Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 07:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Transgender ‘female’ MMA fighter gives female opponent concussion, broken eye socket | News | LifeSite

I am not without sympathy and affection for the transgendered among us. I had my views turned around when my greatest teacher ever, Donald McCloskey, underwent the change and became Deidre McCloskey. He/she wrote a wonderful book about it.
Deirdre McCloskey on Gender Crossing

That said, aren't there some practical considerations here? Do we want to have men fighting women in the ring in the name of equality?

Is political correctness worth a broken eye socket?
They wanted equality and now they have it.
What is in your mind about which sex you are trumps the muscles in your arm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 07:56 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Why not? If we can produce Olympians then it is reasonable to assume the class is good enough for professionals. What matters most in Judo is skill and technique, not size and brute strength.
Size and brute strength in a real conflict are huge advantages.

A specific style that only encompasses small parts of real physical conflicts and has rules to limit striking is not the best comparison.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:13 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Size and brute strength in a real conflict are huge advantages.

A specific style that only encompasses small parts of real physical conflicts and has rules to limit striking is not the best comparison.
Is not the best comparison to what? Obviously I'm talking about Judo and the article is talking about MMA, but other than that the point still stands.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:36 AM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Is not the best comparison to what? Obviously I'm talking about Judo and the article is talking about MMA, but other than that the point still stands.
Judo, which focuses on grappling/throws, is not comparable to mma, which mixes many types of martial arts that focus on striking, grappling, and submissions. Size and strength are very important in striking and in submissions.

If thinking the physical size and strength of males makes no difference helps you sleep at night than carry on. Though if that were true, why do we segregate male/female in every physical competition?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:42 AM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
Good news for Ray Rice. All he has to do is put on a skirt to begin his new career.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:46 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I don't think anyone who changes their gender from whatever sex they were at birth should be allowed to compete in anything against others of their gender. It's just one of those things in life you don't get to do so find something else and don't cry about it.
It is impossible to change one's sex. A man lopping off something, pumping himself full of hormones for the rest of his life, donning a skirt, wig, and applying makeup does not a woman make.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:49 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,257,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Judo, which focuses on grappling/throws, is not comparable to mma, which mixes many types of martial arts that focus on striking, grappling, and submissions. Size and strength are very important in striking and in submissions.

If thinking the physical size and strength of males makes no difference helps you sleep at night than carry on. Though if that were true, why do we segregate male/female in every physical competition?
I'm aware of the different brute strength needs and pointed that out earlier.

Quote:
I'm just saying, I can see claims of unfairness or some other complaint. A TS girl sued some school for making her stay with the guys - not sure what the issue was, but she won if I'm not mistaken.

For the record, the judo class I go to allows women to fight the men, but brute strength isn't that important in Judo. Very few women have even taken the class though.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:50 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Transgender ‘female’ MMA fighter gives female opponent concussion, broken eye socket | News | LifeSite

I am not without sympathy and affection for the transgendered among us. I had my views turned around when my greatest teacher ever, Donald McCloskey, underwent the change and became Deidre McCloskey. He/she wrote a wonderful book about it.
Deirdre McCloskey on Gender Crossing

That said, aren't there some practical considerations here? Do we want to have men fighting women in the ring in the name of equality?

Is political correctness worth a broken eye socket?
If he/she thinks she is a girl, than she is, right?

Old 09-25-2014, 12:16 PM

1,300 posts, read 959,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
It is impossible to change one's sex. A man lopping off something, pumping himself full of hormones for the rest of his life, donning a skirt, wig, and applying makeup does not a woman make.

I agree. I support LBTG rights but the trans community in particular have a propensity for extreme delusion.
They can be annoying in their insistence that we basically suppress common sense and scientific fact in order that they may more easily indulge in what is essentially a delusion. I believe we ought refer to them as whichever gender they desire to be publicly out of courtesy but it is just that and no more. The physical fact is that they are and always will be the gender to which they were born. The "brain/soul of one gender born in the body of the opposite gender" is ascientific nonsense.

When the issue is competitive fairness in athletics the physical facts should prevail over all else. This guy made a voluntary choice to become a woman. A choice that was obviously very important to him. But choices have consequences. He and others like him cant simply have it all and bully any who disagree with charges of "bigotry". In order for him to obtain what he most wanted means that there are some other things that he simply cannot have, thats the real world physical fact that some of these adult children cant accept.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:44 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They wanted equality and now they have it.
Wondering what "they" you are talking about, what "equality" you are talking about, and what you think the problem really is. It's such a throwaway comment without putting context there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies