Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:09 PM

30,231 posts, read 23,665,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Yes, I learned this in college and my life was at least okay until my health and income collapsed and I was reduced to renting rooms in random houses with random people. I had a 450-sq ft studio for almost 15 years and was happily selling online when I landed in hospital.

There is probably a shortage of studio units in most areas, relative to demand, and I cannot now afford the cheapest tiny studio.
I don't know where you live, but I'm sure there's something out there that you can afford. Like I said, you probably won't like it, and it's not going to be in a nice neighborhood, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get ahead.

Even in Seattle, a very expensive place to live, there are hotels that you can rent by the week and it won't cost you an arm and a leg. They are very cheap, and the people who go there are riff raff...but most of them won't bother you, personally. They are usually the "come and go" type, if you understand what I'm saying. Usually those places have other people living there long term, and the majority of those living there long term don't want problems. One thing some people don't understand, those who live in very poor neighborhoods don't stay silent when they see things that can jeopardize their own life. They typically don't have another place to go, and they don't want some idiots completely ruining it for them. Yes, you'll see more drunks, and losers, and morons, and they will be tolerated to an extent, but if someone is going around causing problems for people who live there, that someone isn't going to last long there.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:13 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,404,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Google "due diligence", or does someone else have to do it for you?

And exactly HowTF does one do that on a freaking ROOM? Researching the property and the owner did not yield any relevant information that would tip me off to the ongoing soap opera in the house.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Um, the resident drunk sets the rent and the house rules. He gets the fix he needs daily because he gets the money he needs one way or another; if he doesn't short me on the cable bill he jacks up the rent, and if I complain that he didn't give me 30 day notice on the rent increase he kicks me out the following month. He does this to the others and usually wins more often than he loses; he jacked up another guy's rent and the guy bailed, owing him $25 on utilities.
He doesn't have the right to do that...did you not sign a lease? If you didn't, then all of this is on you. If this is the living situation, find another place to live.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:18 PM

17,391 posts, read 11,946,873 times
Quote:
Yes, but I got tired of being a perpetual part time student working my way through school. and eventually reached the point where I just wanted to graduate and get a real job.

If internet is in my name, how does someone put cable from the same provider in their name?

The way cable and internet work is that they charge up the wazoo for just ONE and then offer a bundled price for both; the incremental cost of adding cable was actually minimal. And since the resident drunk was drinking and moping and being a volatile PITA all day, I considered it a worthwhile expense to make the drunk less intolerable to live with.
Except this was 30 years ago, and you never got that real job......

Old 09-25-2014, 01:18 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,388,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The technology can allow the lender to just shut off your car, remotely, for a missed or late loan payment. They can also track the location of your car at any time.

"...before they can drive off the lot, many subprime borrowers like Ms. Bolender must have their car outfitted with a so-called starter interrupt device, which allows lenders to remotely disable the ignition. Using the GPS technology on the devices, the lenders can also track the cars’ location and movements."

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/09/...t-car/?src=twr

So, I have a question. If the lender shuts off your car while you are driving it on a highway and a minivan rear ends you and that other driver winds up dead, can they arrest the lender for vehicular manslaughter?

This is scary stuff especially the privacy part. Also, how long will it take criminals to figure out the technology and shut your car down while you are driving alone? I remember decades ago they had this technology and they were going to give it to law enforcement to end high speed chases but they were afraid if criminals got their hands on it, it could be very dangerous. They claim they can't do it while the car is moving but that's not what people in the article say and it doesn't match what I remember hearing.

Once again, Congress is behind the technology eight ball. I'm not against repo-ing a car but this seems a little dangerous.
That's some tough stuff but I'm not opposed to the devices. However they need to be prudent when and where they shut them down.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I don't know where you live, but I'm sure there's something out there that you can afford. Like I said, you probably won't like it, and it's not going to be in a nice neighborhood, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do to get ahead.

Even in Seattle, a very expensive place to live, there are hotels that you can rent by the week and it won't cost you an arm and a leg. They are very cheap, and the people who go there are riff raff...but most of them won't bother you, personally. They are usually the "come and go" type, if you understand what I'm saying. Usually those places have other people living there long term, and the majority of those living there long term don't want problems. One thing some people don't understand, those who live in very poor neighborhoods don't stay silent when they see things that can jeopardize their own life. They typically don't have another place to go, and they don't want some idiots completely ruining it for them. Yes, you'll see more drunks, and losers, and morons, and they will be tolerated to an extent, but if someone is going around causing problems for people who live there, that someone isn't going to last long there.

??? $275 a week in a bedbug hotel won't cost me an arm and a leg????

Old 09-25-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
He doesn't have the right to do that...did you not sign a lease? If you didn't, then all of this is on you. If this is the living situation, find another place to live.

Lease was five years ago; you are aware, I presume, that when leases expire they become month-to-month.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Where do you get that number? You haven't even looked at the hotels in Seattle...are you there, right now, riding around in a car while you're posting?

Old 09-25-2014, 01:24 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,290,378 times
Quote:
Learn a trade.....

In the last two hours I made over $1000 clear.......I changed a submersible water pump.

Old 09-25-2014, 01:29 PM

17,391 posts, read 11,946,873 times
Quote:
Lease was five years ago; you are aware, I presume, that when leases expire they become month-to-month.
Not always. In most cases, when the lease expires, a new lease is negotiated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.