Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 03:23 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
What about brains?

[]
The results of the 2012 Presidential election definitively disprove that notion.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:34 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,131,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
When President Truman unleashed the atomic bomb on Japan to end WWII, it was said that solution to war would never again be used.
I think perhaps it may be time to re-think that policy when dealing with isis.
Obviously many, many lives would be lost, but one would have to admit, if an a bomb were dropped on Syria, I believe the isis problem would be a thing of the past.
Back when Japan was bombed, we were feared by the rest of the world.
We were a nation others didn't dare fool with.
Perhaps we need to once again show the rest of the world that we are a nation of strength, not weakness.
Bob.
What a weird perversion of history you seem to have latched onto... I'm just glad no one in any position of power in the US thinks this way...

Old 09-23-2014, 03:46 PM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
How about this for dealing with ISIS...

Let the Saudis, Turks and Jordanians, who are right next door and have more than capable military forces, tend to their ISIS problem. The fact that they aren't particularly worked up over it tells me the media here are campaigning for another stupid middle east quagmire that isn't our fight.

We never learn.

The Turks, for one, have stated that their co=operation may even include troops to fight.
I'd count that as concerned.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:31 PM

8,497 posts, read 3,339,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
When President Truman unleashed the atomic bomb on Japan to end WWII, it was said that solution to war would never again be used.
I think perhaps it may be time to re-think that policy when dealing with isis.
Obviously many, many lives would be lost, but one would have to admit, if an a bomb were dropped on Syria, I believe the isis problem would be a thing of the past.
Back when Japan was bombed, we were feared by the rest of the world.
We were a nation others didn't dare fool with.
Perhaps we need to once again show the rest of the world that we are a nation of strength, not weakness.
Bob.
You know this may be a genius of an idea that will finally heal the 1,300 year old Sunni-Shia schism with Americans now the universally acclaimed target.

A U.S. mass killing of a largely non-combatant Sunni population in a Middle East dominated by Sunni regimes? Somehow I don't think the world response will be to view us as a nation of strength.

How could any current Sunni regime survive without labeling - and treating - us as a terrorist nation? Sure we've substantially reduced our dependence on oil from the Middle East compared to what it was during the embargoes of the early 1970s. Even so, my take is that reprisals in the form of embargoes would be the least of our worries.

Would our nuking Syria and/or Iraq de-stabilize currently secular Muslim countries like Turkey? Undercut any hope that soldiers other than Americans be willing to fight ISIS? How many currently moderate or even secular Muslims might become radicalized - an issue particularly pertinent for our current and probably now former European allies. What form might reprisals take? How would Israel fare in the resulting turmoil?

And all this completely leaves aside the political turmoil that would almost certainly erupt in the United States.

As for your example of Japan? What's most relevant here is NOT that the use of atomic bombs was morally justified (rightly or wrongly) in order to prevent one million US casualties (a conservative estimate), not to mention probably saving more Japanese lives than may have been lost in Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Rather, here I would note that in 1945 we were the ONLY nation that possessed atomic weaponry. I don't believe that remains the case today.

Old 09-23-2014, 04:41 PM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

What I don't understand is why the Muslims fund Muslim terrorists and why aren't the Christians funding Christian terrorists to help fight back? Can't the Pope send over a few million to the Christians over there for arms?
Were you intentionally advocating another crusade?

Old 09-23-2014, 05:08 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Default Here's a fact:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Project much?

Pointing out facts does not equate fear. What is wrong with you?
I don't start sweating when the middle east acts exactly like the middle east has for thousands of years.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:12 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
The Turks, for one, have stated that their co=operation may even include troops to fight.
I'd count that as concerned.
I hadn't heard that.

Interesting development.

Do you have a link to that report?

As I've been saying for weeks now; the nations in the immediate vicinity need to clean up their own back yard. It's MUCH more a problem for them than it is for us. In all honesty, the Turks could obliterate ISIS in little time w/o even breaking a sweat. They're not Arabs. Those guys know how to fight and win. They beat up the Brits pretty badly in WW1.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:14 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,519,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
A few fuel air bombs would do wonders for those terrorists.

For those of you not familiar with fuel-air bombs, picture your average sized propane delivery truck leaking out all of it's gas and then exploding it. Ka-WHOOOMMMM!!! Fuel-air bombs did wonders during Vietnam clearing LZs by flattening EVERYTHING around and the over-pressure is terrific. I am sure that the new ones are even more deadly.
And we sure won that war!

Old 09-23-2014, 05:18 PM

22,660 posts, read 24,589,306 times
Syria, huh......the ME is full of radical headchoppers...........whack-a-mole at best.

Best we could do is send a very clear message that you will pay dearly for your attacks on America/Americans/American interests.

Nuke them.....ummm, no!

Old 09-23-2014, 06:53 PM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Can't we just nuke Ebola instead?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies