Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2014, 04:19 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times

Advertisements

PMF - You are correct. There have been literally millions of different climates over the last three billion years of geologic time. We differentiate sections of this history by major differences in climate with the resulting changes in the flora and fauna resulting from the change.

In terms of geologic climate change I do not think the current change will be very large. Unlike the changes at the end of the Permian or the Cretaceous the expected changes are not likely to place a world wide extinction on humanity. They may discommodate billions of people and upset world wide finance it will not make humanity disappear. It will still be interesting to watch and experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2014, 04:21 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Do you think science is the same as religion where all your answers are printed in a book written thousands of years ago or do you think science evolves as we learn more about the physical world?

You are free to debate what kind of effect man has on global warming, but global warming is happening with or without your approval.

Using your analogy, that would be the same as someone getting a small bit of information cherry picked and claiming that there is no such thing as global warming because their small sampling of information says so. I prefer to rely on science that uses data and research, not guessing.
I'm glad we agree on something. It would be happening regardless of if humans are here or not.

Just like it did millions of times before humans were here.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:22 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,123,798 times
Here's my beef with the climate change scenario. All the positives are overlooked and the negatives exaggerated. No one brings up that plants both grow significantly faster now than they have in the past and are significantly more drought resistant, all because of CO2.

GregW said that New England is more mild than he remembers it. Mild = better, because you can always go inland for more extreme.

The biggest negative of them all is that a lot of land in Canada and Siberia is unusable because the earth is to cold.

It's a change. And change brings both good and bad.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
PMF - You are correct. There have been literally millions of different climates over the last three billion years of geologic time. We differentiate sections of this history by major differences in climate with the resulting changes in the flora and fauna resulting from the change.

In terms of geologic climate change I do not think the current change will be very large. Unlike the changes at the end of the Permian or the Cretaceous the expected changes are not likely to place a world wide extinction on humanity. They may discommodate billions of people and upset world wide finance it will not make humanity disappear. It will still be interesting to watch and experience.

I agree, one thing about humans is that they are incredibly flexible and adapt to whatever environment Mother Nature throws at them.

Humans were down to something like 16,000 during a major ice age in the past I read, and came all the way back to 7 billion today. Change, change, change. Something that Earth and humans have done together for the tiny fraction of time humans have been on this Earth (compared to the age of the Earth).

Old 09-22-2014, 04:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I'm glad we agree on something. It would be happening regardless of if humans are here or not.

Just like it did millions of times before humans were here.
Maybe, maybe not, but I want scientists to continue to research the causes of why it is happen, what kind of effect we are having, and what we can do to effect any changes, and what we can do to prepare.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:28 PM

13,307 posts, read 7,864,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Here's my beef with the climate change scenario. All the positives are overlooked and the negatives exaggerated. No one brings up that plants both grow significantly faster now than they have in the past and are significantly more drought resistant, all because of CO2.

GregW said that New England is more mild than he remembers it. Mild = better, because you can always go inland for more extreme.

The biggest negative of them all is that a lot of land in Canada and Siberia is unusable because the earth is to cold.

It's a change. And change brings both good and bad.
Russia could win the cold war!

Old 09-22-2014, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Maybe, maybe not, but I want scientists to continue to research the causes of why it is happen, what kind of effect we are having, and what we can do to effect any changes, and what we can do to prepare.
I want scientists to learn as much as they can with an open mind and try to keep their findings, their knowledge and their view of what they think they know relative to the complexity of the Earth's ecosystem.

They think they know what CO2 in the atmosphere does, BUT THEY REALLY DON'T. They are just working on a hypothesis. And look at the conclusions they have jumped to, to the ruination of entire industries and livelihoods. Shutting these coal plants is a disaster to our economy. No one has really felt the effects yet.

Just wait. You'll see your elec bill double and maybe triple because of what is coming down the pipe with this insane agenda.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:35 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I want scientists to learn as much as they can with an open mind and try to keep their findings, their knowledge and their view of what they think they know relative to the complexity of the Earth's ecosystem.

They think they know what CO2 in the atmosphere does, BUT THEY REALLY DON'T. They are just working on a hypothesis. And look at the conclusions they have jumped to, to the ruination of entire industries and livelihoods. Shutting these coal plants is a disaster to our economy. No one has really felt the effects yet.

Just wait. You'll see your elec bill double and maybe triple because of what is coming down the pipe with this insane agenda.
When was the last time you were near a coal power plant and thought that is some fresh air that thing is pumping out? I don't know about you, but I like having clean air to breath, it helps me live and I would like to preserve my clean air as much as possible and a coal power plant doesn't provide me with clean air.

Also, if you want scientists to learn as much as they can, why do you not like what they learn from their research? Do you only want them to just produce research you agree with?

Old 09-22-2014, 06:57 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
Science is never settled, climate or otherwise. It is always a work in progress. Thankfully, it is not work that belongs in the twittersphere.

S.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:58 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,509,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
Oh my goodness.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies