Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2014, 10:09 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2religious View Post
Condoms are unaffordable for many teenagers and young adults without any jobs. Should condoms be given out for free to those people to prevent diseases and unexpected pregnancies? Teenagers having babies often means living under poverty which will cost us tax payers money in other ways such as food stamp, health care, etc.

What do you think?
Teen births have been declining for decades. It's the 20-30 somethings that engage in unprotected sex and get surprised at the outcome. Go figure. The guy's most unlikely to seemed the most prepared.

Back in the day, it seemed every teen boy carried a condom in his wallet, purchased for 25 cents via a vending machine.

If one cannot afford a condom, one really should not engage in sexual activity. That's never stopped anyone.

Most teens don't have access to clinics and PP. If free condoms is what it takes, make them available.

I suspect the Hobby Lobby crowd may not appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2014, 10:23 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Well I prefer condoms to welfare but these are the people who shouldn't be having sex. Teens are too young.
Biology says otherwise.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:24 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Most health clinics and planned parenthoods give out a brown sandwich baggie of them around here.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:30 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,979,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Well I prefer condoms to welfare but these are the people who shouldn't be having sex. Teens are too young.
There's a couple of million years of evolution driving a deep-seated, basic urge vs. your "shouldn't", so...

Then again I'm from a country where condoms aren't even chuckle-worthy once you're over 13 or so. Arm the kids with some knowledge and the basic implements, and they'll mostly make smart decisions.

Old 09-24-2014, 10:38 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
Most health clinics and planned parenthoods give out a brown sandwich baggie of them around here.
What are kids out in the country supposed to do, ask their parents to drive them there?

I think there should be vending machines in the school restrooms, boys and girls.

Having to ask an adult for a condom will defeat the purpose in many cases and the kids will just take a chance instead.

The machines should also be the norm in restaurants, stores, gas stations, etc., places where kids could surreptitiously pick them up during summer and school breaks without getting an adult involved. {and that includes women's rest rooms}

Old 09-24-2014, 10:54 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,842,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
What are kids out in the country supposed to do, ask their parents to drive them there?

I think there should be vending machines in the school restrooms, boys and girls.

Having to ask an adult for a condom will defeat the purpose in many cases and the kids will just take a chance instead.

The machines should also be the norm in restaurants, stores, gas stations, etc., places where kids could surreptitiously pick them up during summer and school breaks without getting an adult involved. {and that includes women's rest rooms}
I dont know that answer but you do bring up a good point- school nurse or even gas stations ( i know they use to?)

Old 09-24-2014, 11:15 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,893,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2religious View Post
Condoms are unaffordable for many teenagers and young adults without any jobs. Should condoms be given out for free to those people to prevent diseases and unexpected pregnancies? Teenagers having babies often means living under poverty which will cost us tax payers money in other ways such as food stamp, health care, etc.

What do you think?
Why not take the responsible and sensible approach of encouraging abstinence and teaching kids that there are consequences to their actions? Why does this society insist on normalizing, moralizing, and promoting promiscuity?

Perhaps instead of encouraging people not to drink and drive, we should just hand out free breathalyzers.

Same thing.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Why not take the responsible and sensible approach of encouraging abstinence and teaching kids that there are consequences to their actions? Why does this society insist on normalizing, moralizing, and promoting promiscuity?

Perhaps instead of encouraging people not to drink and drive, we should just hand out free breathalyzers.

Same thing.
We know that teaching abstinence doesn't work. If teaching abstinence worked the south wouldn't be in such a mess.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:24 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,042,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post
I dont know that answer but you do bring up a good point- school nurse or even gas stations ( i know they use to?)
How many kids would ask the school nurse for a condom.....a nurse who might call their parents and tell them what their kid just asked for?

Honestly, I'm 61 and rarely go into public restrooms anymore, and when I do, I don't pay attention.

I do remember, however, that when I was older, but still in need of feminine products, I did notice that those were not available in many public restrooms like they were when I was younger. What's with that?

Anyway, condoms should at least be in men's and women's restrooms in places like McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc., places where a kid could make an excuse to go to the bathroom and get what they need even if they are there with their parents.

Old 09-24-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
How many kids would ask the school nurse for a condom.....a nurse who might call their parents and tell them what their kid just asked for?

Honestly, I'm 61 and rarely go into public restrooms anymore, and when I do, I don't pay attention.

I do remember, however, that when I was older, but still in need of feminine products, I did notice that those were not available in many public restrooms like they were when I was younger. What's with that?

Anyway, condoms should at least be in men's and women's restrooms in places like McDonalds, Taco Bell, etc., places where a kid could make an excuse to go to the bathroom and get what they need even if they are there with their parents.
I've only ever seen a condom machine in one bar restroom. I thought "awesome", so I bought one. The condom ended up being too small and I ended up taking it off. It really isn't that difficult to get them from gas stations though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies