratic leader do that? To protect their power and monopoly to continue their "friend's and family" program of self enrichment. And people are saying rauner will do this because he's wealthy? Ignorant

Old 09-23-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
My head says he's a liar.
What does your head tell you about Quinn? That he's full of sunshine and rainbows? Quinn signed off on a 67% hike in personal income taxes for all Illinois residents the month he took office. While on the campaign trail, he told voters he'd veto any income tax hike that would raise Illinois' rate over 4 percent. He raised it to 5%. Sounds like a lie to me. Keep sticking your head in the ground and voting for the political machine that's failed to run this state for years. They're doing such a great job.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:36 AM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
So, you are saying the only people in the world that see everything clearly are the ones that were in the military? Ot that by being in the military it qualifies you for clear vision of the world?
People who are informed in political matters, either study the subject at various levels in college, or they live it. I did both. Have you done either?

Would you argue finance with someone who worked on Wall Street, or studied at Wharton?

I don't understand how people who have zero credentials or living experience with these matters try to argue this stuff.

Old 09-23-2014, 11:44 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
The Democrats have had control of this state for 15 years. Is anyone going to claim they've had a positive effect on the state? The state is in ruins. We are the Greece of the USA, poll after poll and stat after stat show the majority of people are angry and miserable about the condition of the state and want to and are leaving. As for all this Rauner is rich and will only look out for the rich, has anyone other than state/muni union employees benefitted from their fiscal policies?

Old 09-23-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:
People who are informed in political matters, either study the subject at various levels in college, or they live it. I did both. Have you done either?

Would you argue finance with someone who worked on Wall Street, or studied at Wharton?

I don't understand how people who have zero credentials or living experience with these matters try to argue this stuff.

Wow. Aren't you the humble one. Last I checked, you didn't need a Masters in political science to form an opinion and vote. However you do need multiple medical degrees and residency to become a doctor. You do need investment bank experience and must pass a Series 7 to become a Wall Street trader. Now, none of that means you're a good doctor or trader, just that you've passed what law/society says you need to do. Nor does it mean you're honest and trustworthy and I'm sure you'd agree, there are many, many Wall Street traders who wouldn't fit that description. I'm sure you're very smart, but it doesn't mean you're right (or at least right in my opinion and the opinion of many others). For the record, part of my job is geo-political analysis for the worlds largest professional services firm so I'm no dunce on politics. Vote for who you think will do the best job, but in my humble opinion, I didn't see anything in Quinn's first full term that tells me he would do a better job than Rauner.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:09 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,379,084 times
Default Get real

Quote:
Spoken like someone who never put their life on the line in the military.

By not voting Republican, I am acknowledging that I won't support an increasingly irrelevant political party, in obvious decline.
FIRST I gotta say that anybody that espouses views that would exclude those who have have not served in the military from expressing political dissent is so extreme in their views as to be irrelevant. I would further say that if such thinking was fostered by professors at a major private university in the US Capital then we are in even worse shape than some believe.

SECOND there is not a whole lot of evidence that Rauner is really aligned with ANY traditional Republicans in Illinois or Nationally - as is common with MOST highly compensated investment types he has backed politicians from either party when it seems like that would be a good thing for his firm / personal interests.

Anybody that refuses to acknowledge the demonstrable harm done by decades of single party domination in Illinois really paints themselves into a foolish and very narrowly partisan place...

Old 09-23-2014, 12:20 PM

1,909 posts, read 3,783,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleMakers View Post
Wow. Aren't you the humble one. Last I checked, you didn't need a Masters in political science to form an opinion and vote. However you do need multiple medical degrees and residency to become a doctor. You do need investment bank experience and must pass a Series 7 to become a Wall Street trader. Now, none of that means you're a good doctor or trader, just that you've passed what law/society says you need to do. Nor does it mean you're honest and trustworthy and I'm sure you'd agree, there are many, many Wall Street traders who wouldn't fit that description. I'm sure you're very smart, but it doesn't mean you're right (or at least right in my opinion and the opinion of many others). For the record, part of my job is geo-political analysis for the worlds largest professional services firm so I'm no dunce on politics. Vote for who you think will do the best job, but in my humble opinion, I didn't see anything in Quinn's first full term that tells me he would do a better job than Rauner.
Mod cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
FIRST I gotta say that anybody that espouses views that would exclude those who have have not served in the military from expressing political dissent is so extreme in their views as to be irrelevant. I would further say that if such thinking was fostered by professors at a major private university in the US Capital then we are in even worse shape than some believe.

SECOND there is not a whole lot of evidence that Rauner is really aligned with ANY traditional Republicans in Illinois or Nationally - as is common with MOST highly compensated investment types he has backed politicians from either party when it seems like that would be a good thing for his firm / personal interests.

Anybody that refuses to acknowledge the demonstrable harm done by decades of single party domination in Illinois really paints themselves into a foolish and very narrowly partisan place...
Yeah, except I saw teenagers get turned into goo, because a Republican President sent them into battle with out proper armor.

I saw Marines with my own eyes, who got sick to their stomachs, because Republican sponsored private corporations gave them drinking water that was more filthy than the water found in wells in Iraq.

The Republican party is dying a pathetic slow death. Demographic and economic shifts, have pretty much guaranteed that this party will further slide into irrelevancy. The more it slides, the harder they try to fight.

It is pathetic, really. The best part is, the left will take over politics by simple brute strength in numbers. And opponents will have nothing to do but sit there and take it. It's long over due.

Illinois has a choice. Follow suit and join coastal elites in the future, or stay behind with the corn belt.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 09-23-2014 at 01:10 PM.. Reason: Personal attack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies