Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2014, 10:28 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I wanted to add that I fully support small business and I try to pay cash at them whenever possible.

That's a good tip folks if you were unaware.

If you want to support small businesses, instead of getting the 1% perk from your credit card, save them 8% or so by instead paying cash. Not always practical when buying a 10 dollar item but something to keep in mind when making larger purchases.
Cash is always nice, but the days of paying 8 percent for credit cards is WAY, WAY past. I've owned very small businesses since 1981 and never paid more than 5 percent, and the only reason I paid that much was because I wanted to run the cards through my local bank (included the slips in my daily deposit, just like checks). Even then, I could have paid 2 percent if I'd have dealt directly with a credit card company. Most recently I was paying 3 percent, but that's because I resisted the electronic card readers. I quit accepting credit cards last year as I'm coasting into retirement.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:32 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbtornado View Post
Then tell me how you'd run it and change matters
We don't need to change matters. It already worked. The reason things got bad was precisely because we changed matters.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:35 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's not true.

Just look how he took on the healthcare industry by making everybody buy their products.....oh wait.

Let me try again.

Well, look how he took those oil company profits...um nevermind.

Fortune Global 500: Top 10 Most Profitable Companies in The World

Well he definitely shut down the gravy train for companies like Haliburton that only got business because of Bush and Cheney...oh, their stock price is at a record high.

Bush 3.0 suckers. Seriously, I can never figure out why the pro-corporate reps hated Clinton and Obama. The easiest way to f*ck the public is to elect a democratic pro-biz selling sh*t as populist fertilizer and the masses assume the position where if an (R) tried to do it there would be a big hissy fit. NAFTA anyone?
"made everyone buy their product"... I sure wish Obama would make everyone buy my product, that way it could stink and I could give bad customer service but it wouldn't matter, government is making people buy it anyway. Now that's a winner for any company.

Old 09-20-2014, 10:37 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,009,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
We don't need to change matters. It already worked. The reason things got bad was precisely because we changed matters.
When did it get changed and go bad? the 1930's? The tough times in the 1800's? The 1970's? The 2000's? You should give specifics instead of generic rhetoric or its pretty hard for me to understand where you are coming from.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:14 AM

2,499 posts, read 2,625,469 times
bulldog- it is you are. It looks funny when you say someone is ignorant on a topic and use the incorrect word to tell them.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:36 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
From the OP:
" Why do we cater to businesses that's main interest is to make its shareholders happy each quarter by doing whatever is possible to make the most profit and NOT create jobs. Their goal is to make money."
Do you really believe that the owner of a small business didn't start it to make money?
As the former owner of a small business, I can tell you that that perception is absolutely WRONG! I started my business purely to make money. If it would have grown to the point where I could hire one or two people, that would have been wonderful, but that is NOT what I had in mind when I purchased my business license and registered the business name. The purpose of the business was to make a PROFIT, period!
However, due to a poor location and lack of sufficient start-up capital, I became part of the statistic that shows that a LARGE percentage of small business start-ups fail in the first year. The primary reason for failure is lack of sufficient PROFIT to keep the business going.
There can be many reason for that lack of PROFIT, but the fact is that any business that does not make a PROFIT can not remain open, and will create NO jobs!
It doesn't matter how big or small it is, when the owner(s) run out of money, the doors WILL be locked!

Old 09-21-2014, 06:41 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
70% of small businesses are sole proprietors with no employees.

Most small businesses fail for reasons to do with the owners' lack of experience, innovation and competence.
Some owners learn from their failure and try again. Many blame government. Still others don't try and blame government.

The rare innovators don't get bogged down with the blame game.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:48 AM

9,885 posts, read 10,967,002 times
I know EXACTLY why my small business failed!
1. A very poor location. The only thing it had going for it was the fact that I owned the property. Everything else was WRONG!
2. A severe lack of start-up capital. I thought I had enough to make it a year, but it only lasted 6 months. When I ran out of money, I had to lock the doors. Going further into debt was NOT an option.
No government entity had anything to do with the problem.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

Most big business owners are Democrats and Obama supporters..
I am unaware of a requirement to disclose politics as a condition of buying stock.

Are these largest individual shareholders liberal?

Koch Bros?

Walton Family?

Adelson Family?

Carl Icahn?

Rupert Murdoch?

Saudi Royal Family?

Need more?

Wall Street tends to favor the part that will win.

Old 09-21-2014, 07:20 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,538,917 times
The people being hurt by Obamacare legislation are small businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies