Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 11:36 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,032,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Yes he is. He is intelligent to know that chastising blacks is an easy way to make extra money. The RW hate machine will pay you handsomely to do so.

Really? I dare him to cut the programs that made him.
He isn't chastising blacks, he's chastising lazy people who aren't smart enough to vote for good political candidates. Those people come in all colors these days, look how diverse the dem party claims to be.

Which program made him? Carson created the department that he's run for over a decade, are you even aware of who he is?

Old 09-23-2014, 11:56 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Carson needs to just go somewhere and enjoy his retirement. He has had an extraordinary life and an extraordinary career, and when he speaks he speaks in terms that resonate with the average listener. Professionally he was a pioneer in his field, and personally he seems like a good and decent man.

But there is nothing in his background that has prepared him to be the president of the most powerful nation in the world. The world is too complicated and too dangerous. The country is too struggling and too weary. We cannot afford to have one more person in the WH who will be in OJT mode. I hope that very quickly his aspirations to be president of the United States are put to rest, so we can move on to finding someone who can really lead this nation.
I agree with you. I just wish folks would of thought of that, BEFORE they voted for Obama

Let's face it. The pickings have been very slim lately. There are so many better prepared for public service, e.g. military service or business acumen or have had a state leadership role. It's not Obama's fault that he doesn't have a clue, his previous experience in life was a no brainer to foresee that.

I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong with George Walker Bush, because he had the usual check marks for public service, except I never felt it was "his" Presidency. Too much in the shadow of Father & friends (Cheney). When you lead from behind you surely fail.

And then you have someone like a Gary Johnson who was a successful governor of a state and business man who should have gotten more votes, except for the anatomy of the two party system.

So keep your fingers crossed - hoping for someone better than what we've had.
And no, it is NOT Hillary. I'd like to see her run a state, even a city, before she heads anything at the top again. She was miserable at it at the State Department.

I'd like to see a Johnson, or a Huntsman run again.
I'm kind of leading towards those that want to run need to be governors first, but then...see above

Old 09-23-2014, 12:01 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I agree with you. I just wish folks would of thought of that, BEFORE they voted for Obama

Let's face it. The pickings have been very slim lately. There are so many better prepared for public service, e.g. military service or business acumen or have had a state leadership role. It's not Obama's fault that he doesn't have a clue, his previous experience in life was a no brainer to foresee that.

I'm still trying to figure out what went wrong with George Walker Bush, because he had the usual check marks for public service, except I never felt it was "his" Presidency. Too much in the shadow of Father & friends (Cheney). When you lead from behind you surely fail.

And then you have someone like a Gary Johnson who was a successful governor of a state and business man who should have gotten more votes, except for the anatomy of the two party system.

So keep your fingers crossed - hoping for someone better than what we've had.
And no, it is NOT Hillary. I'd like to see her run a state, even a city, before she heads anything at the top again. She was miserable at it at the State Department.

I'd like to see a Johnson, or a Huntsman run again.
I'm kind of leading towards those that want to run need to be governors first, but then...see above
I would rather have a general in the military run for president than a career politician. I have more respect for them and they're grounded in patriotism.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I would rather have a general in the military run for president than a career politician. I have more respect for them and they're grounded in patriotism.
You mean like an Eisenhower who got us into Vietnam. No thank you.
They do what they do best - war. But I see what you mean about career politicians. A Joe
Biden who has not known anything else EXCEPT Washington would be a danger in the
White House IMO.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:10 PM

687 posts, read 1,377,180 times
Ben Carson's views on gun control are somewhat left of Bloomberg. Just last year he told Glen Beck that he supports banning semiautomatic guns in cities.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:15 PM

3,201 posts, read 4,409,928 times
it works for the left

it was a point during the 08 election where folks kept saying how "he ran a campaign" as a qualification for pres

we all have come to the concl;usion now, that ANYONE is qualified as long as they are on your team

POTUS as you all say is just a figurehead position so you can basically plug in a monkey and we are good to go

Old 09-23-2014, 12:16 PM

16,582 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

All presidents OJT...there's no corollary job to being the president and no amount of executive experience can prepare you for it.
Wrong

As others have said to you, being a governor is in fact one of the most unique jobs tailored to being a POTUS. Why do you think a majority of elected presidents were former governors?

It is almost a mirror image, just on a smaller scale. For example you are the chief executive of the state, are sworn to uphold it's Constitution, must present budgets, work with the opposition party in the State House & Senate, deal with state emergencies like natural disasters, control the National Guard, give state of the state addresses, etc., etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Reagan also turned out to be a rather effective Governor, before taking the Presidency of a nation.
Obama, not so much.

Even Bush was an effective governor.
So was Clinton.
Exactly correct, and whether someone wishes to be partisan and only rate guys who were governor of their own party effective, it still is the best experience to be an effective POTUS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't know that Reagan was an effective anything...let alone governor. Neither do you for that matter.

I don't know that Bush was either.

Clinton, maybe. But I don't know that. Didn't live in Arkansas. Neither did you.

Just because you do not know something, it does not mean others on not educated on the subject. All it will take is a little research from a credible source (i.e. not Wiki) to determine who was effective and who was not. Logically and in reality, if they were poor governors, chances are they were not elected president because of a poor track record. The 3 you list in your post were considered effective governors, as are most if not all the former governors who went on to be elected president.
So look up only (D's) POTUS's if you like, but never think that being governor does not uniquely give someone the exact type of experience to be a POTUS.

`

Old 09-23-2014, 12:17 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,884,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
You mean like an Eisenhower who got us into Vietnam. No thank you.
They do what they do best - war. But I see what you mean about career politicians. A Joe
Biden who has not known anything else EXCEPT Washington would be a danger in the
White House IMO.
Ike Sent Advisors to Help the French and Vietnam. It was JFK and LBJ that turned it into a full scale war.

Back on topic. It seems to that the Black Liberals hate Black successful men and Women. It a never ending conflict of two social outlooks. It is like how dare successful Black Americans break out of poverty?

We had a community Organizer and a Senator had 143 (not sure) present votes in the Senate and that mans name is President Obama. We have several members of congress that are doctors and surgeons that perform well service their districts well.

Time will tell if Dr, Carson will run and he has the opportunity to Succeed or fail. That is the American way.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Ike Sent Advisors to Help the French and Vietnam. It was JFK and LBJ that turned it into a full scale war.

Back on topic. It seems to that the Black Liberals hate Black successful men and Women. It a never ending conflict of two social outlooks. It is like how dare successful Black Americans break out of poverty?

We had a community Organizer and a Senator had 143 (not sure) present votes in the Senate and that mans name is President Obama. We have several members of congress that are doctors and surgeons that perform well service their districts well.

Time will tell if Dr, Carson will run and he has the opportunity to Succeed or fail. That is the American way.
While Kennedy continued, and LBJ escalated the war, it was Eisenhower who first got us into Vietnam I think Ike sent the CIA Sure, he warned of the military industrial complex, but his defense spending remained really high. I'm not crazy about the "brinkmanship" philosophy - deliberately pushing adversaries to the brink of war in order to halt aggressive. An expensive, dangerous game of chicken. The cold war mentality was a real waste IMO. And I didn't like the power he gave the CIA.

I'm just not crazy for military folks as Presidents. Sure some military service but not lifetime service in today's society.

I agree time will tell for Ben Carson, but I am of the opinion as some others, that running something, e.g. "governor" prepares/gives the best experience/measure of how one would be a President in THIS day and age.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:56 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,519,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgia dem View Post
This man has really bought into his own ego
when Barack Obama spoke at the Democrat Convention
I was blown away
WOW where did he come from!!??
I would have voted for him right then
I had been a democrat since my first vote at 18 for George McGovern

I did not vote for Obama, I had foolishly supported Hillary
and after I got to know Obama I was so against him and his BS
So I voted for the first time against the party

Now all these years later the Republicans have learned nothing!!
Some of them have heard Ben Carson make a speech and now are pushing him to run, but it is his OWN ego that has answered!!
He is no more qualified to be president than our CURRENT one and he has been in office 6 years!!!
I heard him interviewed yesterday and when asked when he would make it official he said he had until next MAY
LOL
he thinks he is SO brilliant, he can slide in at the last minute
good lord!!
Somebody tell this jerk to sit down
and he is RIGHT NOW saying MILLIONS of people are clambering for him to run!! MILLIONS?? REALLY!!!
And the jerks on the radio keep having him on
good grief
we need someone who can at least has been governor like Jindal or Scott
not some doctor who has fallen in love with HIS PUBLIC
How racist. You want to keep a black man in his place because you don't like what he says. Just proves the biggest racists are usually dems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies